sig 220

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by senior, Sep 21, 2006.

1. senior

senior New Member

just bought a used but lightly fired 1995 sig p220, bore is perfect and no marks of any kind in side or out. decided to have slide and barrel hardchromed and turned out beautiful. not wanting to sell but wanted an idea as to worth and ask on another site, was told i virtually ruined any chance of getting more than roughly $400.00 by hard chroming it, do u agree with this statement? thanks, by the way serial nuber is: G238XXX, ALSO slide is made in germany also
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

There's actually a slight premium for the factory two-tone model (nickle slide)......however, since your's is chrome and aftermarket, yeah, I've got to agree with the "about $400" price.

However, since the P220 doesn't really fall into the "collectable" category, you've still got a very nice shooter.....so, just shoot it and enjoy it! :)
  3. senior

senior New Member

xracer thanks for the observation, i do agree its a sweet shooter and one i plan on holding onto. Perhaps i shouldn't have chromed it, but bluing on the slide was slightly worn and to hard to keep nice looking, besides like you said, i sure plan on enjoying it for i hope years to come! Again, thanks for evaluation!
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

There are those who just can't wait to put their "personal touches" on a firearm. These alterations range from useful to harmful, and from handsome to downright ugly. Unless a pistol has been worked over by a world famous pistolsmith (with his signature applied to the work), in general the marketability of a reworked gun is very often reduced. There is a large segment of the gun fraternity who will have nothing to do with firearms which are not in original condition.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hey, if this were an historic, or even a collector, firearm, I'd agree with the above.......but for a newer gun, or even an old "shooter", customize or change it any way you want. It's your gun, and you're the only one you have to please.

I only own one "real" collectable handgun....an all-original M1911 made in 1918. I won't, and wouldn't, change a single thing on it.

Most of my many other handguns have been "personalized" in one way or another.....aftermarket grips, adjustable sights, trigger jobs, etc. I figure I'm just making them more comfortable, accurate, and fun to shoot.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Personalizing is great...........if you think you are going to keep that gun forever. But if you have any thoughts of just using if for a while then selling it, you are making your future sale a lot harder (or cheaper).
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They way I look at it is if I am planing on keepin it in the family for generations I won't touch it