sidelock conversion kits ?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Jun 13, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

Has anybody used the 209 primer conversion in a sidelock muzzleloader I seen one been never seen it used thanks
  2. runes

runes Member

Remington
    Prehaps you are looking for a hotter ignition for your muzzle loader. You can replace the nipple on most cap locks with one that will accept musket caps which are just as hot as any 209 primmer, and a lot easier to use. Just make sure that the hammer will fit over the larger cap.
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If you need hotter ignition you're not doing something right.
  4. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

My problem is that most stores around here dont sell real blackpowder they all sell the pellet and very little loose powder and one of the store around here said that I could use pellet in my gun if I uses a hotter ignition and a friend had a conversion kit for his that used small pistol primers
  5. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Lots of places to order real blackpowder on-line.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

either that or ask pops (Armedandsafe) to sell you a cap maker and make your own HOT caps ..
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to my knowledge there is no 209 conversion for the cap lock,remington makes a hotter cap that will work for you.the other thing you may try is to try different nipples,i had to try others until i found one to work properly.i only use 777 in powder form,pellets will nor work on a side lock. old semperfi
  8. jeepman

jeepman New Member

There are 209 conversion kits for cap lock rifles. the people i know that have used them didn't for long. apparently there not made very well.as has been mentioned find yourself some loose BP or pyrodex and your ignition problems will disappear.
  9. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I have a 209 conversion kit that I use in wet weather on my Hawken--it works very well. At the range I use the standard nipple and no. 11 caps, so I don't know how well the conversion nipple would work if used exclusively. It is a bit slower to reload as you have to unscrew the top to insert a new 209 primer. Paid about $22.
  10. Kiltman

Kiltman New Member

I know this is an old post but thought this info good.....
    I remember a "pistol primer" holder/conversion for a side lock ML.

my 2 cents
    Gerry