The Firearms Forum banner

should I?: Ruger SP101

Tags
ruger
2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  22dave 
#1 ·
have this buddy who's a dealer and is willing to sell me a like-new Ruger SP101 stainless...for $350...it looks nice and I think I've already made up my mind, but maybe someone else out there has some experience with one.

thanks

#3 ·
If its in good shape $350 is probably a good price... a new SP101 will run around $425 at Buds.

I have one and like oscarmayer says they are solid and good shooters.

#5 ·
i'm lucky to be near a gun shop in a bidding war with another store less than 3 blocks away. they have lowered prices a bunch and sp-101 goes for 385 to 395. with a 10 % discount to police or former police officers
you're not gonna do any better than that!!! :D

#6 ·
now the bad news everyone is so auto crazy they do not discount the price on anything other than bersa's or some kel-tec etc... the colt, springfield, sigs and berettas get top price.wheels guns not selling as well as the automatic get a good discount. same holds true for used guns good prices on wheel guns top prices on most auto's

#7 ·
thanks for the insights-it's chambered for both the 38 and 357...my buddy owned this himself, and hardly used it (barrel shows very little usage and the gun itself looks new)...he was an armorer for a PD and really takes care of what he has...but because he's my bud, the low price...that and it seems like he could use the easy cash.

thanks again...another firearm added to the collection, my first revolver! (have a glock 19, modified my spring 1911, stag AR, romainian AK, and mossberg 500)

#9 ·
I own one and it is an excellent revolver. It is my primary CCW and is a shooter. You won't shoot it loose and it will be around for your grandkids to enjoy.

#10 ·
$350 for a like-new SP101 is not a bad deal. I'd go for it.
I've owned several SP101s. In .357 its a bit of a handful, but with .38+P it's very controllable. It's pretty much a bulletproof carry gun...a little bit heavier than a steel J-frame Smith, but not enough that I ever noticed at the end of the day.

Still have my .22LR SP101 four incher and a .357 three-incher. I need to find another four inch .32H&R Mag to get back the one that I should have never sold...or hope that Ruger brings back the 4" tube in the .327 version!

Excellent little wheelgun!

#11 · (Edited)
Ruger seems to have had problems with barrel installations in the past couple of years, it would appear - with the result that the barrel may not be aligned properly. So the front sight will be off, and it'll shoot either to the right or to the left. Best thing is to check the height of the shoulders of the barrel where it meets the frame with a micrometer. The two sides should be equal. Some of 'em are really good, some of 'em are really bad, and most of 'em are average. And, in my opinion, "average" for the Ruger double action revolvers made in the past couple of years apparently means "slightly misaligned", presumably on the (probably valid) theory that most shooters are bad enough that they wouldn't notice.

#13 ·
I own one and love it! The recoil is a little intense, but is managable with a little practice.

#14 ·
I own one and love it! The recoil is a little intense, but is managable with a little practice.
I suggest you try it with .38 special +P instead of .357, especially for target practice.

#15 ·
The SP101 shoots the .38 Special really well, but I had a hard time with the .357. The recoil pushes the gun straight back smacking my trigger finger so I had to wrap the finger around the trigger which is uncomfortable and does not lend itself to accuracy. I guess it is nice to know you can fire the .357 in this gun but it is not fun to do on a regular basis.
I bought an S&W M&P360 which is a lot more money to buy, but it shoots the same ammo and is 16oz. loaded. It does not seem to recoil any more than my SP101 with .38 special 158gr. rounds. I will not even try the .357 rounds in this little gun, I like my hand.
I believe the SP101 to be one of the best guns I own and I have 8, and have owned 27 over the years. The only exception was the Colt Gold Cup which I should never have sold.

#16 ·
should be approved for my "permit to aquire" today (hawaii is a mandatory 14 day wait on background, follwed by a 10 day period for you to use the permit and then 5 days from purchase to regisration), and i'll get my new toy sometime this week.

thanks for the comments and opinnions.

i miss virginia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.