SIG 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Dec 7, 2003.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Read in G&A that SIG is going to make a 1911. Anyone heard anything about this?

I had a West German 220 for years, wish I never got rid of it. It was a DA/SA, but it was still a serious shooter. If they can make a 1911 of similar quality - they'll be a force to recon with.
  2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Interesting ... I've always liked Sigs :p
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

hmmmm a 1911 with a de-cocking lever ,intresting

i hope they do better than S&W did with their version ,although i do like smiths fishscale serations
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

As I understand it, it will be a standard 1911 SA design - no decocker.

SIG does great stuff - from fighter jets, to Printers, to guns. (Blaser is part of SIG - you can see some of the similarities in the 202 and the R93's barrel fluting)

My 220 was awesome. I still remember going to a shooting school down here and doing some "long range work" at the 25 yd line. (It was a novice class, and you had to start there before taking other advanced classes...) Anyway, the instructor was walking down the line behind us, stopped at my firing point, paused, and mentioned "hey, you can use the rest of the target - they're free" as I was making one big hole downrange.

I'll have another one day - look for the front sights with no dovetail - that's a quick way to ID one that was made across the pond.
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

45 ,i was making a joke about the de-cocker ,i look forward to seeing them
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

oops - sorry - humor mode, on.
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, I guess John Moses Browning got it right the first time!

A hundred years later, and everybody and his brother is copying Browning's original design.

I wonder if, one hundred years from now, anybody will be copying these modern "Plastic Wonderguns".
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I don't think we'll ever really improve on John Moses' design or ideas!
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Just to rock the boat a skosh - I would say JMB had the right idea, but his design has been improved upon. If Colt's original 1911A1's are the benchmark, then there have been many improvements over time - kinda evolutionary. (Cut, Flared Ejection Ports, Beveled Mag Wells, Better Sights, Mods for concealed carry, mods for HP feeding, supported chambers, etc.) I guess one could argue about external extractors. Are these significant? Needless to say, Browning's design was a great foundation to build from.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

The 1911's a good thing to copy- it just works.
    If SIG builds it, it will be as good or better than the Kimber; that's my .02 worth.
    As to the other comments, consider: A Harley with $5k of chrome hung on, is still Just a Harley.
    The sights, etc for the Colt/ JMB pistol just make it MORE, without ever compromising a(n) uniquely functional and reliable design.
    Here's a question: The stuff gets deep, and you can only have ONE handgun, no spare parts. To what weapon would YOU trust your life??
    Admittedly, we are on the 1911 forum, but , if somebody knows how to split this post and put it elsewhere, feel free.
    My vote, for the only candidate, goes to the 1911 in any flavor. I don't think even the Chinese can F*** it up.
    Terry
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Same vote - plain jane 1911 with functional mods but no bells and whistles....+ lots of Wilson mags.....
  12. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

Since Logansdad has left this forum, I will fill in for him here:

Oh yeah? What about Glocks?!? Glock doesn't make a 1911, so there!

Ok, it's somebody elses turn next time. :D
  13. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK, Hydra Shok......ya just couldn't resist stirring the stuff, could ya! :D

I still wonder if, one hundred years from now, anybody will be copying these modern "Plastic Wonderguns".
  14. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

X, Will only be laser (ray) guns out of plastic by then! Don't ya think?
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

Don't know Logan'sdad, but I think I would like to meet him.
    The Glock line shoots almost too well to have been built, as they look and feel, in a toy store. And that's the problem, for me: as well as they shoot and function, if they only LOOKED and FELT like a real pistol, I'd probably own several.
    But, they don't, IMHO. Train as you fight; you fight as you train- I've heard that , somewhere, a lot. And it's true- your muscles, properly trained,(1,000-1,500 reps), can react faster than the brain can.
    Being an old guy, it's more work now than it was then, to learn new motor skills. Having run the 1911 in it's various persuasions for nearly 40 years, if I'm gonna switch, it must be to a gun that at least feels like a gun; Glock doesn't make the cut.
    Hell, I have trouble with the triggers on J-frame Smiths; they, with their coil mainsprings, just don't feel like a K-frame's flat spring action, 'tho this may be splitting hairs.
    Fact remains, we fight as we train, and when the s**t gets deep, I want a gun that needs no introduction; one that , when you close your hand around it, introduces itself.
    If JMB is a dated design, OK. Why, then, do the LAPD, the FBI, the SOCOM troopers, et al, consider it the GO-TO design???
    In two words--- IT (F*****G) WORKS!
    Maybe that's two, maybe three, but the message is inescapable,in that the three best funded(read this-price is no object) agencies, at the local, Federal, and International levels of dispute resolution, all choose the same design, albeit with different accessories, to be in their hands when they are first thru the door.
    If this is unclear, please advise.
  16. elber

elber New Member

Anyone have any word on when a fellow can get his paws on SIG's 1911?

Also, any worries about buying this gun in it's first year of production?

-elber
  17. stash247

stash247 New Member

No word here on availability, but I sure wouldn't worry about anything SIG builds, as far as function or reliability, as all I have seen could use the Timex slogan, and honestly.
  18. ACC

ACC New Member

I shot one last month at a SIG day event at a local gun range we have here in NH. Has a rail for a light under the dust cover,trigger was ok,sights were marginal,ran some pmp hard ball through it and it functioned well,felt good in the hand,but I like my Para better
  19. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member