Shoulder Holster for 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Aug 21, 2012.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on shoulder rigs for a 5" 1911.

I was looking at the Galco Miami Vice Classic and it's pretty expensive so I just wanted to get everybody's opinions on shoulder rigs for the 1911 before I decided to buy one.

Thanks.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    No shoulder holsters for me! No way to draw the gun with out the muzzle crossing some part of your weak side arm! Not to mention anyone standing on your weak side! A shoulder holster is also one of the slowest methods to draw from. Pluss you have to wear a jacket at all times!
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Hmm... well I just wonder about it for car carry. I saw before in some of your pictures that you have no trouble with the OWB holster, but my belt pinches my pistol in between me and the seat belt latch thingy and it's a real PITA.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have a Miami Classic. Fairly comfortable. It tends to walk a little. You can often spot someone wearing one, because when they stop walking they, unconsciously, wiggle their shoulders a little, to resettle it.

I also have a Bianchi X15. The ride is different, because it is tied to your belt, so it tends to want to move your pants.

You get used to it. You can get used to anything. And any holster takes some getting used to.

Yes, you have to wear a cover garment. That takes some getting used to. I, one time, wore a heavy coat over my shirt, on a cold night, and then sat and sweated in the 70 degree restaurant, because I could not take off my heavy coat, since then my holstered gun would be exposed.

I, personally, feel the fear of muzzling/flagging/shadowing/whatever-you-call-it other people, during the draw, is wrong. Yes, unless you are quite careful on the draw, you will point it at your off arm. If there is anyone standing to your side, as you bring it to bear on your target, you will point it at them, momentarily. BUT, if you wear a cross draw, you do the same thing. No one seems to get upset about that. If your strong-side holster has a forward cant, as soon as you grab it, to start your draw, you are pointing it at anyone that happens to be behind you. No one gets upset about that. Most belt holsters, at sometime during the wearing or the drawing or the reholstering, have you pointing at your own leg or butt. No one gets upset about that.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

It's not that these things upset me Alpo, it's just that there are better ways to get the job done. If I should shoot myself when drawing form a strong side OWB, or IWB, holster, then shame on me. But if I accidently shot a loved one, or an inocent bystander, then I become the BG. And it does not matter what type of holster I am wearing if this should occure. When carring a gun there is always the possibility of an AD that might hit human tissue, including my on. We do everything we can to prevent this from happening, including a lot of training. But still we are faced with reality. AD's happen to the best of us. We should do all that we can to prevent them.
  7. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I had one once years ago and it was comfortable. Sadly, it was so long ago that I don't remember who made it. The holster was nylon and easy to draw from. I only had to pay about $20 for it new (this was back in the mid 80's). I'd like to find another like it. Granted, you do need a jacket if you want to carry your 1911 concealed with a shoulder holster. A nice thing about the 1911 for drawing from a shoulder holster is that you can leave the hammer down until it is drawn then cock back the hammer to fire. Your thumb and your mind are then the safety and that is true of almost any revolver also.

Personally, I find it difficult and uncomfortable to draw from my strong side with a concealed holster. I find it far more comfortable and faster to cross draw. But that's just me and it has to do with the bending and angle of getting my arm to draw from my strong side unless I have a holster lower than my belt which can certainly then not be concealed. A pocket automatic in my strong side front pocket isn't a problem.

Not going to get a 1911 in the front pocket of my jeans though ;)
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wont carry a 1911 hammer down, but everyone is different. I dont wear clothes suited to wear a shoulder rig and have never found one that is comfortable anyhow. I guess it will always be OWB for me. I do like a good thigh drop rig when I am on the range and wouldnt mind carrying there on occasion.
  9. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

The Galco "Jackass" rig is pretty hard to beat! About a hundred and thirty bucks. You get what you pay for.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Galco makes some great holsters and thats not a bad price for a good rig that will last a long, long time.
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have a Galco verticle shoulder holster and it is very comfortable.

Spend the money it is worth it.
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I like that Galco vertical holster, but I was wondering if you know any places where I can get it a little cheaper.
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I took a look around and didn't find anywhere that has it cheaper. I think I am going to get the Galco Vertical. I have heard good things about the Miami Vice Classic as well, but I don't feel comfortable with the muzzle aimed up the way it is. The hip holster works well but it's just uncomfortable when I go to sit down or ride in the car. If I carry it at 4 o'clock, it's fine, but the grip prints badly. It's better if I carry between 3 and 4 o'clock, but then the seat belt thing gets in the way.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  15. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

16. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i bought a de santis shoulder rig for my 1911. horizontal draw. it took me a little while to get used to. the weight of a loaded 1911 and two full mags on the opposite side was definetly noticable. i do like the holster though. i feel it was money well spent
  17. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Galco - Miami Classic
    My choice since introduced by Galco several years ago.
    As far as Rig Walking. Since I always wear a belt I use the Galco Tie Down Loops on both the Holster and Mag Ends to help with any issues. Also helps keep everything under cover when having to bend over etc.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

If it gets really warm on the Dark Side of the Moon where you live, the original GALCO Miami Classic has the original thin shoulder straps which are a bit cooler to wear, but the thinner straps can also cut into your shoulders during long periods of wear. Otherwise, for the long term ability to comfortably carry the weight of either 4" or a 5" barrel 1911 and two full magazines, I would recommend the wider shoulder support straps of the Jackass Rig, VHS or Miami Classic II shoulder holsters. I am a chunky rascal, so I have enough available chest depth to be able easily use a slightly muzzle canted up weak side horizontal holster on a shoulder rig in a concealed carry application. If you do not have a lot of available chest depth you might wish to give more consideration to the VHS vertical shoulder holster. The VHS is a bit easier for thinner folks to conceal.
  19. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

I carry a full-size all-steel 10mm Kimber in a homemade, under-the-shirt vertical shoulder holster ... all day, every day, any time I have my clothes on. I wouldn't carry it any other way. It IS a slow draw, but I offset that disadvantage somewhat by carrying a .357 scandium/titanium snubby for a BUG, in my right-front pocket.

I'm not concerned about sweeping me or anyone else during the draw, because of the drawing procedure that I religiously follow: (1) thumb slides under the thumb safety (to confirm that it's engaged), then (2) I draw without compressing the grip safety (which controls the firing-pin safety as well as blocking the trigger), then (3) click off the thumb safety only after I'm coming onto target, then (4) use my weak hand to compress the grip safety against my strong palm (when essentially on target), and finally, my straight trigger finger stays WELDED to its resting place on the protruding end of the slide-lock pin, outside of the trigger guard, until my sights are completely lined up, and I've decided to shoot.

It's very comfortable (obviously, since I carry it about 16 hours every day), and very well concealed. Perfect solution for me.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  20. millrat

millrat Member

Ted Blocker makes a cowboy shoulder rid I had fitted to my Kimber, that works fine under insulated coveralls when it's cold out. It's a good choice for me when driving, rideing just below the seat belt shoulder strap. No digging, no adjusting. Not going to brake a rib if you get off a quad or bike.
    A. E. Nelson makes a nice verticle spring retention I bought for a Beretta model 84f, that fits my EMP just fine.
    Always nice to have options.......