The Firearms Forum banner

sidelock muzzleloader bullets

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  22shot 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 50 cal sidelock muzzleloader and I am wanting to know what type of bullets should I use. its a 1in66 twist

#2 · (Edited)
may i ask how old it is ? 1 in 66 is a oldish twist rate and i worry about old guns being fired

if the things ok and not that old ,

.50 cal patch ball ( what i buy if i buy) but not sure of size , i cast a slug with a tail thats .508 unpatched and .495 balls for my patches or some of the newer sabot projectiles should do you nicely

#5 ·
50 cal, .490 patched round ball. 1 in 66 twist is the ideal twist for round ball.

#8 ·
I've got a 1:66 on my old T/C Renegade. It shoots round ball amazingly well, and T/C's maxi balls a biy less accurately. I'm not sure what the twist is on the factory barrels, but the original shoots conicals very well. The 1:66 is a Green Mountain barrel.

#9 · (Edited)
remmington1990

Everybody has their "pet" load for their cap locks and flints; this is mine.

No patch; hollow base expands knurled cicumference into rifleing giving the ultimate in directional stability.

(Can't shoot these at my BP club meets; they "group" better than the patched ball; all things being equal.)

I've shot these out of my .50's; the TC Hawkens with the factory "target sights" being the best combo.

That 90gr. load set you back a step or two; buffalochip??

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.