Should you carry a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 76Highboy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

I unload to reload. Every hole in the cylinder is filled, and the 1911 or P-35 have one up the spout.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I just started to CCW a couple weeks ago.
    New gun, new holster, new experience. I carried YEARS ago, but always open cary with a ruger High Standard 929, a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Ruger Single Six. Round under the hammer or not, all are ready to go with the first cocking.

But this is different -
    I imagined all sorts of scenarios where the gun slips from the holster, something snags the trigger, and I have an AD due to no external positive safety on the Glock 17.

So, the first three days that I carried it, it had nothing up the spout.

Those three days gave me confidence in the weapon AND in the locking holster I cary it in.
    It CAN'T come out without my pressing the release button.
    The trigger is covered and CAN'T get snagged while the gun is in the holster.
    So now, I have one in the pipe and 17 more below it.
    And I just ordered another magazine and a belt holder for two of them.
    I cannot imagine a scenario that 52 rounds won't handle.

But my main reason for carying condition 1 is not speed -
    The scenario I am more likely to encounter is not someone near me attacking me, but being just a person in a crowd that is being fired into.
    I draw while their attention is on someone else -
    I chamber a round - "Chunk kerchunk" -
    And the sound makes me the next target.
    I would rather the first sound the BG hears from me is "Boom", immediately following the bullet he is struck with.

And yes, in the service I faced the same idiocy!
    EVERY 1911 I carried had an empty chamber.
    EVERY M1 I carried had an empty chamber.
    EVERY AR15 I carried had an empty chamber. (Yeah, back then it WAS called an AR-15)

I did not eat the mashed potatoes in the chow hall, at least - - -
  3. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I'm a revolver nut. I prefer single actions or double actions with hammers. I can draw and cock the hammer in one movement and am ready to go. I also have Glock 36 and carry it with a round in the pipe, I like the idea of 6+1 better than 6 even though all my peacemakers are 6 and my carry revolvers are 5 shots. What's the point of an unloaded gun?
  4. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Why my brother do you bear a weapon and yet you are not armed.:(
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Who are you asking Dog Soldier?
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Carried my M1911A1 daily for 30+ years with 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, and hammer all the way down. Yeah, yeah, I know, when carrying with a chambered round the experts advise cocked and locked. Well, about a thousand years ago HP White Labs did a drop test on the 1911 - before the advent of the Series 80 firing pin block, and found that, yes, the pistol would discharge, but only if dropped from a height of at least 11 feet, and landing square on it's muzzle - therby imparting sufficient inertia for the pin to fly forward against spring pressure and strike the primer. Hammer down or hammer cocked and locked would've netted the same result, and since I didn't anticipate having to draw my sidearm while standing atop a ladder I carried it chamber loaded and hammer down.
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Dog Soldier is an Indian...Native American.....
    at least he plays one on TFF.

He is obviously only stating the reason to always
    have a loaded gun.....in his native format of tongue.

Why would you carry a knife, my Brother, that had no blade...?
    See where I'm coming from?

He didn't ask the question directly to anyone......
    more of .....a statement.....that sounded like a question.

Go to sweat lodge Highboy......breath thru pine branch,
    jump in cold river....be healed and seek your vision.
    Bring Mescal to me, my Brother, we will share.
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I would carry two rounds in the chamber if i could.....LOL
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Your funny. That is why I was asking him. Me wanted to know.:D
  10. nmckenzie

Just a brief follow-up regarding chambered rounds, cocked and locked etc. I recall an incident back in NY during which a fellow had been carrying his cocked and locked Commander or Government Model in one of those belt slide deals. On sitting down in the car his pistol poked him in the thigh, so he slid it forward, evidently disengaging the thumb safety in the process. Subsequent fiddling resulted in a partial vasectomy.
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

If it's on my side (which my carry gun is 'sept while sleeping), it's laoded and ready for it's intended purpose...to be ready if needed.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess this is possible, but I have carried this way for many, many years and have never disengaged my safety. I sit on my couch, my recliner, my truck seat, my office chair and I adjust my holster quite often. I guess thats why they are called "accidents". Stranger things have happened. Even with the safety off, you still have to depress the grip safety and pull the trigger so......
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  13. nmckenzie

If one were looking for an example of the old saying "Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong...", I think this one would be a contender. Not too many months back a local fellow inadvertantly shot himself (fatally) while preparing to leave the range and holstering his pistol. The newspaper described the pistol as a .44 Mag - whether revolver, autoloader, or single shot I don't know, and the holster was described as a shoulder rig. How many times have you seen someone pick up a handgun and automatically place their finger on the trigger. That factor may've played a part in both incidents.
  14. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I carry a 9mm derringer with both barrels loaded and the hammer on half cock in right hand pants pocket. And yes I do have the saftey button engaged.
  15. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Thats called the Tueller drill,made popular from Officer Dennis Tueller.He estimates that a person can charge 21 ft. in 1.5 seconds which is close to the time it takes the average person to draw acquire a sight picture and fire.Its good to practic.But what I do is have my son stand 21ft behind me and when I say go he runs at me and when he gets to me I have him tap me on the shoulder.That way hes never in front of me.