Sidearm during deer season?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hstout1143, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is not as rare as people think to be followed by a mountain lion. They are smart and are curious. It is always smart to have a side arm, and I prefer the .44. I must say Zurch, your .460 looks mighty tempting and I am sure it's a matter of time before I buy one.

The mountain lion is ellusive and from everything I have read, they never attack straight on. It's always an ambush especially about the time you stop because nature called. I'm just saying so never take your side arm and set it more than arms reach away when your doin the big job, or even the little job. That's good advice right there.
  2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Well I have several weapons that I would feel comfortable carrying, Colt 1911 .45, Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, S&W .357 mag and the one I will most likely use, my Ruger Redhawk .41 mag. The double action revolver is as reliable as they come in my book.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

10-4 there.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Especially in cold environments, I prefer a wheelgun at least as a backup. With proper care and attention the autos will do fine but the revolver is a great tool to have when you're out there flappin' in the cold and snow.

Having a rifle or long gun on you is probably as effective as a pistol in a kitty attack; getting a shot on a mauling cougar would be aweful tough but some RBFT with your rifle might be enough to get some distance to get in a shot. Something I hope to never worry about, those things are the most efficient killing machines.

Nice kitty!

I came across a cougar kill a couple months ago while hiking with the family, looked like a small elk; kept the kids close to us (as usual anyway) and the M1A in hand (as usual also, hahaa!). It was hidden in some dense brush but found it from a scattered bone that was near the trail area (old unused logging road).

Not sure if it's the soldier in me or the lurking thought of a kitty but I tend to look behind me very often, especially when I'm alone. I like to have options of hardware!
  5. al45lc

al45lc New Member

My 'sidearm' is my PRIMARY hunting gun, the rifle is backup.
  6. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Glad Utah is good about that. AZ just changed the laws here, effective just four days ago, carry more than one firearm/weapon, as long as the game isn't taken with the non authorized weapon. For example, if while bowhunting you decide to carry a folding Keltec rifle, that's AOK as long as the game all have arrow holes in them. We also removed magazine limits too - now I can coyote bust with my vz-58, if I ever get out there to do it!
  7. capgun

capgun Member

In Florida if you have a CWP you can carry a sidearm on public land during all hunting seasons as long as it is concealed,but you may carry open during general gun
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

If you have your CHL, you can carry your concealed handgun while bow hunting in Texas.

Speaking for me, I never go anywhere without my protection.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My choice, easy to carry and at 100 yards accurate enough for me. Say hello to my old S&W M58 41 magnum. This was yesterdays 100 yard target, not rifle accurate but 210 grains in the boiler room is going to stop most any deer I ever saw. Ammo used was Remington JHP and these were the last 5 shots of the day.

[​IMG]
  10. twobit

twobit Active Member

True regarding the CHL allowence ^
    Also in Texas do not carry a rimfire while hunting deer during bow or gun season. I suppose that a NAA 22 mini-mag in your pocket, if you have a CHL, would be OK if it is for your protection.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I do carry a NAA .22 mag also, don't think anyone would even find it much less hassle ya over it. But yeah, rimfire, especially rifle, is a no-go during big game!

OldGrump, very nice mag ya got there; I use the same grips on my GP100. I wish the .41 mag had gotten more popular, it's a fantastic choice of caliber. I stored one for a buddy a couple years ago (was a Ruger though) while he was deployed so I got to try one out finally. Perfect mix of .357 and .44, a fine gun I think
  12. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Double action rapid fire at 15 yards is pretty brutal but doable. Not recommended for old codgers with arthritis, you feel real good right after the shooting stops but 3AM the next morning you start paying the price.

[​IMG]

The .357 and the 44 mag are both a lot easier to shoot and without my Hogue grips I never could have done this. I love the gun but it is a real grizzly for sure.
  13. Smoke

Smoke Member

The laws changed in Indiana recently, you can now carry a pistol while hunting.
    Carrying Handguns
    An individual may carry a handgun while
    hunting without a license to carry a handgun
    in accordance with Indiana Code 35-47-2-1
    at IN.gov/legislative. It is not legal to take
    a deer with a handgun except during the
    firearms, special antlerless, and muzzleloader
    seasons and in compliance with DNR
    regulations.
  14. RichR

RichR Member

I have carried a sidearms for many years here in Colorado-Legal.First was a 22 then moved to a 357,and back to a 22.
  15. whip

whip New Member

I carry a Colt Anaconda 4inch 44mag for Griz while fishing and bowhunting in my area. Not too worriede about lions they are curious but not likely to attack. Griz on the other hand can be a little aggressive. My son has a S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun its lighter than the Anaconda but shoots just as well. If I can find a used Mountain Gun I will buy it and stop carrying the Anaconda. Wyoming just made it legal to carry a side arm while bow hunting a few years ago in response to several grizzly attacks. But the size of some of the grizzly bears I have seen makes me doubt how effective the .44 mag will be. Hope I never have to find out. Best defense is pepper spray but a back up is sure nice to have.
  16. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

In Kalifornistan it is legal to open carry loaded while in the National Forest or BLM lands...

i like to carry the SW 629 .44 mag with the first shot with snake shot for rattlers, then the rest HPs for the mountain lion, black bear, wolves just reappeared for the first time since 1924, but the biggest threat I have is Pepe the dope grower and his homies...
  17. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, we got lot's o illegals from the south up here in the national forest growing pot in large to massive quantities. Ran into a couple over the years, pretty creepy dudes. Must be makin' a lot of money, it's a huge risk with all the hunters scouting year round. One phone call and Johnny law is coming to get you. I have the tip number saved in my phone.
  18. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Very true!
  19. 45nut

45nut Active Member

That's a good way to end up in the morgue! I've read about what to do if you run upon a weed farm in the wilderness. Spooky.
  20. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

from reading around quite a bit on the pot grows, they are generally guarded by 2-3 folks heavily armed. I've not heard of anyone getting shot, they're pretty worried about getting caught I would imagine and don't want to give up the ghost and lose the crop. But it still gives me the creeps as I'm out there flappin' by myself most of the time, no cell service within 30 miles or so.

Best thing to do is to just exit the area and get it called in ASAP. Lot's of signs that can give up location also; southern facing slopes, water source, water lines, away from roads/trails, heavily used roads where there shouldn't be, etc.. and people who only speak spanish is a big clue and of course the smell. creepy.