Shoulder holsters

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by TranterUK, Feb 3, 2009.

1. SARG

SARG Member

I've got several Galco rigs with all the bells and whistles set-up for the Glocks and "off-Duty" call out.

But if you carry a j-frame or a snub k frame........ look up the Bianchi 9R type clam shell shoulder rigs. They were made with belt slots for usage on the belt ( LH or RH ) as well as a shoulder rig with the elastic straps. Got one for the 36 & the 19 snubby.

Without question the most comfortable and most concealable rigs out there.
  2. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

I wouldn't want a shoulder holster.

Being a longtime martial artist I can tell you that just gives you a tactical disadvantage. From a grappling perspective someone could easily grab the straps and have complete control over your body. They could take you down and hold you there or use it to throw you around. Forget getting your gun out when someone has that kind of control.

Same thing with having long hair. Try moving when someone has your cute little ponytail pinned to the floor. Or has a fistfull of hair a all for that matter.

If you are going to get a shoulder holster then you need to train with it extensively.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I don't disagree. This is true. However, I will say from many years of experience training and teaching Jiu-Jitsu and Judo that the same could be said about an arm and be just as true. :)

....someone could easily grab the arm and have complete control over your body.

....someone could easily grab the shirt collar and have complete control over your body.

I understand where you're coming from though. When I went through bodyguard school they told us to wear clip-on ties...the real ones apparently can get you hanged.:D

The only important vulnerability suffered from the shoulder holster isn't the straps...remember above when you read "shirt collar" and thought, "I'd just slip out of my shirt or break the grip before I'm blood choked"...and so on with those straps, most will not suffice to hold a man long as they can slip off.

No, the most important vulnerability (tactical disadvantage if you rather) is that you must draw across your upper body to present the weapon...so this leaves you either 1. putting your strong arm in position to be pinned to your chest/offered for a bent arm bar before you can even touch the weapon 2. presenting your sidearm in a way that it can be easily turned back into your own torso 3. or turn your body away from the threat in a way that allows you to be effortlessly clinched and dropped or tossed like a sack of corn.

My humble opinion, the wearer of a shoulder rig needs more time/distance to deploy his piece.
  4. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

LOL! Yes, buy you can pull back with your arm.
    Your straps are out of your bodily control and wrapped securly around your torso. Grabbing these gives more control than grabbing a judogi lapel.

See above. A shirt collar is completely different than leather or nylon straps around you. Tell you what, I'll wear a regular shirt and you have the straps,lol.

The straps are a harness, and not likely to 'slip out of'. Which gives you better control of a dog, a collar or a harness? A harness ofcourse. By grabbing both sides of the harness you could easily throw someone down or just control them without them being able to slip out unless they are just that much bigger or stronger.

I agree about the drawing of the weapon making you vulnerable. I don't think shoulder harnesses are a good alternative to other means of carrying a firearm though.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If I let a person get a hold of my shoulder holster on both sides, then I probably wasn't going to win that fight anyway.

I've never used a shoulder holster, and I probably never will. The downsides (especially the need for an extra garment as cover) outweigh any upsides for my purposes.

In some situations, they are the best available choice. Remember, something doesn't have to be good to the best.
  6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

All true. I might argue the arm thing, as you either have the arm or you don't you know, but you know what I mean.

I mentioned the shirt collar to make a point. But, touche...a harness is a different thing. I withdraw that and agree you're right.

Standing...Maybe from a surprise ju attack, these straps could get you in trouble, but I believe otherwise no one would see a strap until the weapon was presented anyways....just speaking for myself, when I'm wearing a shoulder rig, I've a leather riding jacket over the thing.

If you were to end up on the ground grappling, yes now you've jumped into a pickle, because of what you already mentioned, those straps might become control/pivot points and no training required to maximize their use either. This would be too late to contemplate the gun in that holster probably. So...once in the dirt those straps are relevant.

Just to share a thought...I believe the best presentation with the shoulder rig, if your threat is very close or closing, may be to just drop into a seated fighting stance, weak hand up protecting the head, and draw and fire. This presentation may be a bit too asymmetric for most to take very serious though.
  7. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Personally I don't like shoulder rigs, but I'm a big guy and I don't wear jackets. If a person was close enough to grab my shoulder rig, it would be hand to hand till he was stunned or we were seperated enough for me to draw. I would be more worried about the hand to hand combat than, they grab my shoulder rig. You can pull me closer if you want to, but you get what you ask for.