Sidearm during deer season?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hstout1143, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i ran into two abandoned grows this last year, one was Nov when dove hunting, and another in Dec when yote hunting... creepy stuff, gives you the chills for sure...

the dope growers have nothing to lose so they won't think twice about taking you down if that is what they think they have to do... i avoid any sign of them and walk back to where I came from if i sense them at all...

it really pisses me off that this scum is in the land that i have a right to be on...
  2. Win73

Win73 New Member

As I read the law here in Alabama, the only requirement for a pistol to be legal for deer is to be centerfire and use mushrooming ammunition. That means my Ruger LCP .380 pocket pistol is a legal deer gun. Notice I said legal, not adequate.

During gun season I carry my Ruger Blackhawk .45 in addition to my .30-06. Three seasons ago I had a six foot standing broad side shot at a doe with my .45 but didn't take it because I had seen a buck a few minutes before and was hoping to get a shot at it (but didn't). I guess that means a doe in the hand is worth a buck in the brush.
  3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

Carry A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. In case some wild hogs need to know the meaning of stop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

I carry my 1911 even during bow season but I also have a CPL. THere are wolves and bears around these parts. Also some will say there are cats and hogs. Never seen those but I have been plenty close to the wolves and bears.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I just had a run in with a black bear (wasn't hunting unfortunately or he'd be in the freezer) while I was on my Mt. bike; he was laying on the side of the road as I flew up to him, stopped about 30-40yds from him and commenced a staring match. Lucky for me I always have my piece, pulled out mr Glock 35 and the cell phone camera and took a few pics. Wouldn't want to be in that scenario without a firearm! Not likely to attack but when people ask why I always have a gun, they've obviously never stared at a potential threat up close and personal. Mr bear finally wandered into the woodline and let me pass.

Now if I could just re-play that scenario when/where it's legal to hunt....

Lots of critters up here in the Cascades that can ruin your day; kitties, bear, wolves, etc...
  6. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

aa, have you ever eaten bear? I plan on hunting northern Ca. next year and have heard there are bear everywhere, but I don't know anyone that has actually eaten bear meat. Does it taste good? How do you prepare it?
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yes! bear meat is delicious, it's like extremely lean beef. Not really any distinct flavor like venison or goat. Buy some pork fat to add and grind up your own burgers or make your own sausage out of it but the best way is either in stews where it won't dry out or in a crockpot or pressure cooker. Make sure to save the tenderloin for fillets to pan fry or cut them out in chops for the pressure cooker. Basically you can cook it any way you would a deer with similar results.

The heart is also fantastic, by far my favorite part of any red meat animal; I slice it crossways to the chambers (horizontally) and roll them in a little bit of flour and pan fry them in butter.

And with bear, you usually get at least twice the meat of your average deer, or more if ya luck into a big one. I plan on trying some bear jerky in the smoker too if I get one this year.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Saw a lady from Tok kill a caribou with her 1911 yesterday. Shot it out the window of her truck along side the road and it dropped on the spot. I've had that new kimber sitting between the seat and haven't got a close shot like that yet, but still hoping and have several more weeks of hunting until caribou season closes then reopens in November till March; I think I will get a shot sooner or later. The grizz should start feeding in the blueberries pretty quick, then maybe will get one, not with hand gun though.
  9. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

In Oklahoma, if you have a carry permit, you may carry a handgun while hunting fowl or animal. The legislation does not mention anything about "season", whether bow, primitive (black powder), or modern firearm.

Holders of carry permits may also carry a side arm while fishing.