The Firearms Forum banner

Should you carry a round in the chamber?

11K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  Grizz 
#1 ·
This is a great video. A gun without a round in the chamber is of very little use.

#3 ·
Outside of unique situations like noisy kids who always manage to get in your stuff I say YES.

That's why I'm partial to my old revolvers "NEXT customer" is always ready to go.

And an "empty gun" is a very dangerous thing.

#4 ·
a pistol that is not ready to fire is an expensive club.

#5 · (Edited)
mine is ready to go.
But in the past i never had one chamberd, but I did train all the time at drawing and cycling the slide.
Got some funny looks. from the people at the range. Still do when i shoot from on my butt or on my side.
Hey you never know what position you need to shoot from.

#6 ·
i have always carried with a round chambered. i will not have my weapon end up on the black market because i was attacked and drew my gun but it ended up being as useful as a paperweight because of an empty chamber.

#7 ·
Yea, thankfully, I dont have to watch a video to know to carry hot. I ALWAYS have one in the chamber. That means always. Watching TV, driving, no matter what. I am never unarmed unless I am in the shower or in bed and even then I have one within reach.

#12 · (Edited)
Israeli draw is great it can be done in one motion not much slower than draw,as one draws hold hand on slide other hand extends the pistol forward ,no difference in what the primary hand does,when practiced 2 sec can have two or three shots out.An older sa striker fired would be suitable for that and still be a defense weapon.They came up with that method as many raw recruits,and mossad agents could use same method on all,and they tend to use what they came across where ever that might be.Some fairly good antiques available in many parts of the world.Example com block firearms with no saftey,added for import to usa only,like tokarev,cz52.
And if you are carrying an old striker fired sa cocked and locked or using a tok or cz52 with or without without a safety your unsafe with one in the chamber.Russian doctrine does carry one in the chamber on a cz 52 decocked it has a firing block safety,cock when pulled.Some other notables can be carried loaded decocked and hammer pulled back,due to same type sear block.It was however easier for massad to teach but one way suitable for all they encountered.
Da, da /sa I Have one in the pipe.

#13 ·
"Many people feel uncomfortable carrying a round in the chamber when they first start carrying in public. "

If you're uncomfortable with a loaded gun, you need toget to the range and practice a LOT more. Obviously not ready to carry a gun if it makes ya queesy!

There's a reason that this is what's called a 'dead man's gun'

#14 ·
"Many people feel uncomfortable carrying a round in the chamber when they first start carrying in public. "

If you're uncomfortable with a loaded gun, you need toget to the range and practice a LOT more. Obviously not ready to carry a gun if it makes ya queesy!

There's a reason that this is what's called a 'dead man's gun'
YUP.

#15 · (Edited)
There is a difference between carrying a loaded gun and carrying one not safe or unsuitable,I have 4 I can cc with 3 are loaded ,1 is not.
Sat night special from years ago sa loaded in pocket is no place for it to be.
It doesnt bother me at all , pa63 is a loaded firearm da pull and boom,keep it in detent not on safe.1911 a1 sure,1903,1908,tokarov,beretta 1934 and all those close in nature no.
That does not mean you couldnt carry one just not cond 1,of course others more suitable,may or may not be available,many on ss cannot afford a kimber.
My primary prior to the pa63 was a 32 acp Llama 1911 mini in all but a sear block and the 32 being a blowback from 380 up recoil operated or some are.I was cc it with a rd in the chamber and on half cock and a leo showed me how to do the draw and rack in one motion,so went to that since was actually as quick or even quicker than cocking the thing.
To be honest it with a grip safety if i had a holster with a strap that came in between the hammer and block id be tempted to carry it cond 1.Mostly mute since its place was taken by the pa63 most of the time.

#17 ·
it's funny how people see a loaded 1911 with the hammer back and assume it's unsafe; what about a striker fire pistol, it's exactly the same, you just can't see it. how is it different just because it's out of sight?

My dad asked one time when I had my 1911 on me why I had the hammer back. Well, it don't go boom unless it's ready to go! no double action. it's designed by the most intelligent firearms designer on this planet, it has more than a couple safety mechanisms in place.

Even if the hammer somehow falls, the half cock notch will stop it unless you're on the trigger. beavertail grip safety, manual safety.. .and of course the number one safety, your brain and finger!

#18 ·
The easy way to show anyone who thinks that a empty chamber is a good idea or a safety thing simple drill. Stand at the firing line about 20 feet from he target have a friend stand next to you facing the opposite way have a third person yell go the person not facing the target starts running the person firing draws racks a round and fires when the runner hears bang he stops and marks there location. Then do this again with a round in the chamber. Notice the difference in distance. This is the drill I used to use teaching the CCW class to show how far away a person can be and get to you before you can draw and fire really makes allot of folks train a bit harder.

#19 ·
what's the 'knife' distance that was proven in court years ago? 21' I believe, in the average time it takes the average person (cop actually) to draw their weapon?

can't imagine needing to rack a round on top of that, and of course assuming that you have two working arms/hands. you get shot/stabbed in one arm, how'r you going to rack that round? sure, there's the one handed, rack the gun by using the rear sight, but it's not very reliable.

people that think they'll have time to rack a round or retrieve a gun out of their glove box or any other un-handy place, have obviously never needed a gun to defend their lives or been in an oh-crap situation.

#20 · (Edited)
a empty gun is a club

why are we talking about this ??

even here

i unload for vehicles ( to go hunting or range) and reload when first able to

my flinter , i shoot a deer i'm reloading on the run , not that i want a coup de gra on the deer, but, so i can if needed, use the thing ! cause empty its a club and i'd like it loaded by the time i'm ready to set it down and field dress the critter incase i've also set some roo's a bouncing (shot's echo in the hills) and they bounce on by

#21 ·
Yeah I am with Jack unloaded for transport. In the house loaded shotgun, 5 in the tube zero in the chamber. I don't sleep at nite so I am on watch. I nearly shot a shipmate once. I left an unloaded M-16 in the cox'n flat as I came off duty. He immediately jacked a round in the chamber when I was below decks. When I came up for some freah air we got in a pissn contest. I picked up the rifle and aimed it at his stomach just goofing off. Well I saw the look on his face and a still small voice told me to check the chamber (after all I left it unloaded and assumed it was still that way). Oh yeah there was a round in the chamber. I turned sheet white and weal kneed when I realized what I had almost done. NOW when I pick up a wapon I always check it and am very careful where the barrel is pointed. Ahhht the stupidity of youth. We still converse-he is a judge in Arkansas. I ask do you remember the time I almost killed you. His answer was which time??:eek: Must have been the grenades I pitched for swimmers. Before I let it fly, I cocked my aarm for max distance- well my gun mount was higer that his and when I got ready to pitch the grenade it was right in his face as I cocked my arm back and down:eek:

#22 ·
Carrying a battle weapon unchambered is not that brilliant (tactical perspective, but if your gun cant be carried "ready to rock" due to age or design, then you might want to find a better battle pistol). When you need it you will be in a condition Dave Grossman call conditions red and your blood pressure spikes, motor control drops, and your auditory systems drop. Making slide work slower and harder. You drop to the level of your training, not rise to the occasion. Most people don't train under live fire or train malfunctions/ slidework. Carry it chambered or someone will have to peel you off the cement.

#23 ·
Carrying a battle weapon unchambered is not that brilliant (tactical perspective, but if your gun cant be carried "ready to rock" due to age or design, then you might want to find a better battle pistol). When you need it you will be in a condition Dave Grossman call conditions red and your blood pressure spikes, motor control drops, and your auditory systems drop. Making slide work slower and harder. You drop to the level of your training, not rise to the occasion. Most people don't train under live fire or train malfunctions/ slidework. Carry it chambered or someone will have to peel you off the cement.
YUP.

#24 ·
+1.

#25 ·
Way back before the wheel was invented, I was part of a Marine detachment on board the USS America (CV-66). We guarded 4 nuclear weapon posts on the ship. Standard weapon was a 1911 that we HAD to carry unloaded. We had 5 rounds in the mag and none in the pipe. Didn't make sense then doesn't make sense now

#26 ·
Way back before the wheel was invented, I was part of a Marine detachment on board the USS America (CV-66). We guarded 4 nuclear weapon posts on the ship. Standard weapon was a 1911 that we HAD to carry unloaded. We had 5 rounds in the mag and none in the pipe. Didn't make sense then doesn't make sense now
Had the same scenario when Nite guard on an ammo dump-one A**hole took the powder out of the rounds as a joke-he was BORED (we were in Alaska) and cold- hahaha:rolleyes:- we once had an IRA alert when they were moving some uh "gas" within the base- I was the Company NBCNCO then- made sure ready alert squad on standby had "real" gas filters in their masks instead of "tear" gas filters. Got my a** chewed by Brigade Chemical NCO. Company XO defended me said I did good:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.