SHTF Scenario

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Palmetto, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

There are a lot of crazy theories of what is going to happen to the US. Many are saying that the economy will crash and our money will be worth nothing. Then our society will dissolve and lawlessness will rule.

I know that something is going to happen if we don't get this debt under control.

People are saying on various blogs that they think that China, North Korea, Iran and Russia might try to pull something while we are in Kaos.

What guns do you feel are essential for survival and self defense in such a scenario. I think that a .22 is a good survival rifle and ammunition is cheap and plentiful.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

anything you can handle and feed ...
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My bug out equipment. It will be a little heavy if I have to leave.

I don't foresee the chaotic breakdown in society that some do but who knows. Our economy appears to be double dipping and foreclosures are up over last year. I agree we can't continue with the spending but I expect a turnaround in the make up of congress in November and then refusing to fund some of the Obama programs this moonbat congress passed. In 2012 if Obozo gets tossed then we could have some rioting similar to the late 60's when MLK was murdered.

Attached Files:

4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I, like many others do not know what the future holds for us as a Nation, but I am prepared for what ever comes down the pike.

Palmetto, welcome to the forum! My brother thought that a .22 would get the job done too. But he has now changed his mind, as you will. I really like the .22 for squirrels, and rabits, but it isn't the right weapon for small white tail deer, or bigger two legged critters. Deer don't shoot back, but some of them two legged critters will, and do. If it were possible for me to carry a cannon on my hip, then I would carry one. God forbid that I ever have to shoot anyone, but if that day ever does come around I would like to have to shoot only once, and no more problem. The reality is that I carry a .45ACP, and when I practice, I practice putting more that one shot into the target, center mass. Same thing applies with my rifles, and shotgun.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

a 22 rifle and a glock 22 would be my choices.
  6. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

A scoped long range rifle, (that you are well acquainted with,) .308 or larger. (protection, large/medium game hunting)

A short range plinker rifle like a .22. (small game hunting)

A handgun like a, 357, 9mm, .45auto. (protection)

Hideaway gun, like a 25auto, .22 derringer, .22mag derringer would be sweet! (protection)

I would never be without my .22 derringer and 357 mag. If I was small game hunting using a rifle other than my 30-06, I would be with others armed with at least one long range rifle.

I had a shotgun listed but I think I could get by using the pistol for home defense instead, and the 22 for small game. But if there is a lot of waterfowl and such in your area, a shotgun would be good to have.

If it gets bad enough that protection from armies or what have you is a reality; if you're good enough, you'll acquire better weapons.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

It depends a lot on where you live. Out here, I would have no use for a large caliber rifle. Unless I'm shooting at aircraft, the longest shot anywhere near my house is about 200 yards. For me, a good .22 (of which I have a couple), a good shotgun (I'm back down to only one now), a good handgun (again, I have a couple), and a centerfire rifle. An AR, AK, or even a good lever action fits the bill.

Different guns for different situations.
  8. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Terry, is that a Lance? If so what model and how do you like it? John
  9. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

I think from what I am hearing that if we are invaded by a foreign army, a long range rifle would probably be the ticket 30.06 or .308. If we are just fighting thugs in our neighborhoods form home invasions, pistols are the way to go.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

sent you a pm
  11. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

If I could have only one gun...I would probably choose a Taurus judge or circuit judge. .410 shotgun or .45 pistol round.

But then CCI, and possibly others, does make shot rounds for most common pistol calibers.

So...a lever-action carbine in a pistol caliber would be pretty versatile also.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id choose a glock 40, most popular police handgun. would mean lots of extra mags and ammo.
  13. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

We as a nation have faced tough times before and we will again. But the American spirit will fight adversity and win. I think we will be fine now as well. We have a little house cleaning to do in the upcoming elections, but once the riff-raff is gone, we will once again prosper.

"This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days."--Franklin D. Roosevelt (first inaugural address)
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

In any SHTF scenario I would think you'd want a combat proven AR in .223/5.56 Nato. Of course there are bigger caliber battle rifles I'd like to own, but as much as I love the M14 I wouldn't recommend a large caliber battle rifle for SHTF. 5.56 ammo would be much more plentiful, and considerably easier to hump in quantity. You can hunt small to medium size game as well as engage the bad guys.

Another combination I like is a .357 mag revolver with a .357 lever gun. This gives you a personal defense sidearm as well as something that can take bigger game at a little longer range. Nice and neat and will help to keep you from having to stock (and possibly carry) too many different calibers of ammo.

The above two would be my first two choices. Only you can decide how much you plan to stockpile and how many different weapons you want. If you want to expand from that, then I'd consider a larger caliber (.308-30' 06) scoped rifle of the Remington 700 variety (many brands to choose from). My thinking here is that in the unlikely event of a Red Dawn type scenario you would likely be up against much more heavily armed adversaries which could be suicidal to engage at closer range This would give you longer range sniping capability.

So an M4, a .357 mag revolver, a .357 mag lever gun, and a .308 scoped rifle. Of course my personal favorite sideaerm is the .45 cal 1911. If you want something other than a .357 sidearm I'd forget about the lever gun. That's just a nice plus to have a rifle that uses the same ammo as your sidearm.

Those are my suggestions. Of course I hope it never comes to a need for anything like this and we can just keep on having fun shooting at tin cans and such.

P.S. You might want to consider a 12 ga pump or autoloader also.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Not necessarily. Handguns are a last resort personal defense weapon. The thugs may be armed with pistols but a short barreled AR like the M4 along with a 12 ga. would be the ticket.