1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Should you register your firearms?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by willywonka, Oct 27, 2010.

1. willywonka

willywonka New Member

Now I'm not looking to have my head bit off here, especially because I don't have a position on this. I just don't know what to think about it, so I wanted to see what the folks here had to say.

On one hand, a friend of mine, suggested that it's a very good idea to register your firearm with the local sheriff's department. That way if it's ever stolen and used in a crime, you have some recourse. You can report it as stolen and with a lot of luck, maybe get it back one day.

On the other hand, if you register, and the gun-control nuts get their way, then they might come after you for what you own.

To be clear, I'm not talking about government enforced registration, but voluntary registration. What do you think?
  2. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Double pennies on the floor, don't. But do keep a record of the S/Ns so if they wind up going somewhere without your permission, you can report it accurately.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't want registration. If the weapons are properly locked up and stored when not in use and the owner holds all the keys, one should be comfortable that nobody will get to them. It's when you leave them in glass cases where people walking by can see into your windows then they break in after them. Happened to my uncle a few years ago. Someone ripped off some nice O/U shotguns of his.

The biggest concern I have is the possibility that someone's firearm ownership would become public information. Then the people who can't legally buy a firearm will use that to secure a firearm. It's like leaving your purse in the car in plain view in a bad neighborhood. I also, like John, would not trust law enforcement with that information either or next thing you know they will try to stick you with a crime you didn't commit simply because you owned a similar weapon as the one used.

Or when considering the possibility of a SHTF scenario, the government will know exactly who holds all the weapons. Then they'll know who to go after when confiscation comes rearing its ugly head.

Ask Jack404. He'll tell ya.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i didnt know you could register guns in places its not required. but i wouldnt want to do it.

lets imagine that you register your glock, and some years later a man is killed up the road from where you live. the cops figure out the gun used was one just like the one you have. so they naturally ask you to submit your gun for inspection so they can compare bullets. if you refuse, you look guilty and they pursue you further. if you submit and they test the gun, they might find that it matches their sample even though that your gun was not involved. bullet matching is not exact, sometimes you can have two that are so similar they cannot tell them apart. it's a one in a billion chance probably, but it can happen.

it can happen more with empty casings then it can with bullets i think though.

another reason not to do it is, a hacker can get the info and then his crack head brother can break in and steal guns from all over the county because he knows which houses have them

i wouldnt worry about them coming to take them away because when they do that, thats when you shoot first and if you by some miracle live, ask questions later.
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

My two cents is you are better off keeping as much of that information as you can to yourself. Just keep a record of serial numbers and models and that should be good for stolen property. You never know when there will be some kind of chaos caused by a natural disaster or by civil unrest such as rioting. I just do not want anybody knocking on my door, police or other wise looking for my guns.
  6. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Ditto! Keep your own records. Make, model, serial number and caliber. It's nobody else's business.
  7. johnlives4christ

"You never know when there will be some kind of chaos caused by a natural disaster or by civil unrest such as rioting"

this is true, and should anything like what happened in NewOrleans then either me, them or all of us will be in body bags should they try to disarm me and my wife
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

This makes it sound like you can NOT report a gun stolen.....
    unless it is registered.

Just wondering, what makes you think you can't?

Oh, and to answer your initial question, the less the government knows, the better.
    I do NOT trust our current government.
  9. berto64

berto64 Active Member

NO to weapons registration.

But I definitely keep my own records on my own firearms for my personal benefit in case of theft or whatever.
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Like most above have said, what's the benefit?

None that I can see. Is the Bad Guy gonna register?:rolleyes:

It's yet another way to control the masses.

I can report it before or after it's stolen. Tell me the benefits of the 'before' version? Is it any better than reporting after? Why?:confused:
  11. johnlives4christ

i dont trust any government, no matter who is in office.
  12. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

ditto
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Plus ONE!!!
  14. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    It seems to be unanimous, DON'T! Who knows what the future holds, and it's been going the wrong way for quite a while now. The gov't can collect so much info on you right now, so why help them? I've come to see that government is not always my friend, sometimes even hostile, so keep your own business to your self if you can, and stay happy. TJ
  15. willywonka

willywonka New Member

thanks for helping me make up my mind guys! I am most certainly in the do not register camp now!

Part of what got me to thinking about this is that my home state of Virginia has these signs at the DC/VA border that if you're caught with an "illegal gun" you get a mandatory 5 years.

I'm wondering what they mean by illegal. Stolen? Do I have to prove that my firearms are not stolen?