SHTF-Survival rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Palmetto, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Tom

Tom Member

2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Kent, I feel for ya...if there ever is a Zombie Outbreak, Britain will fall rather quickly, unfortunately.

Guns are also good for other types of incursions, but if you are prepared for Zombies, you're prepped for everything ;)
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 70-P "Papoose" with a Ramline folding stock is one of the easiest rifles to stow anywhere.

The only downside is the lack of hi-capacity mags...which I wish someone would rectify.
    Soon.
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Don't forget Kel Tec's SU-22 rifle, and the pistol version of it. I think the pistol uses the same mags.
    I think S&W came out with a pistol version of it's AR22 recently too.
    Forget the zombie apocalypse stuff, this kind of survival thinking is more about putting food on the table when you don't have access to normal means, or the normal means are shut off to you. A .22 is easy to pack, you can carry lots of ammo without weighing you down, and it's not too big a caliber to destroy the meat on small game.
    I've owned a Marlin Papoose gun, but mine was no where near as accurate as a std. model 60. I'd look for a Ruger 10/22 with an aftermarket folding stock.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

knowing how to trap and which types of plants are edible is good knowledge for anyone to know. however, a firearm puts meat on the table a whole lot easier and quicker then traps or snares.

knowing how to acquire vittles without a gun is valuable, but a gun is a must. if i didnt have a gun, i would not spend my time trapping, i would spend my time trying to find a gun. even a flint lock rifle beats the heck out of trapping most of the time. fishing though is a common skill for a lot of people, and gear is plentiful and easily acquired.

one well placed shot would bring down a deer and feed you several people for a couple weeks if the meat could be kept without spoilage. then you have time to set traps or snares or take a nap or make other items you'll need.
  6. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

I have had a Savage M24 since 1978.. my 1st gun for my 12th b-day. Anyway, it is .22 lr top bbl and 20 ga bottom in 3" mag and will send slugs straight too, so this thing is very adaptable to many uses. I've plugged a badger and a coyote, oooolooodes of gophers and of course huns and pheasants which it was really gifted to me for. It breaks in half in 1 second, it is not light but it is compact and useful.
    Best-Mike
  7. Laserlips

Laserlips New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FWIW:

I don't think most of us have the funds or interest to buy guns specifically designed as "SHTF" survival weapons.

What most of us do, I think, is buy weapons (for me 22cal rifles) we like that we can shoot and enjoy, but OFFER the potential for SHTF duty, should it ever come to that.

With a good 22cal rifle you have a pleasurable plinker.. A firearm capable of putting meat (tree rats, ect.) on the table if necessary, and a firearm that ammunition is cheap enough that the owner can actually shoot his/her gun choice enough to become proficient..

If that choice can "break down" for easy carry, or concealment, all the better.

Personally I have found, for ME, the Browning ATD (automatic/take down) SA22, and any of the Marlin 39's are excellent choices.

Both designs offer very good, to very good accuracy, are reliable, and break down very easily into two major parts.

Not saying there aren't better choices for some, but the best choices for me.

No offense to those who might disagree.:D

Jesse
  8. tyc

tyc New Member

I still have one, bought it about thirty years ago, Took it to the local shooting range late last Fall and it still performs well; one fellow seeing it in it's case prior to my pulling it out of the stock and assembling it jokingly asked, "Did you bring all of it?"

Purchased it I guess when Armalite was making them. Used to tuck it behind my seat and took it with me everytime I flew upstate, over what's known as the "Finger Lakes" region, a rural, heavily forested area. Never had to use it but then it was nice to know it was there. You really never know when or if the engine would quit but if it did, it'd be a long trek back.

Most use I've had with it was at various target ranges over the years. Don't agree with you about them being "junk" but then, everyone to their own.

tyc
  9. DJnRF

DJnRF Member

You are on the right track with the choice of the .22 for a survival
    rifle. Many 'bulls' out there will always try to steer you toward some
    heavy caliber, or even some type of combat style rifle. Their idea
    of survival is more of a combat, or big game style rifle. These are
    NOT survival rifles per-se.

Of the rifles you have listed here the best of the time now is made
    by Henry Repeating Rifles. It is still in the basic design of the AR-7
    designed and made for the Government many years ago. It was
    one of the two weapons carried by U-2 pilots, and other pilots flying
    for the CIA and the Air Force. The two survival weapons were the
    AR-7, and the Ruger Mk II (bull brrl). Both were the .22 caliber.
    Armalite designed the AR-7 for the Air Force. The next manufacturer
    to continue it after Armalite shut down was Charter Arms. Now,
    Henry has the rights, and it is still basically the same as the original.
    The changes that have been made are all just good improvements
    needed for the rifle. No other manufacturer does a better job for
    a true 'survival rifle'.
    (Also, always remember that the 'AR' designation actually stands
    for Armalite ...... NOT 'automatic rifle', or 'assault rifle'. The current
    misuse came about only because Gene Stoner went with Colt from
    Armalite, and had Colt buy the rights to the AR-15. No other rifle
    that uses the 'AR' in their name or model is proper other than the
    ARmalite-15, and the original, and current manufacturer of Armalite
    rifles. The AR-7 today is the 'Henry model ARmalite-7' as the rights
    to it were also obtained to build.)
  10. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Can't say it's a survival rifle in the true sense of the word since if SHTF we'll be staying put, but we do have a Charter AR-7. Over the years we've fired just about everything through it - standard and high velocity, solids and HPs, and it just keeps on ticking. Many, many years ago I'd tried an aftermarket 15 round magazine in an original Armalite AR-7, and that didn't work out too well. With the little Charter bathtub toy we've kept to the standard 7 round mags and no problems at all.
  11. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Although I do like the .22 and can see many uses in a survival situation, I would like to have at least one other rifle with more power for a self defense situation in a SHTF senario.
  12. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Have most of the bases covered from .22lr (Charter AR-7 & Ruger 10/22) up through .375 H&H and .416 Rigby. My carry pistol for nearly 40 years has been a 1911A1, while the lady of the house favors her .41 Mag single action. In the "reach out and touch" department (an unlikely scenario here) we have an M1A and HBAR. Also have the standard fare in shotguns; mine are an 870 Mag and Norinco clone of a Winchester '97 Trench Gun, her's a Mossberg 500 slug gun. As noted, I think we have most of the bases covered.
  13. 308 at my gate

I like it. I think you have it all covered.

I myself like you have quite a few firearms that will do all that I need.
  14. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Marlin Papoose 795PSS.
  15. 308 at my gate

Remington 308PSS.