Showing off my recent 22/45 mods

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jrprich, Feb 19, 2012.

1. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Ok, so I am showing off my recent 22/45 mods :D

Trigger: drilled/tapped pre-travel and post-travel limit set screws
    also slipped in a 3mm stainless washer on the left of the trigger to eliminate side to side slop.
    [​IMG]

Grips: ground off my fixed grips and installed 1911 grip bushings. Then I tried three sets of wrap around grips. These Pachmayr ones are my favs

[​IMG]

Red Dot sight on weaver rail
    Magazine extensions by Mr. Dominic A. Notaro Sr.

[​IMG]

Not showing:
    installed Sam Lam bushing to delete the magazine safety
    removed the dedent ball on the bolt release
    polished the sear and the hammer
    adjust the pre and over travel on the trigger and dialed out all the slop

Overall I am very happy with the results. The Ruger shoots better and looks a lot better!

But there always seems to be a problem :eek:
    I do have a new issue since doing the grip mod.

After I removed the magazine safety by swapping in the Sam Lam bushing my magazines would free fall out of the frame as soon as I pushed the magazine release.........as was the whole idea.

But since the full tear down to do the grip mod my magazines will no longer free fall out of the frame as soon as I push the magazine release :(:confused:

I have checked for clearance issues from the new 1911 bushings, but they do not intrude into the magazine path at all. The path feels clear as glass and I ran a exacto knife around each bushing area to make sure there was no stray plastic. I also tried lubing up the path way and the magazine with Break Free.
    But none of this helped. When I push the mag release I can easily slip out the mag with no real resistance but they no longer drop out by themselves. :(

Any ideas out there :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Jim

Attached Files:

• 571.JPG
      571.JPG
      File size:
      239.9 KB
      Views:
    • 575.JPG
      575.JPG
      File size:
      306.2 KB
      Views:
    • 576.JPG
      576.JPG
      File size:
      303.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Sorry the pics showed up twice........not sure why that happened ????

Jim
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

jrprich that makes for one sweet looking MK III. I got a MK III 5.5 Target before Christmas and here it is the end of February and I haven't gotten out to shoot it. I put a Vol. trigger kit in along with Sam's bushing and test fired it a few times into the basement bullet trap but that didn't satisfy. Let us know how yours shoots. I have no idea what is stopping the mags from dropping free, how about the mag extension did you check that to see if it is interfering in any way?
  4. jrprich

jrprich New Member

todd51,

Thanks for the positives:)
    I shot over 100 rounds yesterday at the range and the trigger mod really paid off. It is short and crisp now.
    As to the magazine failure to drop free.............
    Took her apart again today to find the issue. The whole path for the mag just seemed too tight on the sides. So it was likely warpage from the grinding off of the stock grips. :(
    The solution was pretty easy. I had some sticky backed 150 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. So I cleaned the mag sides with alcohol and stuck a piece the width of the mag on the side and pushed/pulled it a few times through the grip. Tested the bare mag and then repeated the sandpaper trick on the opposite side and all is fine now. Now the mags just drop out as they should. :thumbsup:
    It wasn't the mag extensions........I bought those when I still had the stock mag safety installed. They really helped with removing the mags. Don't really need them now but I kind of like the look.

Jim
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. motoracer

motoracer New Member

im getting ready to install some 1911 grips i made on my 22/45. After you sanded down the old grip areas on your frame how did you go about installing the bushings? did you just drill the holes and use a thread tap? or did you thread the holes and use any sort of epoxy?

I've been kinda worried about threading the holes for the bushings cause plastic isnt exactly the strongest material around.
  6. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Your right, plastic is not the strongest but if your careful you should be fine. Yes I trial fitted my grips to locate the hole locations, marked the locations, and drilled the holes with the correct drill size for the tap. Then I carefully hand threaded the threads with the special sized tap. I them tested the bushings in the threaded holes, removed them, added some red loctite and gently installed the bushings. If I was to do it again I would use epoxy on the threads. Let the bushings set up overnight and them carefully screwed on my 1911 bushings. So far, so good.

Good luck,
    Jim
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice jrprich! I'd seen where slabsides done the T/G with the rifle and I never thought
    about the pistol(s).
  8. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I have posted my Ruger Mark II, best gun I own.

[​IMG]
  9. jrprich

jrprich New Member

If you need a 1911 tap, I have one used only once F/S. You won't find these at your local hardware store.
  10. jrprich

jrprich New Member

I like that full rail.....where did you get it?

Jim
  11. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Jim it's been so long I can't remember. I didn't want to drill and tap the barrell althought they did remove the rear and front sights. I'm going to install the rear adjustable sight from this Ruger onto my Bicentennial Ruger that came with a fixed rear sight. I remember it was made out of aluminum, it was just what I wanted. I also had the trigger changed by a gunsmith but the product names have left me, best shooter I own. Jim I found on the mount the company, "B square."
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice pistols guys. I'm kind of jealous.
  13. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Thanks,
    Did this rail mount to the receiver or the barrel of your Ruger? or is there a screw at both ends of the mount?

I looked on the B Square website but for some odd reason they do not include pics of their mounts for Rugers.......seems odd in an internet age.
    Found pics of most of the BSquare mounts but nothing like yours. Must be a discontinued or modified product.
    I really like how it seems to conform to the barrel and the receiver and doesn't look added on.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  14. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Thanks for the :thumbsup:

Looks were secondary, I wanted a better shooter and a better grip in my hand. I got both for a little work and a little $$. I enjoy customizing the things I own to fit my wants and needs........I have never been a "leave it stock" sort.
    The pic is outdated now as I pulled the Pachmayr medallions and replaced them with Ruger red medallions and did a bit more polishing on the grip edges on the bolt.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  15. gunslinger69

gunslinger69 New Member

I'm wondering if you may have warped the plastic when you ground the grips off causing excessive heating. Maybe the answer is to heat it again and expand the magwell mechanically while letting it cool. Great job on the build, I'm a huge Ruger fan and love the look. I always thaught the 22/45 should have 1911 grips anyway, being as it represents the 1911 grip angle and controls.
  16. jrprich

jrprich New Member

I agree, must have been heat, but since I did the grinding in stages it seems odd. As I posted earlier, the solution was pretty easy. I had some sticky backed 150 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. So I cleaned the mag sides with alcohol and stuck a piece the width of the mag on the side and pushed/pulled it a few times through the grip. Tested the bare mag and then repeated the sandpaper trick on the opposite side and all is fine now. Now the mags just drop out as they should.
  17. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

It screws right to the factory sight holes in the barrel. Both front and rear sights are removed. No drilling or taping, they may have quit making it. I had this down 15 plus years ago. As you might know mine is not a 22/45 it's the Luger grip angle.
  18. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Here she is with her new Ruger medallions

[​IMG]
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

that is nice !
  20. jrprich

jrprich New Member

Thank you sir.

Jim