should I sweat this primer depth?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dexterblack, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dexterblack

dexterblack New Member

Near the People's Republic of Boulder, CO
    Hi

I'm trying to load for a .38-40 Whitney Kennedy. I'm using Rem. 2 1/2 large pistol primers in starline brass. I'm using an RCBS hand primer. The primers only seat to flush. The micrometer shows...flush. I'm using flat tipped round nose lead. Do I need to sweat the primer depth? (New, and newly sized brass.)

Thanks, and Regards,
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

That's where you want it.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ideally you want them .002 to .004 below flush but as long as they are flush and not protruding they will be OK. I have had that issue with rem primers not wanting to go below flush. Same with fed 215Ms too.

The CCIs all seat below flush.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Is the handle on your priming tool closed completely and the priming ram in the fully extended postion? You should be squeezing the handle tighly to the stop/closed position for a proper seat, if you are I'll go with JLA on those Rem primers sitting a hair high.
  5. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Not if they are flush!
  6. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    I suggest you try another shell holder in the hand primer.

I also have the RCBS hand priming tool and a couple of No. 3 shell holders for the 45acp. It shouldn't happen, but one shell holder sets the primers flush and one sets it just below flush. I noticed this when I was getting inconsistent depths and just happened to change out the shell holder.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Me experience is much the same, as long as they are full seated, they will be fine. While primers should be flush once fully seated, I have had some primer/brass combinations that I could not get more than .001 below flush or flush.

Do take this advice though - Only load a few until you verify proper function. You do not want to load up 500 and then find out that there's a problem.
  8. woolleyworm

Good call on checking the shell holder CV !
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Some who use hand primer tools say you can feel the primer anvil's feet touch the bottom of the primer pocket. I don't have a hand tool but I have felt it with my single stage press ram priming of 50 BMG cases.

And size matters. With those mammoth cases, flush seating is not enough and a guarantee of failures to fire. That's very scary when the case holds 220 grains of a very slow powder. With 50BMG cases I seat the primers about 0.020 inches below flush. In fact the dome shape of the primer cup becomes flattened by the process.

For all other regular cases, just below flush is fine. If you can feel that the primer is below flush with your finger it is just fine. High primers in semi-auto guns can lead to slam fires where the closing of the bolt smashes the primer hard enough to set the primer off long before the bolt is fully closed or at least before the shooter is ready to fire again.

You got to get it right! My Dillon RL550B progressive press has no problem doing it right for standard cartridges.

LDBennett
  10. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Myfriend

One other quick note.

I have several thoudsand, new starline .357 brass and the primer pockets on nearly every one of them is too shallow. Just a quick check to see if your starline brass may the problem and not the primers.
    I gave up on them and put them aside until I have the time or patience or both to clean them out a little.:(
    Or sell or trade them to someone with more time and patience.:D

UF
  11. woolleyworm

I had one other comment in reference to your thread title to add :

When it comes to reloading, if there's something that isn't quite right or out of "standard", SWEAT IT ! Do what you did, take the time to ask questions and figure it out.
  12. langenc

langenc Member

Is there carbon in the ones that are only flush?? Carbon could hold the primers out a couple thousands.
  13. woolleyworm

He is using new brass, so I'd hope not. ;) :D It doesn't hurt to check the pocket depth and make sure there's no burrs or abnormal manufacturing defect.