1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Sidearm during deer season?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hstout1143, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

stout
    If I were in your situation, I would
    probably carry my Blackhawk .357
    but only because it has become part of my arm
    over a long period of time.....just me.....
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Ozo, Ya, I can reach over and have one out pretty quick; from my belt; often I just wedge the holster between this bar right above handlebars on the 4wheeler. Top two S&W 460s. middle two a 44 & 480 and lower super redhawk a 44. I don't have any problems with 460 like many claim, but you have to always check screws; they loosen up all the time.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

those are some nice big wheel gun cannons! Biggest I have is a .45LC but .357 is my preferred revolver during hunting season.

If I was able to hunt in AK, I would get one of those .460's or similar. 500SW is too much for this guy. Gotta accessorize my long gun before I can get more pistolas...

I believe you can carry here in WA during archery and muzzleloader also, but only for SD. 4" barrel minimum here for handgun (modern firearm only).
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Z my 500 stays together well.......:D......if you only shoot
    a cylinder full !!!
    Although the most I have fired consecutively is maybe
    4 cylinders in a row.....but if it needs cleaning......
    it NEEDS tightening !! That is a rule !!! Usually it gets
    cleaned less than tightened.
    When it was new, maybe 3-4 cylinders , the cylinder popped open
    when I fired it, startled the fire outta me. Hasn't since.
    I am surprised these [480-460-500-even the 44mag] guys hold up as well as they do....one helluva shock wave when you pull the trigger.
    Been thinking seriously about a Ruger .475 Linebaugh....
    I just hate to get too wild again with a bunch of different calibers
    to load, I spent too long toning it down to the few I load now.
  5. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Well, I called Utah Fish and Game, they gave me the cell number to a game warden and he said yes, I can carry a sidearm as long it was a large caliber center fire handgun.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is not as rare as people think to be followed by a mountain lion. They are smart and are curious. It is always smart to have a side arm, and I prefer the .44. I must say Zurch, your .460 looks mighty tempting and I am sure it's a matter of time before I buy one.

The mountain lion is ellusive and from everything I have read, they never attack straight on. It's always an ambush especially about the time you stop because nature called. I'm just saying so never take your side arm and set it more than arms reach away when your doin the big job, or even the little job. That's good advice right there.
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Well I have several weapons that I would feel comfortable carrying, Colt 1911 .45, Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, S&W .357 mag and the one I will most likely use, my Ruger Redhawk .41 mag. The double action revolver is as reliable as they come in my book.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

10-4 there.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Especially in cold environments, I prefer a wheelgun at least as a backup. With proper care and attention the autos will do fine but the revolver is a great tool to have when you're out there flappin' in the cold and snow.

Having a rifle or long gun on you is probably as effective as a pistol in a kitty attack; getting a shot on a mauling cougar would be aweful tough but some RBFT with your rifle might be enough to get some distance to get in a shot. Something I hope to never worry about, those things are the most efficient killing machines.

Nice kitty!

I came across a cougar kill a couple months ago while hiking with the family, looked like a small elk; kept the kids close to us (as usual anyway) and the M1A in hand (as usual also, hahaa!). It was hidden in some dense brush but found it from a scattered bone that was near the trail area (old unused logging road).

Not sure if it's the soldier in me or the lurking thought of a kitty but I tend to look behind me very often, especially when I'm alone. I like to have options of hardware!
  10. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

My 'sidearm' is my PRIMARY hunting gun, the rifle is backup.
  11. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Glad Utah is good about that. AZ just changed the laws here, effective just four days ago, carry more than one firearm/weapon, as long as the game isn't taken with the non authorized weapon. For example, if while bowhunting you decide to carry a folding Keltec rifle, that's AOK as long as the game all have arrow holes in them. We also removed magazine limits too - now I can coyote bust with my vz-58, if I ever get out there to do it!
  12. capgun

capgun Member

In Florida if you have a CWP you can carry a sidearm on public land during all hunting seasons as long as it is concealed,but you may carry open during general gun
  13. 45nut

45nut Active Member

If you have your CHL, you can carry your concealed handgun while bow hunting in Texas.

Speaking for me, I never go anywhere without my protection.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My choice, easy to carry and at 100 yards accurate enough for me. Say hello to my old S&W M58 41 magnum. This was yesterdays 100 yard target, not rifle accurate but 210 grains in the boiler room is going to stop most any deer I ever saw. Ammo used was Remington JHP and these were the last 5 shots of the day.

[​IMG]
  15. twobit

twobit Active Member

True regarding the CHL allowence ^
    Also in Texas do not carry a rimfire while hunting deer during bow or gun season. I suppose that a NAA 22 mini-mag in your pocket, if you have a CHL, would be OK if it is for your protection.