shoulder holster

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Feb 5, 2012.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

now that we were talking about holsters, i was wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a good shoulder holster. i want one because my owb holster is uncomfortable in the car as it gets pinched between my hip and the seat belt holder thing.

anybody have any recommendations?
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I never had that problem. The thing I don't like about the shoulder holster is that there is no way to get the weapon out unless you cover (cross) some body part when drawing it, like your left arm! That's just my opinion, and some of the best trainers in the U.S. say the same things. Another thing to consider is that you must wear a jacket to conceal a shoulder holster, and if it gets hot, well, you are just going to be uncomfortable!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

That's some shirt, Carver. Heck, your grips blend right in, I had a hard time picking out that 1911.... :D:D:D
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

5. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I know where ya coming from with the seatbelt problem...in a hurry, even if you get to it, you stand a good chance of snagging the chest strap before you get it pointed in right direction

I dunno bout shoulder holsters...Maybe they better today than 20 years ago...Had a Jackass rig and Safariland for 1911 but just could not get comfortable with either...Id suggest ya try one on before shelling the mega-bucks you will spend for a good one...Lotsa folks like them, just me that doesnt...SH has some other drawbacks already mentioned...

Maybe take a look at a good crossdraw belt carry or the Crossbreed ISWB holsters or some of the High Ride leathers...Galco comes to mind..They make goooood leather...I use Avengers today....I needed a holster that covered the entire barrel and end of slide as opposed to Yaqi type as the buckle beat the hell out of pistols muzzle crown..:mad:

let us know what you decide..
  6. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

I'm still stuck on the shirt! First thing I thought of was Magnum PI!
  7. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

My suggestion would be to try a "not too expensive" variation, for a while, to see if you are comfortable with it. Uncle Mike's are usually very reasonable, as are many other "no name" ones that are usually available at large gun shows. I personally really like a shoulder holster, although I am not a fan of the "horizontal" variety often seen. I have models of various types, and materials for everything from a small 22 "kit gun" through a large "hunting variety" for a scoped Super Blackhawk. I used to carry a Colt Official Police 6" in an equally old leather shoulder holster with the "metal spring clip" retention system, a LOOOOOONG time ago, and personally found it comfortable, accessible, and concealable.
  8. Mike_Fontenot

Mike_Fontenot New Member

I use a homemade vertical under-the-shirt shoulder holster (for my full-size, all-steel 1911). Conceals close to perfectly ... conceals much better and is much more comfortable than my IWB and OWB holsters, and much better than the two commercial shoulder holsters I tried.
  9. Archie

Archie Member

Somewhere in the pile here I've got a Galco (horizontal) rig for my Commander. It's pretty comfortable and does get rid of the seatbelt problem of modern automobiles.

Many years ago, I had a Bianchi X-15 shoulder (vertical) rig for a Government Model. Being an earlier sort, it had tie downs on both sides and was a nightmare to don and doff. Doing something serious in the loo was also time consuming in preparation and recovery (getting one's britches down and up). I'm not sure they're made any more.

Ranges in general don't like people practicing with shoulder holsters - and many cross draw holsters - as the muzzle does sweep that side of the range. For personal instructors with classes, that's a big deal. In real life, it has little meaning; there are no 'safe directions', there is no 'down range' in a gun fight.
  10. muddober

muddober Active Member

I have a Galco shoulder rig for my 45 auto and I like it real well, but in the hot summer months I have no choice but going to a J frame in my front pant pocket which is impossible to get too seated in a car.

Ron