Sig Mosquito vs. Walther P22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Dino944, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Dino944

Dino944 New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm getting back into shooting after a long absence. My wife says she would like to go also, so we are looking at .22s for her. My first thought was to get a revolver (ease of use and cleaning). However, the guy at the gun shop said, most .22 revolvers start at around $600 which might be a lot to spend if she loses interest after a short time. So he showed us a Sig Mosquito and a Walther P22. Both seemed to be a good size for her. Although, I think she liked that the Walther was lighter in weight. Any one have experience with either of these pistols? Is one better made, more rugged, or any pros/cons to either gun that would make you chose one over the other?

Also if you have other suggestions for .22s for her to consider let me know.

Thanks and best regards,
    Dino
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Mosquitos are designed to use the CCI mini mag 22 so thats the downfall of the Sig. Your limited on what ammo you can use. The Walther will generally run just about anything except some really cheepo brands. Also there are plenty of 22 revolvers under 600, he just doesn't carry them. Don't be afraid of used 22 revolvers. Rossi, taurus, and yes even smith and wesson (used) all have revolvers under 600. Classic switch a roo on the sales guy. Aint got what cha looking for so they discourage you then show you what they want to sell you. A 22 revolver is going to be more reliable than the Sig or the Walther. If you want to discourage your wife in shooting, give her a gun that is prone to malfunctioning more.
    Double D can help you find something for sure. Maybe he'll jump in.
  3. steve666

steve666 New Member

I have a P22 and my shooting buddy has a Mosquito so we've shot both. I like my P22 best and he likes his Mosquito. They are both nice little plinkers. I got the Special Edition set with both barrels and the slide extension so I think I have a little more versatility.
  4. Dino944

Dino944 New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice on the Sig and Walther. I definitely don't want my wife to be discourage with a pistol that has lots of problems. I want her to have something reliable and that she will have fun with. So, I'm going to take the Sig off the list of potential pistols. I guess we will take another look at the P22 and see what other .22s are available. This dealer is probably one of the larger ones in our state and they have a pretty wide selection. I think my wife liked how light the P22 felt.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Dino
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've owned both the SIG and the Walther. I preferred the SIG, but my wife wanted the Walther, so now we just have the Walther. :(

The SIG functioned 100% with CCI Mini Mags and 98% or better with Remington Golden Bullets. It functioned around 5% with Federal bulk and around 25% with Winchester bulk.
    Our P22 has been 100% with CCI Mini Mags (these really are very good ammo), 98% with Winchester bulk. I haven't tried it yet with any others.

I personally would think that your wife may get more frustrated with a single-action revolver than with an auto that has one FTE per 10 magazines. Those revolvers can be very, very slow to load, and my wife isn't particularly patient. If your wife is more patient than mine, then the revolver may be the way to go.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 New Member

I personally liked the way the Sig felt, more than the Walther but its going to be her gun so it has to be what she prefers. She thought the Sig felt too heavy. Also, it seems more people say the Walther is less fussy about what brands of ammo it will take. As for the revolver idea, I don't think my wife will be bothered with reloading a revolver seeming slow, but its something to consider.

Thanks and best regards,
    Dino
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, sorry I just saw this thread. I bought my wife the walther p22 and she loves it. I have shot the sig and it was ok, but I prefer the feel of the p22. You can also get a 22 revolver for the same price range. So, I looked up a few prices for you. I can sell you these guns for:
    sig mosquito 323.00 plus shipping
    walther p22 319.00 plus shipping
    taurus 94 22 revolver 315.00 plus shipping
    Shipping will vary but is normally around 12-18 dollars. Let me know if I can help.
  8. Dino944

Dino944 New Member

Hi Double D,

Thanks for the suggestions and opinion on the Sig & Walther. I'm in the research stage so far and I have to save up some fun money since I just spent some on a Colt .45 for myself. But I will keep you in mind when we start looking more seriously for my wife.

Thanks again.
    Best regards,
    Dino
  9. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

I own the sig-msqto and even though I have put the reducer spring IT ONLY LIKE HIGHER ENDED .22 AMMO but not to say out of this world just not the bulk wally world stuff. I would look into the RUGER if you will not double this gun as a conceal carry. Its longer and more or less burdensome if you tried to carry. Some will say better off not carrying a .22 but dumping 10 or more round in your attacker is not shooting a rubberband at him.
  10. Dino944

Dino944 New Member

Nah, I don't think either of us would use the .22 for carry purposes. I will have to check Ruger's website. I think I quickly skimmed the site, but I must have missed whatever they were offering as a .22. I did look at Beretta's website and they had 2 sort of space age looking .22s available at just under $400, I think called Neos? Anyone tried one?

Thanks again guys.
    Best regards,
    Dino
  11. Double D

The ruger mark 3 is one of the best pistols out there in my opinion. Some people have a hard time with re-assemblely, but they are gret shooting guns. I have a couple versions in stock. The tapered barrel is 269.00 and the bull barrel 22/45 version is 259.00.
  12. Dino944

Dino944 New Member

Did a quick search and answered my question on Berettas.

Hi Double D. I'll have to take a look online and read up on the Ruger. Although, if the reassembly is a pain to deal with, then it might not be the gun for us. I know one guy on another sight said he liked his Ruger but that he practically needed a rubber mallet to get the thing back together.

Thanks and best regards,
    Dino
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome Dino ! If thats what the guy at the LGS tells ya, then find another shop; 22 revolvers are most always cheaper than a semi-auto. Look for a Heritage, you can find them new for under $160, sometimes on sale for $110-120 and they're good shooting guns. Nothing that is going to win any matches, but great fun at a good entry price.
  14. Double D

I have the heritage convertable revolvers in stock for 189.00. They will shoot 22lr & 22mag. But, they are single action which means you have to pull the hammer back each time.
  15. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Hi, Dino944 and welcome to TFF.
    If you're still wondering, I own a Beretta Neos. It's a good little shooter, though the grip is a tad bit small for my hand. Also, the thumb safety takes some getting used to. Maybe it will fit your wife's hand better.
    I'm sure I've put over a thousand rounds through it and it doesn't seem a bit fussy, though some ammo doesn't seem to be loaded very well. A couple rounds just went click.
    Mine has a 4 1/2" barrel and I'm sure you can get one with a 6". They also make a carbine kit for it, though I believe you might have seen it.
    Paid for my Neos $270 and change out the door. The carbine kit runs about the same price.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011