The Firearms Forum banner

Shoulder holsters, anyone?

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ARB 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing a shoulder holster. I just really don't wear a belt that often, and I've noticed that the pistola is starting to spend a lot of lonely time in the truck. I do have one that slips inside the pants, but again, without the belt, it tugs down. Can any of you tell me your thoughts on this matter. Pros vs. Cons. I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy, but I figured as fall approaches, a shoulder holster might be up my ally.

G
#4 · (Edited)
I have used them, and never got on with them. All fine and good walking around the house for an hour, but after a day, or a week? Not for me.

Couple of thoughts, I was never keen on the horizontal ones that leave your muzzle covering the lady behind you as you grab it in a contact. The vertical ones are better, but still in my view, uncomfortable. Keep in mind what's called printing, thats where others know you are armed from the shape and form showing through your clothes. So you need to take care of the adjustment and straps that are out of your view.

Having said all that, many people do get on with them, so if you have the urge, buy one. I recommend you buy the best quality you can afford.

#6 ·
I don't use one. Have never tried one. I was taught that there is no way to draw from a shoulder holster with out sweeping your own arm, or inocent bystanders. Both being something you don't want to do.

#8 ·
I don't use one. Have never tried one. I was taught that there is no way to draw from a shoulder holster with out sweeping your own arm, or inocent bystanders. Both being something you don't want to do.
True, those are some of the cons. On a 1911 this means taking the safety off and keeping your finger off the trigger until after it has been drawn to the point of no longer sweeping and aimed ... . However, when you (1) sit at a desk a great deal of the day, and (2) sit in a car a lot, they are normally more comfortable then carrying on your hip - at least for us in our unit.... . (3) needing to draw from a car position, is much easier than drawing from the hip. Cross draw holsters IMO are not as useful here because of anti-gun seatbelt designs - though ankle holsters help here. (4) When the desire to carry two of the same type weapons, then they have their use. A lot depends on what you are wearing as well. I found I wore out suits less with a shoulder holster - as opposed to suit pants which wore fast while carrying on my hip. Of course, I replaced my suit shirts - but those are cheaper than a full suit. We used plastic guards (flexible plastic cut to fit ...) on the inside of our jackets to keep wear down also....

#9 ·
>Do you really want to have to reach all the way across your body, while under attack, to reach your weapon?<

Is that slower or faster than reaching into my right front pocket. That's where my "always" gun is.

I've carried a 1911 in a Miami Classic, off and on, for several years. As Doc said, I'm in Florida and don't usually wear a coat. But when I can I do have the shoulder rig on. My preferred belt rig is a cross-draw. I see no difference between the two, as far as drawing. Both of them are much easier to draw from while sitting than a strongside hip holster.

#10 ·
On the street or on your property, "Trouble does not usually call you on your cell phone to tell you taht it is coming. Often it arrives unexpected, and moves very fast.

Do you really want to have to reach all the way across your body, while under attack, to reach your weapon?
Honestly, with practice, I found it every bit as fast as reaching under my suit jacket and drawing from the hip ... I live in FL so now I have to lift my Hawaiian shirt to draw - and that is slower than drawing from a shoulder holster (silk is not as stiff as the jacket...).

As you said you have to move fast - but I don't play Mr. Quick Draw..... If I see a gun in someone else's hand - I am already BEHIND and the perp ALREADY has the advantage, so I am moving for cover and drawing at the same time .... a "draw" is not the only consideration. Moreover, I carry a weapon in my pocket - where my hand normally resides (for safety purposes ...).

We actually practiced all these "type" movements at the range ... as in anything else practice make perfect.

#11 ·
Alpo and Doc1911 make valid points. There is rarely one correct answer for all circumstances.

I think the main argument against all types of cross draw holsters is that if you are being physically "rushed" and trying to retreat, it is easier to draw from your strong side than to cross draw.

While my mention of a folk saying about "Trouble" is often valid, I have observed that an alert person can often see potential "Trouble" growing. Not being present when it arrives, is desirable; but the time to get your hand on your weapon is long before "Trouble" actually gets to you.

#12 ·
Alpo and Doc1911 make valid points. There is rarely one correct answer for all circumstances.

I think the main argument against all types of cross draw holsters is that if you are being physically "rushed" and trying to retreat, it is easier to draw from your strong side than to cross draw.

While my mention of a folk saying about "Trouble" is often valid, I have observed that an alert person can often see potential "Trouble" growing. Not being present when it arrives, is desirable; but the time to get your hand on your weapon is long before "Trouble" actually gets to you.
Agreed, "trouble" can mean many things - different levels, etc.

A Det. friend drove by a gas station - peered in the windows as usual - and then went to fill up with gas (at the farthest pump from the front of the store .... normal procedure). Everything appeared fine. However, the gunman was already inside and had not drawn his weapon yet (he was pretending to shop). He robbed, tried to exist, and was shot to death by the store clerk. My friend drew - but the incident was over before he cleared leather... No matter how much you prepare, trouble can sneak up on you quickly ...

#13 ·
I bought a very inexpensive shoulder holster from Passport Sports to try the concept before investing in an expensive setup. The darn thing is so comfortable all day long that I never have replaced it.

#14 ·
I have a shoulder holster, but I cut the straps to fit when I was a tad smaller and it's a bit tight now. I usually carry IWB strong side.

I bought a conceal T-shirt that is really comfortable and I got mine at a good price. I wear it under my shirt on Sunday and keep my .40 there with my 1911 IWB. You should really look into the conceal T-shirt as an option.

see here

#15 ·
I have a shoulder holster, but I cut the straps to fit when I was a tad smaller and it's a bit tight now. I usually carry IWB strong side.

I bought a conceal T-shirt that is really comfortable and I got mine at a good price. I wear it under my shirt on Sunday and keep my .40 there with my 1911 IWB. You should really look into the conceal T-shirt as an option.

see here
I have seen those, and thought some about them. My, only concern would be that I can't stand wearing confining clothes. Don't those shirts have to be skin tight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.