Sig 239 Help me!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by patrol, Apr 22, 2008.

1. patrol

patrol New Member

Hey guys, I love this new Sig P239 I got, but I should have gotten the DAK model, I carry IWB Holster and should have paid more attention to the hammer on this pistol but i had to grab it up because a guy had it new for 500bucks. The problem I have like with my P220 is the hammer bites into my body when i carry IWB..To the point it truely sucks...I thought of filing down the knub on the hammer to make it flush with my drimmel but Im not sure..The DAK model has the hammer i need...any suggestions would be great, I called Sig and they told me basically they had no other hammers and I couldn't put the DAK hammer only on my standard model but i'd have to pay the money and get the whole thing converted to DAK...I knew there was a reason I liked my hammerless striker fired better...please suggestions
  2. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

See if you can't find a custom gunsmith (or if you know enough to plan it out yourself any metal shop/finishing shop) to make a custom hammer. I don't know sigs so maybe it isn't possible but just a thought.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Have you thought about another brand or style of holster ?? Some are more comfortable than others.
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

+1

That's probably a better shot to start with.
  5. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

It's called "bobbing the hammer" and a good smith can do the work.

If you want, just mark where you would want the hammer to be cut while its ON the gun, then take it off and use your dremel tool and cut it down, then grind it smooth. It's been done on some Sigs I've seem in Combat Handguns and Guns & Ammo.

I have 2 sigs and I carry them both. The hammer isn't what gets me, it's always the beaver tail. lol
  6. patrol

patrol New Member

Im going to sew a piece or flap or padding on my holster that sets on the hammer but loose so it won't hinder presentation. I can't believe more people dont complain about the "bite" of the sigs hammers on their bodies on IWB Holster carry. Thanks for all your tips guys.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've never carried my Sig IWB, but it's not a self defense gun anyway (it's the .22lr Mosquito). I think I will go stick in in the side of my jeans for a few minutes, though, and see if I get what you mean, Patrol.

I've been looking at the P229 for a while, but if it bites like you're saying, I probably will go with the DAK model (which I've been considering anyway).
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I gotta go with Shooter on the holster....a holster design can make or break carrying almost any weapon.
  9. BillP

BillP New Member

I would take a crack at bobbing the hammer spur. Just be sure you can get a replacement because it is possible that you may have ignition problems with a lighter weight hammer. Even if that happens, I would try adding a little weight back with an arc welder in a more friendly shape before I gave up and just ordered a replacement. Whatever you do watch out you don't overheat the hammer. Do not mess with the spring to try and make up for a too light hammer.
  10. azsigman

azsigman New Member

The factory can, I believe, change the DA/SA to the DAK system. Checkwith them and have it done right. Please don't Bubba up a great pistol.
  11. Mac's!

Mac's! New Member

A simple rule of thumb when contemplating cutting metal on a firearm is to cut on the cheapest part first. I carry a P239 in an inside-the-waistband holster and yes; The hammer and beavertail both bite my fat roll. I thought about cutting the hammer down but decided that a new holster would be a better idea. My old holster fit very well and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, a little flap of leather and a trip to the boot repair shop and I now have a comfy concealed carry holster for my Sig P239.

At least it doesn't bite my fat roll anymore. Now if I could just figure out a way to keep it from pinching assorted important body parts at the other end of the holster when I sit down! Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
  12. patrol

patrol New Member

Thats funny, bubba up..Im gonna use that term..I'll take a whack at it! No I think I'll just get the wife to sew on a piece of seude flap to set on all my guns with hammer, just sew it on one side so it doesnt get in the way upon pulling it out but rest on the sharp part of some hammers. The thing that bites on both my sig P239 and my P220 isnt the tip of the hammer but the actual underneath curved part, its like a razor! If anybody has a sig take your finger and run it down section just below the tip of the hammer on the inside portion and you will see what I mean. Im not gonna bubba it though, I knew this was an issue though before I got it but I couldnt pass on a brand new P239 for only 500bucks. I talked to Sig they basically told me it would be just under 300 to send it in and make it a DAK then send it back, so I'll go with the 40cent piece of suede then it will also help with others that bite my side. thanks guys
  13. BillP

BillP New Member

Some of us just can't help trying to make a good thing better, just call me "Bubba". :D You should see what we do with 10/22s. :eek:
  14. PeteMoss

PeteMoss New Member

I know this is probably late, but for my P239 I purchased an IWB holster from Kramer Leather. It is an excellent horsehide molded holster and has a thick stiff piece that blocks the hammer area from contacting the skin.
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

When some thug is about to put a .45 slug into your brain pan and your pistol won't go BANG because the hammer has been lightened and does not have the weight to cause a proper primer strike, we won't call you "Bubba", we'll just call you dead.

A 10/22 is one thing, a carry or duty weapon is a whole different matter.

Art
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008