The Firearms Forum banner

shoulder holster

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  WHSmithIV 
#1 ·
Looking for a nylon vertical shoulder holster for a sig 40 model 229
any thoughts
thanks

#4 ·
Any thoughts? Yep. Dont buy one. Leather, leather, leather!! (you know, kind of like location)

#5 ·
I want to pick up a leather shoulder holster for my Colt 1911. I watch Homicide Hunter Lt. Joee Kenda and the First 48, Joe Kenda wears a lether shoulder holster and quite a few detectives onn The First 48 wear leather shoulder holsters as well.
I's like one for days I'd be wearing a jacket all day and when I'd be driveing a lot.
I carry every day/all day 365 days a year.
All home invasions happen in your home.
All car jackings happen in your car.
All other crimes against you can happen anywhere you happen to be at the time.

Your gun won't do you a damn bit of good if it's home sitting in your gun safe of on the night stand.

#8 ·
I used to carry my .45 in a horizontal nylon shoulder holster. I like the horizontal holster better than the vertical one. My belt holsters are nylon. What I found was that the nylon holsters put a lot less wear on the bluing of the slide or the barrel. Obviously, a well worn and taken care of leather holster would be soft inside and not do much damage to the finish, but a new leather holster is not broken in or soft.

Everything when coming to carrying your firearm is personal as to how it feels to you. Nobody else. I prefer the horizontal carry under my left arm - that's just me though. I carry hammer down with one in the pipe for my 1911 .45 - I cock the hammer as I draw just before I have lined up the target. I've practiced that though.

Summertime is a different situation. When it's hot you won't be wearing a shoulder holster unless you are open carrying. For open carry I simply put the pistol on my belt and I DO open carry a lot. For concealed carry in the summer, I'll use a smaller pistol and inside shorts holster under my t-shirt. I'm looking for a .380 to buy for exactly that. When I find one I can afford, I will buy it.

#9 ·
I bought one of the nylon shoulder holsters with the double mag pouch on the other side to try out. Had to do some modification to the thing as I guess my shoulders are a bit wider than their model, they have a plastic ring that holds the two halves together in the back and it just didn't sit right like that. Replaced it with an adjustable velcro strap and it fits much better. The one I have is a horizontal and it's served me well for three years, now with the P95 in it in cooler weather.

#10 ·
I bought one nylon shoulder holster for my Ruger 44 mag. 35 years ago thinking that it would be more confortable that my belt leather holster, Not, I hated it. Couldn't even give it away. Through it in the garbage. I think it was and Uncle Mike. But that was me. Someone else might have loved it. To each his own.

#11 ·
I've got one just like ka64. Once I got it softened up a little, I love it. I've got a nylon one that just lays around doing nothing. I think the biggest thing I don't like about it is, it uses belt loops to hold it in place and dictates what you can wear.

#12 ·
I've got one just like ka64. Once I got it softened up a little, I love it. I've got a nylon one that just lays around doing nothing. I think the biggest thing I don't like about it is, it uses belt loops to hold it in place and dictates what you can wear.
I most definitely do not like belt loop shoulder holsters. I like shoulder holsters with a loop for each arm and two crossed straps across my back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.