Show me your Mosin's

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by ski9393, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

After this year's deer season, I want to refinish the wood on my ugly old homemade mosin sniper. I would really appreciate some tips if anyone has any and to see what all is out there for my inspiration if you wil. About my rifle, it is a Finnish capture, with a P/U scope that my granddad brought back from Korea 60 years ago. I have shimmed the scope to obtain a proper sight picture, shimmed the trigger spring retaining screw to achieve a trigger of about 2.5 lbs and bought the proper bolt and mounts for the scope. In about six months or so I want to make it as pretty to look at as it is to shoot. I appreciate all of your advice and especially the pictures (hey what can I say, I'll always be a kid at heart) I'll soon post a picture of it as is and one on completion of this project. Thanks again to all members of TFF.
  2. cosmo05

cosmo05 New Member

If you do anything at all, just wipe it down. Unless the finish is totaly gone I wouldn't touch it. And if it is gone, there is a certain way to refinish the stock without ruining the rifle's value. Do you realize what you have there? Check this site, after that you may not want to touch anything on your rifle. Go down to the collector's forum, Mosin Nagant Headqurters and see what you can find.

http://forums.gunboards.com/

Also check here:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp

And here:

http://www.7.62x54r.net/
  3. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

When I bought this rifle in 2002, I paid about 90 dollars for it. I think that is good, hope I didn't rip off the gun dealer, but no I don't have any idea how valuable this rifle is. The stock is pretty rough looking. The bluing seems pretty good for it's age. You seem to know a bit about these, on the reciever it has a mark that looks kind of like a family crest or something along those lines, mosin nagant.net says it may be an austrian mark, it has a hex reciever, the magazine trapdoor has a serial number that has been lined out, the arshens on the left side of the rear sight have been lined out and meters stamped in on the right side, it has a D marking wich I understand indicates it was rechambered for d166 cartridge,the curious thing about this is that the D isn't up write like when I type it but on it's side, a B marking on the barrel, and a boxed SA wich I understand to mean property of the Finnish Army,and the barrel is dated 1942. It was not originally a sniper, I inherited the PU scope after my grandad passed and bought the bolt handle and mounts to fit this rifle.It shoots darn good now, the trigger pull was rediculously heavy before, it is just some shims under the trigger spring screw and can be taken out easily to bring it back to factory. Now that you know this cosmo, I'm very interested in your opinion. But once again I really don't know what I have as far as monetary value goes. I also remember seeing something in the bowels of the rifle's reciever dated 1905, if I had to gues, given the above info, it was originally a Russian reciever with a later barrel installed in a Finn arsenal or something. I don't really know however, eventually I will pull it back down to confirm wether or not my eyes were playing tricks on me when I went to shim up that trigger.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

5. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Very nice. I like the 91 being shiny and all. Did you buy it shiny or did you have to work on it to get it that way? If you had to do anything to it I'd like to know so I have a better idea about what I'm getting into when it comes to be that time.
  6. 50 BMG

50 BMG New Member

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I built mine into a deer gun. Its an M91/30 1929 over the hammer and cicle.

Attached Files:

8. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Looks great all of them. I greatly appreciate all of you taking the time to put these little tackdrivers online.
  9. gandog56

gandog56 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I want MORE!
  10. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

These are just great rifles. I only have the one but I wouldn't mind a few more setting around the house.
  11. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

12. clamenza

clamenza New Member

great collection. i have a couple of SA marked my self. sk y hits in the 9 ring @ 200 yards
  13. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Here's a couple shots of my one and only Mosin. She's a little rough around the edges, but it shoots a darn good group at 100 yards. Let's see, it has an SA mark, and a B mark hex receiver. The bolt body isn't original, I had to buy that, the Scope and half of the mount came from a rifle my grandad destroyed in Korea. I don't know if he came across an arms cache or killed a gook sniper or what, I just know he found a sniper rifle somehow and brought the scope back sometime around the Chosin Reservoir campaign. That scope has a sickle and hammer marking, no import marks. Enjoy, I know I do.
    Ski

Attached Files:

14. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Here is one of three the other two i left original

Attached Files:

15. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

these are great deer rifles, well maybe not the 91/30 on account of it's weight and size but the 44's are.