Sig 716 flash suppresor

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by crazy_ol_grunt, Oct 21, 2012.

1. crazy_ol_grunt

crazy_ol_grunt New Member

I just wanted to ask he forum before I did something regret. I know DPMS has some of their flah suppressors perm. n the barrel to keep them from becoming a SBR, and if you try to remove the birdcage it will destroy the threading. I was wondering about replacin my flash suppressor on my new Sig 716 if it will bring up any problems, or if I should just be able to switch tem out?
    Thank everyone ahead of time for your imput!
  2. Skipper

Skipper Member

According to Sig:

The flash suppressor if applicable is screwed onto the muzzle end of the barrel via 5/8 x 24 TPI thread pattern
  3. crazy_ol_grunt

Yes, but just want to make sure tey are not like DPMS, and put a pin in itthat can dstroy the threads
  4. crazy_ol_grunt

also I apologize for my spelling, this keyboard is terrible
  5. CloserangeReaper

CloserangeReaper New Member

How long is your barrel, grunt?

Btw, DPMS only does that on barrels that are shorter than 16". That way no numnuts removes the flash hider and makes it an illegal weapon accidentally. Btw I've seen a few removed and the threads were fine, if they were threaded to begin with.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Dpms only pins barrels that would be below 16 wo a flash hider per atf rules. if it is below wo then grind the old flash hider down were the pin is. eventually it will fall or rock out. the new flash hider mist be pinned and welded in.
  7. crazy_ol_grunt

It's he standard 16" barrel that comes with the rifle, but I am not sure if that is including the brid cage or not
  8. crazy_ol_grunt

once again this is a Sig 716, but I thought it would be best to ask around first before making a very expensive "oops"
  9. CloserangeReaper

CloserangeReaper New Member

If the flash hider has flat spots, take an adjustable wrench and turn it off. Should be fairly tight but not tight enough that you can't turn it off. Thread pattern is 5/8-24 if I remember correctly. I just built a 300 blackout and it takes the same size flash hider.

In fact, If you want, I've got a muzzle brake (Daniel defense Mitigator) that ill sell to you. I change it out and don't need it right now. Shoot me a pm if interested.
  10. crazy_ol_grunt

Already got the one I want, just heard the thing about the pinned flash hiders and wanted to make sure. Thank you again everyone for your input :)
  11. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Muzzle devices (flash hiders, brakes) are "pinned" on 14.5" inch barrels only so that the overall length remains 16".

Barrels less than 16" require a tax stamp.

There is no reason to pin muzzle devices on barrels less than 14.5".

I think...maybe, some states require them to be non removable on all barrel lengths, but I don't know for sure. I don't really follow the laws of other states.

It is best to clamp the barrel in a vise with wood blocks to protect it if the flash hider doesn't turn off easy. If it's on there tight you can do damage.

Also check to see if Sig uses anything to lock it on the threads such as Lok-Tite (use heat) or Rockset (soak in water) to loosen.