SHTF Weapon - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Redd, Oct 8, 2012.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

#2 shot is better.
  2. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Yep, it sure does. Mags count as three parts in the 922r scheme, but there are companies who make followers and floorplates for the AK mags if for some reason you don't want to do a standard conversion. Trigger group is 3 parts, stock, pistol grip, gas piston, handguard, muzzle device, each count as one, on the AK/Saiga you need to install at least 6 USA made parts that are on the 922r checklist. So if you want to use AK mags, install a trigger group (not all that difficult), stock, pistol grip and a gas piston and you're good to go, I did the handguard as I just didn't care for the standard one.

Here's a link to a good reference checklist:
    http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Why use #2 shot?? Because will not damage interior of home? Not penetrate walls?? But still take out the bad guy???
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

More pellets yet still big enough to do maximum damage..

I personally prefer #4 BUCK for HD. 21 .22 cal pellets in a 2 3/4" load at 1400 fps. Thats about equal to 21 shots from a .22 LR handgun ALL AT ONCE!

BTW, there is a difference between #2 BUCK and #2 SHOT. BUCK SHOT gets bigger the smaller the number goes.. SHOT is the other way around. And where Shot leaves off at BBB (steel ~.20 cal) #4 BUCK picks up with .22 cal pellets.
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

yeah and I suppose with #4 buck the Local procecutor can't say you used "excessive force" where 00 buck and slugs don't leave to much meat for the forensic folks to ID;)
  6. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

What JLA said. With more pellets you get a slightly larger pattern (especially with a really short barrel ;) ), so you don't need to be as careful with aim - just point it in the general direction, and you'll hit 'em with enough lead to put 'em down. And I did mean #2 shot, not buck, but either one works. PS: #2 shot has about 87 lead pellets of .150 dia. (12 gage) . Good for up to 20yds or so.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no two is what the knee cappers used out here get hit with enough of the shot and it tears the hide right off you , strip a leg bone clean on a man at 12 feet and the bone will be holy too
  8. SmallCaliberGuy

SmallCaliberGuy Active Member

With all the firepower mentioned, don't forget to pick up one weapon real cheap and one that would come in handy in a SHTF situation.......a slingshot!!

Good for hunting and generally wreaking havoc on the bad guys.

Jody
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Why not a fully automatic machine gun?
  10. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

I live in a place where I can almost expect to see an attack similar to the one that hurt Reginald Denny years ago. I don't need that kind of injury so I've been thinking about such an issue and ways to keep myself safe. About the best things I have come up with, after a long research, are the possibility of using:

1. Marlin .44 magnum lever action saddle carbine.
    2. M-1 carbine.
    3. An AK type rifle with a folding stock with a red dot on top of it.
    4. A Kel Tec Sub 2000 type rifle.

I've looked at all 3 calibers that the AK rifles come in and determined that the 7.62 X 39 could be the better defense cartridge for close range work. I am leaning towards getting another AK type rifle in the 7.62 X 39 configuration with a folding stock and mounting a red dot sight on top for defensive high speed shooting scenarios. A decent rifle backed up by a good pistol which is backed up by a sheath knife should take care of any kind of potential attackers no matter how close things get to me. I used this same set-up in Viet Nam and made it through a long tour of duty over there.
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

most subguns are ammo wasters. not precise shot machines.

I'd take a sniper rifle over a machinegun if I planned to hold out.

something in between like a good ak or sks would be ok as well. fires as fast as you pull the trigger.. and isn't overly picky on what it eats..

relying on mass ammo output in a situation where resources are finite will be a loosing proposition.. IMHO..
  12. Redd

Redd Member

Would it be a good idea to get parts for my Mosin-Nagant, or just get a couple of spare bolt assemblies?
    Also, would it be useful to use the bottle that came with the Mosin for oil and solvent? I was thinking Hoppe #9 in one side, but I don't know what type of oil for the other side.
  13. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

it lasted this long with no spares right?

besides.. you gonna have a gunsmith headspace it afterwards? :)

as for cleaning fluids.. I'd keep some spray cleaner like brakekleen, some silicone spray.. and some synthetic oil. walmart sells quarts of 10w30 and 5w30 synthetic engine oil for like 5$. a quart will lube yer guns in the hereafter past your lifetime :)

I use that syn oil saved from 'empty' bottles.. use it to lube my relaod equipment. works great and is 'free'

after a couple oil changes.. I had 4-5oz reclaimed.

some syn grease would be nice too.. remember.. a lil lube goes a long way on a gun.. and more is not better. :)

ps.. that's just what i'd do.

I'm no expert by any means.. just ask LD.. :)
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  14. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Short barrel m16..