SHTF Weapon - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Redd, Oct 8, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I just want a krinker plinker kit.. Anybody got one they wanna sell? or trade?
  2. Redd

Redd Member

I've read incredibly mixed reviews on the DPMS, the ones I looked at are flat top with a dust cover and forward assist. It feels good to hold, but I don't want a crappy setup and be out of that much money.
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    People often overlook the good, old fashioned lever action rifle for these scenarios. Relatively cheap, accurate, ammo is plentiful (depending upon caliber selection), can be used as a hunting rifle, easy to reload, and it doesn't have the negative stigma associated with "black assault weapons".
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

http://www.thelibertyman.com/the_krinker_plinker.php

I did Josh, but I gave it to my Daughter.

Manufacturer: C&S Metall-Werkes KRINKER
    Item: RGR-025

Transform your Ruger 10/22 into an AK-47 Krinkov!

The Krinker-Plinker is a complete conversion kit for your Ruger 10/22 to turn it into a miniature AKS-74U Krinkov. This is not just a cheap drop in plastic stock, but a true transformation using original military AK 74 parts and stamped, molded, cast and CNC machined pieces. Installation is simple, just remove the stock and barrel from your 10/22 and install the kit. It takes about 20 minutes.

Works with your 10/22!

The Krinker Plinker works with all semi automatic and full auto Ruger 10/22 rifles. Your original receiver, bolt and trigger pack (semi or automatic) are installed in the kit without modification.

Superb Quality!!

The Krinker Plinker kits are built completely in the C&S Metall-Werkes Limited shop using state of the art CNC machines.

Specifications and Features:
    Stamped steel chassis with Black-T finish
    Authentic AKS-74U Krinkov folding stock
    16" heavy match-grade barrel with 1/2" X 28 threads and slip over fake suppressor
    Authentic AK-74 black synthetic pistol grip and lower forearm
    Picatinny Rail lower forearm with removable side rails
    Upgraded sight set with fully adjustable rear aperture and protected post front sight
    CNC machined Picatinny rail for use with optics
    Extended magazine release
    Beautiful dark satin black oxide finish on all steel parts
    Beautiful dark satin black hardcoat anodize finish on all aluminum parts
    Detailed and easy to follow installation instructions complete with photos

For warranty issues contact C&S Metall-Werkes Ltd..
    KEN CHOATE (636) 928-1511
    info@csm-w.com
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

A primary (to me) consideration for a SHTF is ammo availability. That M44 is a fair choice (but not very accurate and slow to fire and reload), Where could you find 7.62X54R ammo if everthing goes hay-wire? Ammunition in .223, .308 or .30-06 would be far easier to find or barter for.

Second on my own list would be reliability. The SKS fills the bill there, but again, wich would be easier to find - 7.62X39 or .223? With that in mind, you may be better of going with an AR platform, like an M4 or AR15A2 or A3. Seems like all of the AR's bugs have been worked out. Could even find one that uses a gas-piston for a cleaner running action.

Graehaven is right about the stash of food and water. You can't last very long without that. Let us all pray that these SHTF scenarios never happen. If Hollywood's versions are anything like what might happen, it would truly be hell on earth.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if i had to have a weapon to go out and scrounge with.. hadn't thought about an sks.. but looking at it.. it's 10 rounds that relaods decently fast with a stripper.. and may have a spike or blade bayo depending on where you live.

kinda clumsy in full stock.. but versatile and no doubts on stopping power.

I'd have to think real hard between that and a tactical 12g... both winners IMHO

ps.. I'd take the sks over the wasr10 any day. have both... the wastr.. well.. it's an ak pattern gun.. i wanted to have 1 .. now I can say i do.. and I'd still rather shoot an sks.. :)
  7. I'm a Ninja! Shhhh!!

I'm a Ninja! Shhhh!! New Member

I have an SKS with Monte Carlo stock, heat shield, flash suppressor, laser and red dot scope andi just bought a Glock 22 last week. I may move up to a AK but scared about price after the election coming up. I know the .40 cal glock will be pricey but I have a stock of 7.62x39 and it is cheaper than 223 so that isbthe route I took.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum!
  9. Redd

Redd Member

Thanks for all the input, especially Mogunner. I just ordered a Saiga 7.62x39 unconverted rifle, and the deal I got is about $200 less than my baseline (wife approved) budget!! I'll give a report when I take delivery and get to the range with it. Now I'll start researching AMMO!!!
  10. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

You'll likely be very happy with that choice. Good luck! And 7.62x39 is relatively affordable, so stock up as much as you can. Don't forget to support your local gun shop. :D
  11. soundguy

yep.. with all the milsurp out there.. even the non loadable stuff is nice.

I actually have a bit of a plan on my survival ammo stores.. but i'll start a seperate thread on it.
  12. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

If you decide to do the conversion drop me a line if you have any questions, I have pretty much 90% of the process in photos that I took while doing it. There's a couple of decent guides online but I found a couple of things missing out of the steps they had listed.
  13. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

I used AR's in combat-I am NOT impressed. In REAL cold weather. Anything below 10degrees F- well the heat from firing AFTER ceasefire will cause the moisture in the air to condense and FREEZE-causing the locking lugs on the bolt face seems to be welded in the receiver. The Mini 14 on ther other hand uses a bolt system similar to the M-1 and M-14-which is easier to unstick if air moisture freezes on the bolt face or around the bolt. A round of ammo - using the point is a good scraping deicer. IMO
  14. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Careful of 7.62 X 39 ammo that uses metal that easily corrodes with moisture- I had some "silver" looking shell cases that became so pitted they were virtually unusable.
  15. soundguy

i must have missed it.. what conversion?