Shoulder holster for CCW?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, May 31, 2009.

1. Just curious folks. How many of you carry, or have carried, a CCW weapon in a shoulder holster rig? If so, what is your opinion of them in terms of accessibility, comfort, and concealment?

My own experience with a shoulder rig is somewhat limited, I must admit, but I have carried that way. Personally, I found the method uncomfortable and awkward. I suppose it might have some use if one had to wear a suit coat at all times, but overall, I tend to go with a right hand belt holster carried slightly rearward.

What do y'all think?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Personally, I have never tried the shoulder holster. I live is a very warm climate, and a jacket year round is not something to look forward to. I am very comfortable in baggy shorts, and baggy shirts, with a .45 on my right hip in a Yaqui style holster. That's if I dress up a little. If I'm out and about in very casual dress, then I am wearing shorts with an elastic waist band and the Smart Carry system.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have tried several types of holster over the years, as my holster collection will confirm. Of shoulder holsters I have tried two, one sat the gun level with the ground (muzzle pointing to the rear), the other muzzle down. I have not only found them uncomfortable when used for any length of time, but have been very concerned about them being seen (by the wrong guys). I get concerned about my jacket falling open, and the print of the straps, especially in warm weather and light clothing. I still vote FBI (As Pistol has described).

Part of my holster collection:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I use a horizontal holster for my colt ocassionally. (mostly when riding my motorcycle as the wind and moving will make my jacket ride up) I prefer my I.W.B. for all other times
  5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I only carry IWB. I find it more comfortable, for me anyway.
  6. Pistol Liberty

Pistol Liberty New Member

I use a Galco Classic Lite shoulder holster to carry any 1911 style pistol I own. I use it just occasionally since my preferred carry method is strong side OWB, but under a 5.11 covert casual shirt, it is comfortable, easy to access, and easy to adjust for my body type. Also the price is reasonable. I bought it to see how the shoulder holster concept would work for me before I invested in a more expensive model. It works well winter and summer, but since it is only used once in a while, no further purchase is contemplated in this style.
  7. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

I have three, all a bit different, bought them one after the other and gave up. None of them feel right to me, so I carry behind my right hip in the summer and more forward in the winter with coats.
    Maybe there's one that feels right, but I haven't found it yet.

Latigo
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i tried a cheap nylon shoulder rig once for a 1911, it wasn't uncomfortable, but it took some getting used to. i would like to try a good leather one in winter time.
  9. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I have a good Bianchi shoulder holster for my full sized .45's and do use it at times, but that's only when I'm planning on being in a vehicle for most of the day.
  10. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I see no reason for one in any climate. When it's cold I use my 5.11 Tactical Jacket and strap a .45 on the inside velcro of the jacket with a specialized holster. I can remove the jacket and continue on with a social discourse. With a shoulder holster I have to keep the jacket on, and fry like a lobster in public. The shoulder holster idea is dead in my humble opinion. :eek:
  11. pawn

pawn Active Member

To me, it seems like there is an opportunity to briefly cross your weak arm while drawing with a shoulder rig.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Excelent safety point!
  13. obxned

obxned New Member

In cooler weather I carry a PF-9 in a shoulder holster every day. It is very well concealed, comfortable, and easy to access if needed.
  14. torre

torre New Member

I personally never was never comfortable with the shoulder holsters and would much rather carry in my pocket or a concelaed in the waist band holster.
  15. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

I had one custom made by Tauris Holsters for when I desire to carry a NY Backup. Everything is detachable so you may carry just one holster, no extra mags, etc.:

[​IMG]