SHTF Weapon - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Redd, Oct 8, 2012.

1. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Look at it like this:

If you get a M44, you have only to bore out the butt stock,

and the cleaning tools will go behind the butt plate.

Then, not only is the rifle fully complete and self-contained,

but you'll be on the way to rounding out your Mosin

collection. Get a really good one, or you'll have a lifetime to

regret not spending that additional 80$...
  2. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

When the Russkies import the Saiga's they have to conform to a "sporting rifle" configuration. While they function fine in this setup, most people "convert" them back to the AK style setup by changing out certain parts for US made parts under 922r compliance restrictions. This is what they look like when they come into the States.

[​IMG]

Change the stock, move the trigger group back forward where it was originally, add pistol grip and change handguard and you're good to go as far as being legal for 992r, you can also change the gas piston as yet another "changeable" part. With a small file you can take just a smidgeon off the mag latch and high capacity AK mags will fit but you have to also install a bullet guide as the front of the AK mags are a tad shorter than the plastic Saiga ones so the guide is used to tip the bullet nose up and into the chamber mouth. There's loads of options out there for parts.

Here's mine after conversion.

[​IMG]
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

neat thanks!
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm running the stock Saigia in .308, 25 rd. mags. It's a little on the heavy side, but I love it!
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks Jona. I got the link saved already. I just wanna try to score one used and cheaper off somebody that dont want it anymore
  6. mogunner

Yep, mine tips the scale at 10.2 lbs with the 30 round mags.
  7. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Seems pretty pricey to me.........I personally like some of the M1 Carbine stock conversions I've seen for the 10/22. Thinking about it, I'm just not an AK fan.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got one of those John. Picked it up complete for 160 bucks. The stock kit alone goes for 100+.. I bought it for the wife.
  9. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Heres my choices.............

[​IMG]
  10. Redd

Redd Member

Does anyone know of a good place to read up on 922R, if I get the 30 round mags does that make it non compliant even if it's unconverted?
  11. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

#2 shot is better.
  12. mogunner

Yep, it sure does. Mags count as three parts in the 922r scheme, but there are companies who make followers and floorplates for the AK mags if for some reason you don't want to do a standard conversion. Trigger group is 3 parts, stock, pistol grip, gas piston, handguard, muzzle device, each count as one, on the AK/Saiga you need to install at least 6 USA made parts that are on the 922r checklist. So if you want to use AK mags, install a trigger group (not all that difficult), stock, pistol grip and a gas piston and you're good to go, I did the handguard as I just didn't care for the standard one.

Here's a link to a good reference checklist:
    http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
  13. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Why use #2 shot?? Because will not damage interior of home? Not penetrate walls?? But still take out the bad guy???
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

More pellets yet still big enough to do maximum damage..

I personally prefer #4 BUCK for HD. 21 .22 cal pellets in a 2 3/4" load at 1400 fps. Thats about equal to 21 shots from a .22 LR handgun ALL AT ONCE!

BTW, there is a difference between #2 BUCK and #2 SHOT. BUCK SHOT gets bigger the smaller the number goes.. SHOT is the other way around. And where Shot leaves off at BBB (steel ~.20 cal) #4 BUCK picks up with .22 cal pellets.
  15. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

yeah and I suppose with #4 buck the Local procecutor can't say you used "excessive force" where 00 buck and slugs don't leave to much meat for the forensic folks to ID;)