Sidearm during deer season?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hstout1143, Aug 5, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I do carry a NAA .22 mag also, don't think anyone would even find it much less hassle ya over it. But yeah, rimfire, especially rifle, is a no-go during big game!

OldGrump, very nice mag ya got there; I use the same grips on my GP100. I wish the .41 mag had gotten more popular, it's a fantastic choice of caliber. I stored one for a buddy a couple years ago (was a Ruger though) while he was deployed so I got to try one out finally. Perfect mix of .357 and .44, a fine gun I think
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Double action rapid fire at 15 yards is pretty brutal but doable. Not recommended for old codgers with arthritis, you feel real good right after the shooting stops but 3AM the next morning you start paying the price.

[​IMG]

The .357 and the 44 mag are both a lot easier to shoot and without my Hogue grips I never could have done this. I love the gun but it is a real grizzly for sure.
  3. Smoke

Smoke Member

The laws changed in Indiana recently, you can now carry a pistol while hunting.
    Carrying Handguns
    An individual may carry a handgun while
    hunting without a license to carry a handgun
    in accordance with Indiana Code 35-47-2-1
    at IN.gov/legislative. It is not legal to take
    a deer with a handgun except during the
    firearms, special antlerless, and muzzleloader
    seasons and in compliance with DNR
    regulations.
  4. RichR

RichR Member

I have carried a sidearms for many years here in Colorado-Legal.First was a 22 then moved to a 357,and back to a 22.
  5. whip

whip New Member

I carry a Colt Anaconda 4inch 44mag for Griz while fishing and bowhunting in my area. Not too worriede about lions they are curious but not likely to attack. Griz on the other hand can be a little aggressive. My son has a S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun its lighter than the Anaconda but shoots just as well. If I can find a used Mountain Gun I will buy it and stop carrying the Anaconda. Wyoming just made it legal to carry a side arm while bow hunting a few years ago in response to several grizzly attacks. But the size of some of the grizzly bears I have seen makes me doubt how effective the .44 mag will be. Hope I never have to find out. Best defense is pepper spray but a back up is sure nice to have.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

In Kalifornistan it is legal to open carry loaded while in the National Forest or BLM lands...

i like to carry the SW 629 .44 mag with the first shot with snake shot for rattlers, then the rest HPs for the mountain lion, black bear, wolves just reappeared for the first time since 1924, but the biggest threat I have is Pepe the dope grower and his homies...
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, we got lot's o illegals from the south up here in the national forest growing pot in large to massive quantities. Ran into a couple over the years, pretty creepy dudes. Must be makin' a lot of money, it's a huge risk with all the hunters scouting year round. One phone call and Johnny law is coming to get you. I have the tip number saved in my phone.
  8. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Very true!
  9. 45nut

45nut Active Member

That's a good way to end up in the morgue! I've read about what to do if you run upon a weed farm in the wilderness. Spooky.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

from reading around quite a bit on the pot grows, they are generally guarded by 2-3 folks heavily armed. I've not heard of anyone getting shot, they're pretty worried about getting caught I would imagine and don't want to give up the ghost and lose the crop. But it still gives me the creeps as I'm out there flappin' by myself most of the time, no cell service within 30 miles or so.

Best thing to do is to just exit the area and get it called in ASAP. Lot's of signs that can give up location also; southern facing slopes, water source, water lines, away from roads/trails, heavily used roads where there shouldn't be, etc.. and people who only speak spanish is a big clue and of course the smell. creepy.
  11. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i ran into two abandoned grows this last year, one was Nov when dove hunting, and another in Dec when yote hunting... creepy stuff, gives you the chills for sure...

the dope growers have nothing to lose so they won't think twice about taking you down if that is what they think they have to do... i avoid any sign of them and walk back to where I came from if i sense them at all...

it really pisses me off that this scum is in the land that i have a right to be on...
  12. Win73

Win73 New Member

As I read the law here in Alabama, the only requirement for a pistol to be legal for deer is to be centerfire and use mushrooming ammunition. That means my Ruger LCP .380 pocket pistol is a legal deer gun. Notice I said legal, not adequate.

During gun season I carry my Ruger Blackhawk .45 in addition to my .30-06. Three seasons ago I had a six foot standing broad side shot at a doe with my .45 but didn't take it because I had seen a buck a few minutes before and was hoping to get a shot at it (but didn't). I guess that means a doe in the hand is worth a buck in the brush.
  13. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

Carry A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. In case some wild hogs need to know the meaning of stop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  14. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

I carry my 1911 even during bow season but I also have a CPL. THere are wolves and bears around these parts. Also some will say there are cats and hogs. Never seen those but I have been plenty close to the wolves and bears.
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I just had a run in with a black bear (wasn't hunting unfortunately or he'd be in the freezer) while I was on my Mt. bike; he was laying on the side of the road as I flew up to him, stopped about 30-40yds from him and commenced a staring match. Lucky for me I always have my piece, pulled out mr Glock 35 and the cell phone camera and took a few pics. Wouldn't want to be in that scenario without a firearm! Not likely to attack but when people ask why I always have a gun, they've obviously never stared at a potential threat up close and personal. Mr bear finally wandered into the woodline and let me pass.

Now if I could just re-play that scenario when/where it's legal to hunt....

Lots of critters up here in the Cascades that can ruin your day; kitties, bear, wolves, etc...