1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

side by side 12ga.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kwall, Jan 12, 2007.

1. kwall

kwall New Member

I am looking for information about an A.Richards side by side 12 gauge.It has e over lg in a circle with a crown.It has fine domisgus belgium on top of the barrels and has a cow elk on one side and a deer on the other.It looks like the engravings are rough or maybe poor craftsmanship.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Kwall......welcome to TFF! :)

What I believe you have is a typical inexpensive Belgian import from around the turn-of-the-century (1880-1910).....the "A. Richards" tradename hoping to confusing the buyer into thinking they were getting a "W. Richards" (Westley Richards....an expensive and finely made British shotgun).

This was fairly typical of that era.

Please note that Damascus barrels were made of a twist steel, for low pressure black powder shells, and should never be used with modern shotgun shells.

Value as a wall hanger.....around $50.
  3. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Welcome, indeed!

I agree with everything xracer said EXCEPT you really shouldn't shoot this gun at all, not even with black powder loads and you might get quite a bit more than $50 out of it even as a wall hanger.

I've seen guns that definitely were not repairable bring more than $200 at the "Brand X" auction; granted the bidders may have just had a wild hair day or something, but wall hangers do tend to bring more than they used to.

Again, welcome to TFF.