The Firearms Forum banner

Side-mounting a scope on a Marlin 336?

13K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gabob 
#1 ·
Can I get a scope side mounted on the left side of a Marlin 336 lever gun with a reasonably low amount of hassle and cost?

Here's the reason for the need to side mount a scope. I am cross-dominant which means I shoot right-handed but sight with my left eye. Handgun shooting is not much problem but in order to get my left eye to see through a top mounted scope I have to crane my neck over and lay my cheek on the stock.

I want to buy a 30-30 lever action rifle for hunting. Mossberg makes the 464 lever gun which is top eject. As such it must have a side mounted scope. A Marlin 336 lever gun has a better reputation though.

What do ya think? Can a scope be left side mounted on any lever action rifle particularly a Marlin 336?

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)

a gent here who is blind in his right eye from a welding accident ( the whole thing blew , older oil cooled unit) has one i fitted

we got the above unit from the US for a win 94 and drilled and tapped the mount to fit then made over long bolts to mount it using the factory holes in the rifle

not a easy job but doable and not expencive

contact scopemounts.com for more info

heck they may even do it for you

they where very helpfull

this was done early 08

S&K SCOPE MOUNTS
70 SWEDE HOLLOW RD.SUGAR GROVE, PA 16350-9306
PHONE: (814) 489-3091

is the details i have ....

if not suitable for you try this

http://ultimak.com/pic36.htm

i have no experiance with this but looks ok

cheers and good luck

jack

#4 ·
If you are under 30, just teach yerself to shoot with only the right eye open ;)
Um...30 years of age has come and gone for me already. I am stuck with just the eyes I have. :eek:

Left eye sees good, Right eye sees fuzzy.

#5 ·

a gent here who is blind in his right eye from a welding accident ( the whole thing blew , older oil cooled unit) has one i fitted

we got the above unit from the US for a win 94 and drilled and tapped the mount to fit then made over long bolts to mount it using the factory holes in the rifle

not a easy job but doable and not expencive

contact scopemounts.com for more info

heck they may even do it for you

they where very helpfull

this was done early 08

S&K SCOPE MOUNTS
70 SWEDE HOLLOW RD.SUGAR GROVE, PA 16350-9306
PHONE: (814) 489-3091

is the details i have ....

if not suitable for you try this

http://ultimak.com/pic36.htm

i have no experiance with this but looks ok

cheers and good luck

jack
Jacks idea seems best. Why not get a left hand rifle and set up!

#6 ·
I will look into these good suggestions. I have tried shooting a left-handed rifle and it just didn't feel right. I'll have to use a right-handed rifle with left mounted scope.

#7 ·
I will look into these good suggestions. I have tried shooting a left-handed rifle and it just didn't feel right. I'll have to use a right-handed rifle with left mounted scope.
You might also want to look into Laser Eye Surgery...it's fairly inexpensive now, most insurance plans cover it as well...

Although yer wife might punch ya if you look at too many hot babes in bikini's ;)

#8 ·
Many years ago I put a dogleg stock on a Remington auto fora fellow with a similar eye problem. The stock was offset and the scope in the normal position. I don't know where he got the stock blank or if they are still available

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.