Shoulder holster for CCW?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, May 31, 2009.

1. cartjudge

cartjudge New Member

:cool: Having a 6.5" Taurus Judge, I use an Uncle Mike's Vertical shoulder holster I feel is the best for carrying this particular long handgun. Should I ever go CCW, I will strongly consider a shoulder rig. It's easier accessible in sitting position and weight can be evenly distributed with ammo pouches. As far as easy access in the event handgun has to be drawn, I believe the
    handgun can be as fast if not faster for the draw.

Shoulder holsters are said to be more dangerous because sweeping firearm to center places people in the line of fire as well as the potential of wearer to
    shoot his/her brachial artery in the drawing process. How many people have shot others or themselves in reality of this so-called cons of using this
    particular holster?

Many detectives and military people seem to have no problems using a
    shoulder holster.
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Only shoulder holster I've tried is the Uncle Mike's that came with my .44 Redhawk, scoped. It was "modified" by the previous owner, meaning it got trimmed. It slides around and isn't particularly comfy, but it's still better than a rifle on a sling. Not concealable though, so sorry if that doesn't fit this thread.
    I like ITW for concealed carry. The "spare tire" can actually have uses...
  3. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

4. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Another attaboy for Galco. When I needed to carry in a deep concealment mode for extended periods of time, I eventually found the various Galco brand of finished leather shoulder holsters. They were able to meet my requirements for both long term carry comfort and for deep concealment. The slightly muzzle up and to the rear under the arm carry of a Commander sized 1911 and 2 loaded spare mags on the off side was really pretty comfortable and did not 'print'. However, the very best configuration in terms of long term wearer comfort and lack of any 'printing' whatsoever was the (now apparently discontinued) Galco SS2 shoulder rig combined with the quite narrow H&K P7/M8 9mm. That was nifty setup. And a word of advice for selecting a shoulder holster for your application, the more narrow 'Miami Vice' style of shoulder holster straps are a bit cooler in hot weather, but the weight of the pistol and the spare mags is much more apparent to the long term wearer. So, you have to trade wider strap comfort for cool.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. macro01

macro01 New Member

shoulder holsters are good when you ride vehicles a lot or if you wear a suit or jacket.