Should I?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by rmrdaddy, Jan 28, 2004.

1. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

I can acquire a Kimber Tactical II Ultra for $625 plus shipping and transfer fees to my FFL. It looks to be in really nice condition, a little holster wear, and only 40 rounds of Hydroshock thru it. I recently got another purchase permit from my PD and this is looking good. I do NOT have a carry permit, so that would not be an option for me.I will simply be adding this to the arsenal, and hoping to do a little range shooting with it. I understand that a scaled down .45 will probably kick like a mule. I am looking for feedback from anyone out there with experience with this gun, good or bad, and if this looks to be a good deal. Thanks for all the help in advance! Daddy:D
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

RMD, the Kimber will not kick like a mule. Due to the design of the 1911, the recoil is hardly noticable. Also the price is right.

But personally, for range shooting, I'd rather have a full size 1911. Longer sight radius, more weight, could be a bit more accurate for you.

If you plan on shooting IDPA competition and someday getting a CCW, then get the Kimber. It's a great pistol for both. JMHO.
  3. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Shooter,
    Thank you for your reply! I can get this particular gun for what I consider to be a pretty good deal. I am still looking for feedback from others who have one or have seen them for sale in their areas. I understand that the 5" barrel would be an easier to control/possibly more accurate choice, but I am unsure weather to capitalize on this deal ( if it is a good deal)OR spend some more for a different new Kimber. I appreciate any/all help!
    Rob:)
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If your "range" shooting is just plinking sort of stuff.....fine. If it's competitive, the 3" barrel would put you at a serious disadvantage.

The Tactical Ultra II is really designed as a CCW gun. If you're planning on doing competitive range shooting, and since, apparently, you have to get PD permission every time you want to buy a gun........you might be better off with a full size 1911-type.

One more thing.....the Tactical Ultra II has a shorter grip than standard 1911s, and some people find them too short for comfortable shooting........if you have large hands, you probably don't want this gun.

But.....if it's just for fun shooting, and you like a small .45......have a ball.
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I look at it this way, that price looks pretty good to me. I've got an Eclispe Ultra - similar layout. Its one of my two primary carry guns. Since you are not looking for a CCW, this is not the best gun for pure range work

BUT - if you buy it, AND you shoot it a lot at the range, you will become proficient. SO, when you get your carry permit, you will have a gun you are already familiar with, and a great carry gun to boot!! Sounds like a plan to me!!

My ultra does not kick bad, it just has more "flip" than my full size. It is certainly managable. I shoot mine at the range a good deal and it is a fun gun to mess with - just not a paper puncher.
  6. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Thanks to all that replied. I think hell will be freezing over by the time NJ has carry permits available to the regular citizenry. I am still up in the air on this one. Yes, I've got to go to the PD to get each purchase permit, and the chief is beginning to give me the hairy eyeball, so I want to get a gun I'll have forever. I have always wanted a 1911-style .45, and I think i am getting hypnotized by this particular gun and offer. i am going to call around to my local gunshops and see what kind of deal I can get on a full-sized Kimber. Wish me luck! Rob:)
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

LOL , believe me i can relate to that statment