The Firearms Forum banner

sidelock conversion kits ?

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Kiltman 
#1 ·
Has anybody used the 209 primer conversion in a sidelock muzzleloader I seen one been never seen it used thanks

#2 ·
Remington
Prehaps you are looking for a hotter ignition for your muzzle loader. You can replace the nipple on most cap locks with one that will accept musket caps which are just as hot as any 209 primmer, and a lot easier to use. Just make sure that the hammer will fit over the larger cap.

#4 ·
My problem is that most stores around here dont sell real blackpowder they all sell the pellet and very little loose powder and one of the store around here said that I could use pellet in my gun if I uses a hotter ignition and a friend had a conversion kit for his that used small pistol primers

#7 ·
to my knowledge there is no 209 conversion for the cap lock,remington makes a hotter cap that will work for you.the other thing you may try is to try different nipples,i had to try others until i found one to work properly.i only use 777 in powder form,pellets will nor work on a side lock. old semperfi

#9 ·
I have a 209 conversion kit that I use in wet weather on my Hawken--it works very well. At the range I use the standard nipple and no. 11 caps, so I don't know how well the conversion nipple would work if used exclusively. It is a bit slower to reload as you have to unscrew the top to insert a new 209 primer. Paid about $22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.