Shoulder holster for CCW?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, May 31, 2009.

1. Just curious folks. How many of you carry, or have carried, a CCW weapon in a shoulder holster rig? If so, what is your opinion of them in terms of accessibility, comfort, and concealment?

My own experience with a shoulder rig is somewhat limited, I must admit, but I have carried that way. Personally, I found the method uncomfortable and awkward. I suppose it might have some use if one had to wear a suit coat at all times, but overall, I tend to go with a right hand belt holster carried slightly rearward.

What do y'all think?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Personally, I have never tried the shoulder holster. I live is a very warm climate, and a jacket year round is not something to look forward to. I am very comfortable in baggy shorts, and baggy shirts, with a .45 on my right hip in a Yaqui style holster. That's if I dress up a little. If I'm out and about in very casual dress, then I am wearing shorts with an elastic waist band and the Smart Carry system.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have tried several types of holster over the years, as my holster collection will confirm. Of shoulder holsters I have tried two, one sat the gun level with the ground (muzzle pointing to the rear), the other muzzle down. I have not only found them uncomfortable when used for any length of time, but have been very concerned about them being seen (by the wrong guys). I get concerned about my jacket falling open, and the print of the straps, especially in warm weather and light clothing. I still vote FBI (As Pistol has described).

Part of my holster collection:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I use a horizontal holster for my colt ocassionally. (mostly when riding my motorcycle as the wind and moving will make my jacket ride up) I prefer my I.W.B. for all other times
  5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I only carry IWB. I find it more comfortable, for me anyway.
  6. Pistol Liberty

Pistol Liberty New Member

I use a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster to carry any 1911 style pistol I own. I use it just occasionally since my preferred carry method is strong side OWB, but under a 5.11 covert casual shirt, it is comfortable, easy to access, and easy to adjust for my body type. Also the price is reasonable. I bought it to see how the shoulder holster concept would work for me before I invested in a more expensive model. It works well winter and summer, but since it is only used once in a while, no further purchase is contemplated in this style.
  7. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

I have three, all a bit different, bought them one after the other and gave up. None of them feel right to me, so I carry behind my right hip in the summer and more forward in the winter with coats.
    Maybe there's one that feels right, but I haven't found it yet.

Latigo
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i tried a cheap nylon shoulder rig once for a 1911, it wasn't uncomfortable, but it took some getting used to. i would like to try a good leather one in winter time.
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I have a good Bianchi shoulder holster for my full sized .45's and do use it at times, but that's only when I'm planning on being in a vehicle for most of the day.
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I see no reason for one in any climate. When it's cold I use my 5.11 Tactical Jacket and strap a .45 on the inside velcro of the jacket with a specialized holster. I can remove the jacket and continue on with a social discourse. With a shoulder holster I have to keep the jacket on, and fry like a lobster in public. The shoulder holster idea is dead in my humble opinion. :eek:
  11. pawn

pawn New Member

To me, it seems like there is an opportunity to briefly cross your weak arm while drawing with a shoulder rig.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Excelent safety point!
  13. obxned

obxned New Member

In cooler weather I carry a PF-9 in a shoulder holster every day. It is very well concealed, comfortable, and easy to access if needed.
  14. torre

torre New Member

I personally never was never comfortable with the shoulder holsters and would much rather carry in my pocket or a concelaed in the waist band holster.
  15. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I had one custom made by Tauris Holsters for when I desire to carry a NY Backup. Everything is detachable so you may carry just one holster, no extra mags, etc.:

[​IMG]
  16. cartjudge

cartjudge New Member

:cool: Having a 6.5" Taurus Judge, I use an Uncle Mike's Vertical shoulder holster I feel is the best for carrying this particular long handgun. Should I ever go CCW, I will strongly consider a shoulder rig. It's easier accessible in sitting position and weight can be evenly distributed with ammo pouches. As far as easy access in the event handgun has to be drawn, I believe the
    handgun can be as fast if not faster for the draw.

Shoulder holsters are said to be more dangerous because sweeping firearm to center places people in the line of fire as well as the potential of wearer to
    shoot his/her brachial artery in the drawing process. How many people have shot others or themselves in reality of this so-called cons of using this
    particular holster?

Many detectives and military people seem to have no problems using a
    shoulder holster.
  17. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Only shoulder holster I've tried is the Uncle Mike's that came with my .44 Redhawk, scoped. It was "modified" by the previous owner, meaning it got trimmed. It slides around and isn't particularly comfy, but it's still better than a rifle on a sling. Not concealable though, so sorry if that doesn't fit this thread.
    I like ITW for concealed carry. The "spare tire" can actually have uses...
  18. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

19. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Another attaboy for Galco. When I needed to carry in a deep concealment mode for extended periods of time, I eventually found the various Galco brand of finished leather shoulder holsters. They were able to meet my requirements for both long term carry comfort and for deep concealment. The slightly muzzle up and to the rear under the arm carry of a Commander sized 1911 and 2 loaded spare mags on the off side was really pretty comfortable and did not 'print'. However, the very best configuration in terms of long term wearer comfort and lack of any 'printing' whatsoever was the (now apparently discontinued) Galco SS2 shoulder rig combined with the quite narrow H&K P7/M8 9mm. That was nifty setup. And a word of advice for selecting a shoulder holster for your application, the more narrow 'Miami Vice' style of shoulder holster straps are a bit cooler in hot weather, but the weight of the pistol and the spare mags is much more apparent to the long term wearer. So, you have to trade wider strap comfort for cool.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  20. macro01

macro01 New Member

shoulder holsters are good when you ride vehicles a lot or if you wear a suit or jacket.