sig p220 and p226

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Cloudbreak
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 2:13:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All sig p220 and p226
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, here is my situation. I am looking to buy my first handgun. I am planning on being a cop after i graduate and will most likely start the academy about 7 months from now. The issued gun is a Beretta 92.

I have heard a LOT of good things about sigs and i *think* i have narrowed my decision down to the p220 .45 or the p226 in 9mm. I want to know what you guys would do in my situation. I am scared to buy the 45 now and get really comfortable with it and then have to switch to 9mm and qualify with that in the academy. So for that reason i think maybe the 226 is the best way to go. What do you think? Do you think its dumb to buy anything right now because i'll get the issued one in 7 months? Also i am not set on these two models, although i am pretty sure that i want a Sig.

PS - Is there any reason not to get a stainless if price is not an issue. I know they cost more, but is there anything worse about them? I dont see people carrying guns, but the guys at the few local shootings ranges usually dont have stainless on their hip, any reason for that?
    Shreddin
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=25386

Edited by: Cloudbreak at: 11/5/02 2:46:55 am

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/9/02 2:24:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: sig p220 and p226
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Once you graduate will they let you carry a Sig? or do you have to carry the Beretta?

Cloudbreak
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/9/02 2:39:31 pm)
    can't carry the sig on duty, but not sure about off duty.
    Shreddin

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 1:24:50 am)
    I have both the 226 and 220. So I am prejudice for both those pieces. I can not put up any argument for NOT buying either one (except) when you are on duty, your life may depend on your familiarity with what you are carrying. If you get used to another handgun, and then have to switch…?? If you do not have any problem with changing handguns, then go ahead and buy the Sig in the same caliber you will be using on duty. Here’s hoping that you will never have to use your duty gun, except at the range.

Cloudbreak
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 10:37:17 am)
    I'm with ya on that one Pick.
    Shreddin

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 1:33:45 pm)
    FWIW, there's a fairly good write-up in this month's edition of Guns & Ammo on SIGARMS. They discuss the models you mentioned. They also said a version of the P226 was just approved for use by NYPD, so there may be hope for you yet.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Cloudbreak
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 5:01:56 pm)
    I'll have to check that out. If it's good enough for New York, it should be good enough for Los Angeles!
    Shreddin

sig230
    (11/22/02 7:50:52 pm)
    Which one to get first!

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (11/23/02 8:00:45 am)
    sig230, welcome to the forum.

Go out on a limb and buy both.

docreg
    (1/10/03 1:15:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del sig p220 and p226
    I own both. My P220 is Stainless, and the P226 is Two Tone Stainless/Black (police model).

Absolutely NO reason to NOT buy either one in stainless, except for short term cost. Since the SIG is pricey to start with, the marginal % increase in cost by getting stainless is not that bad. Long term durability of stainless is a MAJOR plus point.

I LOVE them BOTH. My favorite is the P220, because I am partial to .45 ACP, because of it's proven stopping power.

My SIG P220 is the sweetest shooting auto pistol I have EVER shot. Cost me $850 in stainless, and I would not sell it for 5 times the price!!

Doc Reg