Shoulder Holster for 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Aug 21, 2012.

1. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i bought a de santis shoulder rig for my 1911. horizontal draw. it took me a little while to get used to. the weight of a loaded 1911 and two full mags on the opposite side was definetly noticable. i do like the holster though. i feel it was money well spent
  2. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Galco - Miami Classic
    My choice since introduced by Galco several years ago.
    As far as Rig Walking. Since I always wear a belt I use the Galco Tie Down Loops on both the Holster and Mag Ends to help with any issues. Also helps keep everything under cover when having to bend over etc.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

If it gets really warm on the Dark Side of the Moon where you live, the original GALCO Miami Classic has the original thin shoulder straps which are a bit cooler to wear, but the thinner straps can also cut into your shoulders during long periods of wear. Otherwise, for the long term ability to comfortably carry the weight of either 4" or a 5" barrel 1911 and two full magazines, I would recommend the wider shoulder support straps of the Jackass Rig, VHS or Miami Classic II shoulder holsters. I am a chunky rascal, so I have enough available chest depth to be able easily use a slightly muzzle canted up weak side horizontal holster on a shoulder rig in a concealed carry application. If you do not have a lot of available chest depth you might wish to give more consideration to the VHS vertical shoulder holster. The VHS is a bit easier for thinner folks to conceal.
  4. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

I carry a full-size all-steel 10mm Kimber in a homemade, under-the-shirt vertical shoulder holster ... all day, every day, any time I have my clothes on. I wouldn't carry it any other way. It IS a slow draw, but I offset that disadvantage somewhat by carrying a .357 scandium/titanium snubby for a BUG, in my right-front pocket.

I'm not concerned about sweeping me or anyone else during the draw, because of the drawing procedure that I religiously follow: (1) thumb slides under the thumb safety (to confirm that it's engaged), then (2) I draw without compressing the grip safety (which controls the firing-pin safety as well as blocking the trigger), then (3) click off the thumb safety only after I'm coming onto target, then (4) use my weak hand to compress the grip safety against my strong palm (when essentially on target), and finally, my straight trigger finger stays WELDED to its resting place on the protruding end of the slide-lock pin, outside of the trigger guard, until my sights are completely lined up, and I've decided to shoot.

It's very comfortable (obviously, since I carry it about 16 hours every day), and very well concealed. Perfect solution for me.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. millrat

millrat Member

Ted Blocker makes a cowboy shoulder rid I had fitted to my Kimber, that works fine under insulated coveralls when it's cold out. It's a good choice for me when driving, rideing just below the seat belt shoulder strap. No digging, no adjusting. Not going to brake a rib if you get off a quad or bike.
    A. E. Nelson makes a nice verticle spring retention I bought for a Beretta model 84f, that fits my EMP just fine.
    Always nice to have options.......
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I haven't bought anything other than the holster I always use.

Attached Files: