The Firearms Forum banner

SHTF Weapon - Need Advice

11K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  Maine04657 
#1 ·
I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find the advice I'm needing on my situation. I've been looking for a shtf weapon and I've acquired a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 at a great price and it's in even better condition and have started trying to stockpile ammo. I also have a good sidearm which I've started getting ammo put together for it.
Now I'm not a super paranoid person, but I have seen enough that I want to be prepared. I plan on bugging in if/when something happens, so I'm good around the house as far as hunting firearms. But if I have to go out I'd like to have something smaller and compact with semi-auto capability. But here lies my problem.
I know I'll get slammed so I'll say before hand, I'm on kind of a tight budget and I'd like to get it before the end of the year, and there's no way I can spend over a grand on a gun right now AND stock up on the ammo I'd like to have.
That being said, I've got it narrowed down halfway.

First - Norinco SKS - Cheapest, can save money to buy more ammo all the way around.

Second - Century Arms WASR 10 - Still can get a pretty decent price and still be able to get enough rounds to break in and start a stockpile.

Third- AR of some kind; the lower echelon/entry level group like Bushmaster DPMS or I've even considered buying a complete upper from a reputable dealer and putting it together myself to cut out the middle man.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'd really like to buy something before the election because I'm afraid of the price hikes that may occur. I'm not looking for a hunting rifle, just something for self defense in case, God forbid, the need arises. In the future I can either sell or just get a different gun in a different caliber and start from scratch.
Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
SKS is a awful hard platform to go past when looking at bang for buck solutions

i'm also a fan of the Bullpup conversions available cheap ,

Ruger Mini 14 cheap light stock are available the round is common and cheap and it dont attract the attention of AR's while being a tad better accuracy on average than the out of the box avg AR

mini 14's can be bull pupped too ;)

#3 · (Edited)
We use Mini-14's at work. I like them in the fact that they can be setting inside a guntower for years on end and still shoot like a champ, but they are on par price wise with an AR and with peep sights I don't find them that accurate. I think they're a great looking weapon, and I like the way they handle, but I didn't include them because of the pricetag of accessories and easy availability on parts. I'll give them a look if I can get my local dealer to order one with a decent price.

#4 · (Edited)
There's a good possibility that you might be disappointed in the WASR, if the AK platform appeals to you (It's my SHTF primary rifle) then spend a little more and get the Saiga in x39. It's made on the same assembly line as the AK, from new parts and has a much better fit and finish than some rifle thrown together from 25 year old parts kits. Something to think about here.. the new AR platform is a gas piston. Why? Because it works. The AK has always been a gas piston design. Get the one that's been around since 1949...

That being said, an SKS in good shape IS more accurate at longer distance but the x39 round drops off dramatically at a much closer distance than the .223 cartridge, so it kinda depends on the terrain you are thinking about. Here in Missouri there aren't many places you'll get a shot at anything over 100 yards.

You can ask this question 100 times and get 100 different answers, but for an overall SHTF rifle that you can drop in the mud, knock over in the snow/sand/whatever, you can pick up the AK and it'll still function perfectly.

#5 ·
I have both the SKS, and the WASR AK, and I love them all. They shoot! One SKS has a folding stock, and the duck bill 30rd mag. The other is stock. They may not be the most accurate rifles out there, but at 150 yds. I can hit a man sized target without a problem. For hunting deer, I would keep my shots inside the 100 yd. mark, they just aren't accurate enough for that clean humane shot at any further distances. As a SHTF weapon at 150 yds, they will work. The 7.6X39 cartridge is comparable with the 30-30 out to about 100 yds. These guns are battle rifles, they are not target rifles.

#6 ·
Get an AR. Period. Don't skimp on this type of gun.

If you're that concerned about getting it before the election, then put the balance of the purchase on a credit card and make payments. It IS worth it.
Me? I hate credit card use. I try to do as much with cash as possible.

If you don't have a year's worth of food, water and supplies on hand and a supply of silver or barter items already on hand, then having the best bang-whiz SHTF rifle of ANY platform isn't going to mean much anyway.

#9 ·
To tell you the truth , you should get a 12 gauge semi auto filled with 00 buckshot with a a flashlight somewhere on it. Also the extra shotshell holster on the stock. Most likely you wont need just 1 right shot and the threat will be over. Good Luck with what you buy. Hopefully nothing bad ever happens but you never know when some idiot wants to invade your house.

#10 ·
Get whatever you can on your budget. The SKS is a good choice if you don't have a lot of cash. Sure, AK's and AR's are nice, but they cost. You could go ahead and build an AR - that's what I'm working on. Complete lower receiver with stock can be had for $109 with free shipping. The upper is more problematical. I'm looking to find one in the 250 range and I'm still looking.

#11 ·
Shotgun is great for a home defense weapon but packing 500 rounds of ammo aint happening for most people without pulling a wagon behind them.
I carried an AR platform rifle for 15 years, they are just now starting to improve them with the gas piston design. I prefer the AK...

#13 ·
I don't think it's going too far out on a limb,

to state that an AKM, SKS, or Mosin M44 would

all be very respectable SHTF weapons. They're

sturdy, simple, and self-contained.

Probably not what you'd want to fight a war,

but great survival tools. Tremendous potential

in a pinch, on the run.

#14 ·
I'd stick with SKS/AK or the Mosin Nagant, an AR will get spendy way too quickly.

Mosin gets my vote just feeling out what you're after or the SKS; those will net you the most bang for your buck. Mosin has more power and accuracy potential but not the capacity or speed of the autoloader.

#15 ·
I'd stick with SKS/AK or the Mosin Nagant, an AR will get spendy way too quickly.

Mosin gets my vote just feeling out what you're after or the SKS; those will net you the most bang for your buck. Mosin has more power and accuracy potential but not the capacity or speed of the autoloader.
That's the key in a SHTF situation, fire power, and lots of it!

#16 ·
I just want a krinker plinker kit.. Anybody got one they wanna sell? or trade?

#18 ·
People often overlook the good, old fashioned lever action rifle for these scenarios. Relatively cheap, accurate, ammo is plentiful (depending upon caliber selection), can be used as a hunting rifle, easy to reload, and it doesn't have the negative stigma associated with "black assault weapons".

#19 · (Edited)
I just want a krinker plinker kit.. Anybody got one they wanna sell? or trade?
http://www.thelibertyman.com/the_krinker_plinker.php

I did Josh, but I gave it to my Daughter.

Manufacturer: C&S Metall-Werkes KRINKER
Item: RGR-025

Transform your Ruger 10/22 into an AK-47 Krinkov!

The Krinker-Plinker is a complete conversion kit for your Ruger 10/22 to turn it into a miniature AKS-74U Krinkov. This is not just a cheap drop in plastic stock, but a true transformation using original military AK 74 parts and stamped, molded, cast and CNC machined pieces. Installation is simple, just remove the stock and barrel from your 10/22 and install the kit. It takes about 20 minutes.

Works with your 10/22!

The Krinker Plinker works with all semi automatic and full auto Ruger 10/22 rifles. Your original receiver, bolt and trigger pack (semi or automatic) are installed in the kit without modification.

Superb Quality!!

The Krinker Plinker kits are built completely in the C&S Metall-Werkes Limited shop using state of the art CNC machines.

Specifications and Features:
Stamped steel chassis with Black-T finish
Authentic AKS-74U Krinkov folding stock
16" heavy match-grade barrel with 1/2" X 28 threads and slip over fake suppressor
Authentic AK-74 black synthetic pistol grip and lower forearm
Picatinny Rail lower forearm with removable side rails
Upgraded sight set with fully adjustable rear aperture and protected post front sight
CNC machined Picatinny rail for use with optics
Extended magazine release
Beautiful dark satin black oxide finish on all steel parts
Beautiful dark satin black hardcoat anodize finish on all aluminum parts
Detailed and easy to follow installation instructions complete with photos

For warranty issues contact C&S Metall-Werkes Ltd..
KEN CHOATE (636) 928-1511
info@csm-w.com

#20 ·
A primary (to me) consideration for a SHTF is ammo availability. That M44 is a fair choice (but not very accurate and slow to fire and reload), Where could you find 7.62X54R ammo if everthing goes hay-wire? Ammunition in .223, .308 or .30-06 would be far easier to find or barter for.

Second on my own list would be reliability. The SKS fills the bill there, but again, wich would be easier to find - 7.62X39 or .223? With that in mind, you may be better of going with an AR platform, like an M4 or AR15A2 or A3. Seems like all of the AR's bugs have been worked out. Could even find one that uses a gas-piston for a cleaner running action.

Graehaven is right about the stash of food and water. You can't last very long without that. Let us all pray that these SHTF scenarios never happen. If Hollywood's versions are anything like what might happen, it would truly be hell on earth.

#21 ·
if i had to have a weapon to go out and scrounge with.. hadn't thought about an sks.. but looking at it.. it's 10 rounds that relaods decently fast with a stripper.. and may have a spike or blade bayo depending on where you live.

kinda clumsy in full stock.. but versatile and no doubts on stopping power.

I'd have to think real hard between that and a tactical 12g... both winners IMHO

ps.. I'd take the sks over the wasr10 any day. have both... the wastr.. well.. it's an ak pattern gun.. i wanted to have 1 .. now I can say i do.. and I'd still rather shoot an sks.. :)

#22 ·
I have an SKS with Monte Carlo stock, heat shield, flash suppressor, laser and red dot scope andi just bought a Glock 22 last week. I may move up to a AK but scared about price after the election coming up. I know the .40 cal glock will be pricey but I have a stock of 7.62x39 and it is cheaper than 223 so that isbthe route I took.

#23 ·
I have an SKS with Monte Carlo stock, heat shield, flash suppressor, laser and red dot scope andi just bought a Glock 22 last week. I may move up to a AK but scared about price after the election coming up. I know the .40 cal glock will be pricey but I have a stock of 7.62x39 and it is cheaper than 223 so that isbthe route I took.
Welcome to the forum!

#24 ·
Thanks for all the input, especially Mogunner. I just ordered a Saiga 7.62x39 unconverted rifle, and the deal I got is about $200 less than my baseline (wife approved) budget!! I'll give a report when I take delivery and get to the range with it. Now I'll start researching AMMO!!!

#25 ·
Thanks for all the input, especially Mogunner. I just ordered a Saiga 7.62x39 unconverted rifle, and the deal I got is about $200 less than my baseline (wife approved) budget!! I'll give a report when I take delivery and get to the range with it. Now I'll start researching AMMO!!!
You'll likely be very happy with that choice. Good luck! And 7.62x39 is relatively affordable, so stock up as much as you can. Don't forget to support your local gun shop. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.