SHTF-Survival rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Palmetto, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

The 22 still seems to be the best choice for survival rifles. The beauty of many of these is that they easily fit right in your backpack. The 22 rounds are extremely cheap and you can carry hundreds of rounds very easily.

Does any own one of these rifles? I a partial to the Browning Semi-auto Take Down. Unfortunately, this gun is a collectors item and prices are too steep for me to own one.:(

I am curious how accurate these guns are.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/survival_rifles.htm

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/survival/2007/09/survival-guns

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

http://www.survival-gear-guide.com/Survival-Rifles.html
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Pretty cool websites. I have always liked the Henry rifles that break down and fit into the stock. I have looked at them but have not found the color that I want yet. I do plan on getting one though.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the Henry AR-7 but havnt been able to get to the range as yet.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the ar-7 has a poor reputation for accuracy and reliability, but some people swear by them. i wouldnt be afraid of one even with some of the bad things i've heard... i'd get me some extra mags and go to TOWN with that rascal. im sure it would be accurate enough for the task at hand.
  5. 308 at my gate

From what I have read about the reliability issues is that they are picky about the ammo that is used in them. Just find what it likes and go from there.
  6. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Hi I don't know about the new ar-7 rifles, but I once did waranty work on the original Charter arms AR-7 and they are not the best survival rifle out there, in fact probably the worst.
    How ever they were designed for one purpose and that was to keep you alive if possible and nothing more. They are as close to a disposable weapon as you can get.

If you are serious about a suvival gun then spend as much on it as you think your live is worth.

I won't tell you what to get, but I will suggest any brake down 22 and forget about the advertising word survival. Look for something that is break down and not nesarily semi. Above all it must be acurate. Remember its your A** on the line.

Hope this helps
  7. 308 at my gate

The biggest reason for me liking the Henry AR-7 is that it will pack away in its own stock and that is really the appealing thing for me. Also it is light weight.
  8. johnlives4christ

i'd rather have a non take down rifle and put a pistol in my pack
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

My pick would be the CZ Scout in .410 and 22 mag combo.
    Problem is, they've not been made for many years, and anyone who owns one won't sell it. I kick myself for not getting one 15 years ago.:mad:

If anyone would resurect this rifle, they'd quickly become wealthy.

I have a Marlin Papoose. Reading all the horror stories of the Henry made my decision for me. The Henry's compact and it floats. Oh boy. The last thing I'm worried about in the water is trying to rescue my rifle. :eek:

I want a CZ!:mad:
  10. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Telling me I need a different rifle for survival than for everything that I've already determined my preferred gun for is just plain silly. Would the fashion police write me a ticket? Which rifle I use at the time will depend on what I'm responding to. If it's just hunger, I'll use my Ruger 10/.22 CRR Carbine. If I'm responding to incoming fire, it better be the AK!!!!!!
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have many guns that could be used as survival weapons. I only got the Henry because it is so cute, sorta....:) Cant hurt to have too many.
  12. Va.Redneck

Va.Redneck New Member

Hello, 1st.Post, since this thread is about rifles, I may be out of line , if so forgive me, but I would like to suggest a Stevens/Savage Model 24, they came in .22 over 410 bore,.22over 20Ga. 30-30 over 12 Ga. and other variations. They also breakdown life a regular single barrel shotgun. Though they don't make them anymore you can still find them, in the $350.00 range for a nice one.
  13. johnlives4christ

va redneck that is a good suggestion welcome to the forum and God bless you!

something similar along them lines is a springfield armory M6
  14. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    chk this out for a survival or back pack gun old semperfi sorry for some reason picture will not download...........chk out keystone arms
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  15. johnlives4christ

my wife has a keystone crickett. it's a nice little 22 single shot. it's pretty accurate. i dont like the peep sights much.. BUT it shoots good