side by side help

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by kravi, Nov 18, 2011.

1. kravi

kravi New Member

Hello folks, I could use some advice.

I'm in the market for a side by side (maybe I'm just old fashioned). I'm looking for something reasonably priced, wood stocked, reliable and used. I don't buy cars new, so why should I buy guns new?

Problem is, I don't know too much about shotguns, so I'm hoping for some recommendations about what to look for, what is good (for the price), etc.

Much obliged,

--Me
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I'm going to assume that the big names (LC Smith, AH Fox, Parker, etc) are out of the budget.

For a decent shooter, look at the Savage 311 series. They were made in one variety or another for many years, are readily available for affordable prices on the used market, and are good reliable shotguns.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Or, if you want vintage I've got a Lefever Nitro Special 16ga... :)
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Weatherby offers a line of good S X S shotguns and they are made by SKB, which also has them for sale. I have to say that a bare bones S X S that will hold up is going to be three times as expensive as a decent pump. If you buy something made in Russia or Turkey you will be sorry.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

+1 FOR STOEGER. If , as you state, you do not know much about shotguns you would do better to go with either a new gun or a purchase from a trusted friend.
    When buying a used gun knowledge is your best friend. As we all know, there are a number of pitfalls for the unaware.
  7. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

If you are going to buy a new Inexpensive SBS or an OU I would opt for Double Triggers,
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

cpttango30 is right, I have one of their O/U's in .410-I was and still am impressed with it!:):
  9. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

One of the bigger problems with a used side by side shotgun would be that there are relatively fewer of them made in recent times. The o/u and repeating shotguns have dominated the sales market for the last 30 years. Yes, used ones are about; but, they would be more likely built by a "higher end" maker such as Browning. There is nothing wrong with any gun Browning ever built, they would just be on the high side of cost.

What is your budget and what do you intend to use a shotgun for?

If you want to be a tad more practical than nostalgic, widen your scope to include o/u and single barrel repeaters. My reasoning is that if you are "less familiar" with shotguns in general a gun with a narrower sighting plane might be easier for a beginner to learn to shoot well.
  10. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

If you want a short barrel coach gun or a traditional 28" side by side, Stoger makes both. Most of their SXS shotguns are made in Brazil and are well made firearms. I have owned two side by sides over the years and have never had a problem with them. The are reasonable priced too.

Neverhome
  11. michaelcj

michaelcj New Member

Might want to check out CZ's offerings in an under $1000.00 range.
    MJ
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Another fan of the stoeger imports here too.

Heres a shot of my 12 ga coachgun... Its a 420 dollar NIB SXS... I paid 300 for mine.

Well built, nickel plated, double triggers, checkered walnut stocks.

I love it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011