Should I take the .22 or the .25?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 19, 2005.

1. I'd like your opinions guys and gals. About 10 years ago I bought a Beretta 21 in .22LR intended for very deep concealment use when I couldn't carry anything larger. The pistol was always somewhat unreliable, misfiring, on average, about once out of two mags worth of shooting. I tried obtaining new magazines for it, and this seemed to help some, but the problem still persisted to some degree. I didn't think too much about it because I know these little guns tend to be tempermental. Anyway, a month ago I finally sent the weapon back to Beretta to see if they could figure out what was causing the misfires and fix it (we all get a wild hair up the tusshie once in a while :rolleyes: ). Turns out, the damn frame is slightly bent! No, it wasn't due to something I did to the gun, but seems to have been a factory defect, either that, or the dealer that sold it to me slipped me a mickey (knowing him, that is all too possible :mad: ). Since the gun was way out of warranty, Beretta wouldn't replace it one-for-one, even steven, but they did graciously offer to send me a new pistol at MUCH reduced cost in exchange. Here's the problem: Since they offer the .21 Bobcat in both .22 and .25, I'm trying to decide which would be the better choice of caliber for the replacement gun. Beretta is willing to go along with either since the model is the same. The .22 is the better "stopper" according to all the data I've read, but the .25 is a centerfire round designed for auto pistols, so I think it would likely be more functionally reliable. With the new ammo that's recently come out for the little .25 (for example, Speer with its Gold Dot offering), do you think I'd be better off with the little .25 than the .22LR?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2005
  2. jeep45238

jeep45238 New Member

Out of about 13 years of firing .22LR's, I think I've only had 1 or maybe 2 rounds not fire.

I'd go with the .22LR personally. Little easier to get the ammo for it too, everybody sells the stuff.
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I'll second the jeepster. .22LR is the way to go.
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    GO WITH THE .22!!!!! The .25 auto is a puny, underpowered cartridge with a bad habit of not penetrating past the dermis layer of the skin if the recipient is wearing a jacket or heavy clothing. Even the newer generation of bullets don't help much because of the lack of velocity. hile I would never condone the use of a .22 Rimfire as a self-defense weapon - it's better than a sharp stick!

BTW - you might find a box of the Aguila S.S.S. (Super Sniper Subsonic) 60-gr. .22 RF ammo and try some penetration tests at 7 yards to see what they will do. While they are supposed to be used in a rifle with a faster-than-normal twist, they may be accurate enough at close range to be very effective.
  5. jeep45238

jeep45238 New Member

The Aguila SSS round needs a 1:9 rifling twist to stabalize, but when fired from a rifle with that twist, it has penetrated up to 24 inches in ballistic gel.

Tears through phone books like nothin and is subsonic, but you need a tiiiiight barrel twist, and something longer than a pistol, to stabalize it and keep it from going end on end.
  6. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Definately the .22. As already said, the .25 is nearly useless plus the cost of .25 ammo is ridculous.
  7. Thanks a bunch for the helpful responses, guys. I had already more or less reached the same conclusion you have, but it never hurts to get additional input. I'm going to tell Beretta that I'll take the .22LR version. When I get it, I think I will try it with Stingers or Yellow Jackets and see if one or the other is reliable in the gun.
  8. jeep45238

jeep45238 New Member

Make sure you read the manual about the ammo. My buddy's Tec-22 won't shoot anything hollowpointed or with that edge that most .22LR ammo has. Thank god he sold the faucker a couple days ago.

My ruger also states in the manual in big ol red letters not to shoot stingers through them. So do some readin before you start throwin it in there ;-)
  9. Mousegunner

Mousegunner New Member

I agree on going for the .22. You may have reliability problems with a particular brand of ammo, but with .22 you have 20 different choices, and one is bound to work pretty well.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

If you carry a teeniny little gun, you're way ahead of those who don't; assuming you can consistantly HIT with it, which says practice.
    The differential cost in ammo, alone, would seem to say, 22RF, but only if reliability is certain!
    Not trying to Hijack this thread, but similar problems were/are rife with the (US built) Walther TPH, but only in the .22; the .25 had almost none.
    After three pistols, finally, a reliable first shot, double action, pistol.
    I like the idea of cheap ammo, since there's no excuse, then, for lack of practice, and that is what keeps one warm, and breathing, with a tiny gun like this!
    P.S. Take a look at the Quik-Shok, pre fragmented bullet, ammunition, for defensive work; 9 out of 10 Trauma Surgeons hate it!
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  11. excop

excop New Member

That's something I haven't heard before. I have a TPH .22 I bought over 15 years ago. I don't know anyone else that has one and haven't heard about that. I looked in the manual and noticed it said that the gun was designed to use 37 grain hollowpoint or 40 grain solids, and that various types or bullet weights may not function acceptably. Mine has never given me a bit of a problem; it's worked like a swiss watch with anything I've fed it, including stingers. Maybe I just got one off of a good run from the US plant. :D

What is the problem with them, something in the feedramp or mag. design?
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  12. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

the only exception i can think of , is if naa makes one in .25 with their souped up round, that could be fun!
  13. Gunny

Gunny New Member

I'm gonna have to differ with all the other posters. I would go with the 25. mainly for relability both in ingition and feed. I have several 22 and 25;s. I have never had a failure either to go bang or to feed with my 25s. I have both happen with my 22s. Once I went through a brick of winchester green box and at least one failure to fire in each 50 rd box. 22 HPs are, in most cases, fairly soft lead which does cause jamming. I use the FMJ in the 25 since the expansion rate is practically zero and I care more about penatration. I quit carrying the 25 when I realized that I could carry a ti 38 jframe with the same level of concealability in the front pants pocket.
  14. stash247

stash247 New Member

Gunny,MOST of the posters! My worries about Walther,are based on experience; should you happen upon a TPH, in .25 acp, I am 'open to buy', in a heartbeat! I'll say, here in public, the .22 is a better choice, with respect to ammo, all other things being equal, but, where reliability of function is concerned, the .25 has my vote, since alll other things are NOT equal!
  15. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I have had A Baretta 21 in 22LR for about 15 years and i have not had any missfires with it.I too carried it for deep concealment.Once I tried an off brand 22 LR and it would not eject, but that was the only time. It has allways worked with Remington, Winchester, and Federal ammo without any problems.Go for the 22LR ammo is way cheaper=more time shooting.