Sidearm during deer season?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hstout1143, Aug 5, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I hunt in Utah during deer season and have seen mountain lion tracks in fresh snow that were over mine and less than 10 minutes old from a cat that had followed me for more than a hundred yards. This has me more than a little freaked out, especially since my young son goes with me. Does anyone know if it's legal to carry a sidearm during dear season?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. Clipper

Clipper Member

Re: Sidearm during dear season?

Hmmm, in Texas you can go to jail for shooting your Dear....
  3. hstout1143

HAHAHA! It's crossed my mind a time or two, but what I meant was deer.
  4. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I suspect it'd be legal in Utah, which has more sensible laws than other places. In Virginia it's legal to carry a handgun while hunting, though it has to be of a sufficiently large caliber that no one could say you were hunting with too small a bullet. They can arrest you for hunting with a .22, but not with a .357, even if your real purpose is to have the handgun for personal protection. ("Probable cause" is not the same as "beyond a reasonable doubt").

With respect to the possibility of meeting a large cat (as have been reported in my area of W.Va., though I heard on the news the other day that the Eastern Cougar has become extinct), I settled on a S&W #29-8 "Mountain Gun". 4" barrel, .44 magnum chamber, w/cross-draw holster. Reason is that cats won't approach from the front - the first time you know there's one in the area, he'll be crunching the back of your head. I figure if I have sufficient presence of mind to shoot the thing, I'll be doing it under my left arm. Hence the short barrel. And it'll certainly work on black bear, wolf, coyote, etc., at least as well.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

In Texas, it is not legal to carry if bowhunting. Firearm season, it's legal. Don't know about other states. All state regs are online and fairly easy to access.
  6. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I almost got busted for carrying a pistol in Texas on a federal preserve.Federal warden was cool about it.They may have changed the law as this was years ago.This was in the Big Thicket preserve
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

it's legal here during modern firearm, was not when I was in PA as a kid. I always pack several handguns, usually a drop leg semi auto and a backup revolver.

Kitties are overpopulated here, tons and tons of sign everywhere you go. The problem with cougars is that you will never see it coming. Still doesn't stop me from being as prepared as I can. They will hit you hard from behind and most likely will be all over your head/neck area. Only thing you can do is fight for your life!

The bright side is that kitties don't generally attack people; while it does happen, it is so rare it really is not much of an issue. Small children need to be close and it's best to travel in groups but I've spent half my life alone in the woods and although I've had my spidy senses tingle here and there, don't sweat it too much.

It is kinda freaky though, I know I've been stalked more than a few times and they're always around; fresh snow is my favorite, I can at least monitor animal movement to see if one is in my area. (or more like it, see if I'm in the kitty's area!!)
  8. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

I can only speak to TN,Ga & NC
    Yes-Caliber, Barrel Length & Ammo.must be within HandGun Game Laws
    My Example: Model 19 S&W,357Caliber,6in Barrel.

9. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. You must be aware of where you are hunting and the Federal policies. I was thinking private property in Texas. Maybe that's why internet advice is not always a good thing.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I can't believe this? Here in rural Alaska, once it get warm, practically everybody has sidearms. We live along the Yukon and have all kinds of bear that haven't seen people, they think food. When grizz start walkin the road in late May, kids take rifles to the bus stop, people walk in and outta the store,school, P.O. with pistols on their belts and nobody gives a second glance, nobody even talks or thinks about it. If somebody complained, they'd probably get fed to the bear; boy I'd hate to think about how mad people would get. No joke, just try and tell somebody they can't carry a pistol when bear are walkin the road everyday; you'd be run outta town. Course the nearest LEO is over 200 miles away, all kinds of freedom, no crime, just bear. Somethings wrong back East; you got too many laws, too much control, not enough freedom; probably why I bugged out 20 years back.

I carried 44s for years, then a 480, now 460's. 460 reaches out way further than 44 mag and I can hit game at 100-150 yards; have seen friends with my 10 inch 460 hit 12 inch target at 400 yards every other time. Notice the scratches on pipe, from 44 mag, then the dents from 480, then the nice holes from 200 grain 460s. I prefer the 460 over everything else. My son says he's trying out the new Kimber I bought him on caribou nx week, wait and see. Sometimes you get close shots right out the window.

[​IMG]

I've shot quite a few blk bear with pistols, they always run 20 yards, bawl, and die. I've never shot a grizz with a pistol though, I respect them and don't fool around; have a BAR 338 win mag, 250 noslers for them.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Here in Tn you can during rifle but there is a minimum caliber and barrel length.

If you have a carry permit you can carry during bow and muzzle loader but for SD only.
  12. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

It is different in each county and state. Here, you can carry pistol if during gun season. It has to be centerfire and using mushrooming ammunition. Best to check with your state's hunting regulations to be on the safe side.
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Just make sure you gun is big enough to do the job and as an aside you might want to consider buying an any gun permit which allows rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader or handgun to be used.
  14. ozo

ozo Active Member

Z I like that Ruger Alaskan and know many people up near you that carry one....
    it would be a 'minimum' for most days, although I did carry a .357 Blackhawk
    many,many of my days there.
    In the lower 48 the .357 Blackhawk was and still is my woods carry choice,
    mainly because I have done it for so long.
    There are more choices now than 50yrs ago......and if I were to move back to AK
    I have my S&W 500 for starters, but as you have, probably migrate to the 460 as well.
    The difference in 'carry' in places like AK or the Rockies or Montana....versus here in TN
    is my choice was always a western style holster or similar, and allows you to carry large revolvers. Imagine doing that here.....these days.....[even many places in TX, and
    THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT !!]
  15. ozo

ozo Active Member

Oh Z....
    I like them PC Smith's too....
    the short one a 480?[edit: the Redhawk]
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. ozo

ozo Active Member

stout
    If I were in your situation, I would
    probably carry my Blackhawk .357
    but only because it has become part of my arm
    over a long period of time.....just me.....
  17. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Ozo, Ya, I can reach over and have one out pretty quick; from my belt; often I just wedge the holster between this bar right above handlebars on the 4wheeler. Top two S&W 460s. middle two a 44 & 480 and lower super redhawk a 44. I don't have any problems with 460 like many claim, but you have to always check screws; they loosen up all the time.
  18. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

those are some nice big wheel gun cannons! Biggest I have is a .45LC but .357 is my preferred revolver during hunting season.

If I was able to hunt in AK, I would get one of those .460's or similar. 500SW is too much for this guy. Gotta accessorize my long gun before I can get more pistolas...

I believe you can carry here in WA during archery and muzzleloader also, but only for SD. 4" barrel minimum here for handgun (modern firearm only).
  19. ozo

ozo Active Member

Z my 500 stays together well.......:D......if you only shoot
    a cylinder full !!!
    Although the most I have fired consecutively is maybe
    4 cylinders in a row.....but if it needs cleaning......
    it NEEDS tightening !! That is a rule !!! Usually it gets
    cleaned less than tightened.
    When it was new, maybe 3-4 cylinders , the cylinder popped open
    when I fired it, startled the fire outta me. Hasn't since.
    I am surprised these [480-460-500-even the 44mag] guys hold up as well as they do....one helluva shock wave when you pull the trigger.
    Been thinking seriously about a Ruger .475 Linebaugh....
    I just hate to get too wild again with a bunch of different calibers
    to load, I spent too long toning it down to the few I load now.
  20. hstout1143

Well, I called Utah Fish and Game, they gave me the cell number to a game warden and he said yes, I can carry a sidearm as long it was a large caliber center fire handgun.