Should you carry a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 76Highboy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Yeah I am with Jack unloaded for transport. In the house loaded shotgun, 5 in the tube zero in the chamber. I don't sleep at nite so I am on watch. I nearly shot a shipmate once. I left an unloaded M-16 in the cox'n flat as I came off duty. He immediately jacked a round in the chamber when I was below decks. When I came up for some freah air we got in a pissn contest. I picked up the rifle and aimed it at his stomach just goofing off. Well I saw the look on his face and a still small voice told me to check the chamber (after all I left it unloaded and assumed it was still that way). Oh yeah there was a round in the chamber. I turned sheet white and weal kneed when I realized what I had almost done. NOW when I pick up a wapon I always check it and am very careful where the barrel is pointed. Ahhht the stupidity of youth. We still converse-he is a judge in Arkansas. I ask do you remember the time I almost killed you. His answer was which time??:eek: Must have been the grenades I pitched for swimmers. Before I let it fly, I cocked my aarm for max distance- well my gun mount was higer that his and when I got ready to pitch the grenade it was right in his face as I cocked my arm back and down:eek:
  2. JTofGPD

JTofGPD New Member

Carrying a battle weapon unchambered is not that brilliant (tactical perspective, but if your gun cant be carried "ready to rock" due to age or design, then you might want to find a better battle pistol). When you need it you will be in a condition Dave Grossman call conditions red and your blood pressure spikes, motor control drops, and your auditory systems drop. Making slide work slower and harder. You drop to the level of your training, not rise to the occasion. Most people don't train under live fire or train malfunctions/ slidework. Carry it chambered or someone will have to peel you off the cement.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

YUP.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1.
  5. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

Way back before the wheel was invented, I was part of a Marine detachment on board the USS America (CV-66). We guarded 4 nuclear weapon posts on the ship. Standard weapon was a 1911 that we HAD to carry unloaded. We had 5 rounds in the mag and none in the pipe. Didn't make sense then doesn't make sense now
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Had the same scenario when Nite guard on an ammo dump-one A**hole took the powder out of the rounds as a joke-he was BORED (we were in Alaska) and cold- hahaha:rolleyes:- we once had an IRA alert when they were moving some uh "gas" within the base- I was the Company NBCNCO then- made sure ready alert squad on standby had "real" gas filters in their masks instead of "tear" gas filters. Got my a** chewed by Brigade Chemical NCO. Company XO defended me said I did good:D
  7. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Everything I have is always loaded. They are tools and they don't work without bullets in them.
  8. jaydub

jaydub Former Guest

Target, We did the same thing on board the carrier. I'll bet over half the rounds would have been squibs. It's amazing how bored you can get standing a 4 hour post.:D
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

LOL:D
  10. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That girl is "Limatunes". Her & her husband run www.defensivecarry.com .

They don't allow political or religious stuff over there. But, we have some real good scenario discussions. The site has a lot of LEO, EMT & firearms instructors. So the discussions are usually pretty informative.

In this particular training she said she was truly startled by the instructor; even though she was "expecting" the attack.

The woman that runs "The Cornered Cat" is also a member over there.

-
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  11. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I unload to reload. Every hole in the cylinder is filled, and the 1911 or P-35 have one up the spout.
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I just started to CCW a couple weeks ago.
    New gun, new holster, new experience. I carried YEARS ago, but always open cary with a ruger High Standard 929, a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Ruger Single Six. Round under the hammer or not, all are ready to go with the first cocking.

But this is different -
    I imagined all sorts of scenarios where the gun slips from the holster, something snags the trigger, and I have an AD due to no external positive safety on the Glock 17.

So, the first three days that I carried it, it had nothing up the spout.

Those three days gave me confidence in the weapon AND in the locking holster I cary it in.
    It CAN'T come out without my pressing the release button.
    The trigger is covered and CAN'T get snagged while the gun is in the holster.
    So now, I have one in the pipe and 17 more below it.
    And I just ordered another magazine and a belt holder for two of them.
    I cannot imagine a scenario that 52 rounds won't handle.

But my main reason for carying condition 1 is not speed -
    The scenario I am more likely to encounter is not someone near me attacking me, but being just a person in a crowd that is being fired into.
    I draw while their attention is on someone else -
    I chamber a round - "Chunk kerchunk" -
    And the sound makes me the next target.
    I would rather the first sound the BG hears from me is "Boom", immediately following the bullet he is struck with.

And yes, in the service I faced the same idiocy!
    EVERY 1911 I carried had an empty chamber.
    EVERY M1 I carried had an empty chamber.
    EVERY AR15 I carried had an empty chamber. (Yeah, back then it WAS called an AR-15)

I did not eat the mashed potatoes in the chow hall, at least - - -
  13. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I'm a revolver nut. I prefer single actions or double actions with hammers. I can draw and cock the hammer in one movement and am ready to go. I also have Glock 36 and carry it with a round in the pipe, I like the idea of 6+1 better than 6 even though all my peacemakers are 6 and my carry revolvers are 5 shots. What's the point of an unloaded gun?
  14. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Why my brother do you bear a weapon and yet you are not armed.:(
  15. 76Highboy

Who are you asking Dog Soldier?
  16. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Carried my M1911A1 daily for 30+ years with 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, and hammer all the way down. Yeah, yeah, I know, when carrying with a chambered round the experts advise cocked and locked. Well, about a thousand years ago HP White Labs did a drop test on the 1911 - before the advent of the Series 80 firing pin block, and found that, yes, the pistol would discharge, but only if dropped from a height of at least 11 feet, and landing square on it's muzzle - therby imparting sufficient inertia for the pin to fly forward against spring pressure and strike the primer. Hammer down or hammer cocked and locked would've netted the same result, and since I didn't anticipate having to draw my sidearm while standing atop a ladder I carried it chamber loaded and hammer down.
  17. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Dog Soldier is an Indian...Native American.....
    at least he plays one on TFF.

He is obviously only stating the reason to always
    have a loaded gun.....in his native format of tongue.

Why would you carry a knife, my Brother, that had no blade...?
    See where I'm coming from?

He didn't ask the question directly to anyone......
    more of .....a statement.....that sounded like a question.

Go to sweat lodge Highboy......breath thru pine branch,
    jump in cold river....be healed and seek your vision.
    Bring Mescal to me, my Brother, we will share.
  18. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I would carry two rounds in the chamber if i could.....LOL
  19. 76Highboy

Your funny. That is why I was asking him. Me wanted to know.:D
  20. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Just a brief follow-up regarding chambered rounds, cocked and locked etc. I recall an incident back in NY during which a fellow had been carrying his cocked and locked Commander or Government Model in one of those belt slide deals. On sitting down in the car his pistol poked him in the thigh, so he slid it forward, evidently disengaging the thumb safety in the process. Subsequent fiddling resulted in a partial vasectomy.