side by side 12ga.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kwall, Jan 12, 2007.

1. kwall

kwall New Member

I am looking for information about an A.Richards side by side 12 gauge.It has e over lg in a circle with a crown.It has fine domisgus belgium on top of the barrels and has a cow elk on one side and a deer on the other.It looks like the engravings are rough or maybe poor craftsmanship.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Kwall......welcome to TFF! :)

What I believe you have is a typical inexpensive Belgian import from around the turn-of-the-century (1880-1910).....the "A. Richards" tradename hoping to confusing the buyer into thinking they were getting a "W. Richards" (Westley Richards....an expensive and finely made British shotgun).

This was fairly typical of that era.

Please note that Damascus barrels were made of a twist steel, for low pressure black powder shells, and should never be used with modern shotgun shells.

Value as a wall hanger.....around $50.
  3. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Welcome, indeed!

I agree with everything xracer said EXCEPT you really shouldn't shoot this gun at all, not even with black powder loads and you might get quite a bit more than $50 out of it even as a wall hanger.

I've seen guns that definitely were not repairable bring more than $200 at the "Brand X" auction; granted the bidders may have just had a wild hair day or something, but wall hangers do tend to bring more than they used to.

Again, welcome to TFF.