Sig P220 fails to feed

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Topkat, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Topkat

Topkat New Member

HI
    I have a Sig P220 .45. it has thousands of rounds thru it. I recently sent it to the factory to be refurbished. They completely restored it to factory specs.
    I now have a few hundred rounds thru it. While shooting IDPA, with home loads, one round on every single mag, (and I have 5 different mags) failed to feed all day long.(had to rack the slide to fix)
    I took the gun apart and thouroughly sprayed EVERYTHING out.......off to the range.........with 5 mags with 8 rds each........first 2 mags had 1 FTF......next 3 worked perfect. not doing a thing to gun or mags, the following day ...5 more mags of 8 each worked flawlessly.....
    All i can figure is that there was a chunk of dirt or something that finally broke free.
    any ideas?
    thanks as usual
    Tk
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

One thing that Sig probably did was replace the extractor spring and the extractor. The extractor may be causing the feed problem bc with being on a slightly worn slide, the engagment of the extractor is excessive and actually blocking the rim of the brass and not allowing it to fully feed. The new spring dosent help the issue either.
  3. Topkat

Topkat New Member

what can I do about it?
    Is the gun shot?
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

No its not toast. Call sig and tell them whats going on. If they do nothing find a smith that knows sigs. Its not a hard fix. I support about 10 of them on a range program, every now and then they act stupid like that
  5. Topkat

Topkat New Member

I did call Sig and they suggested trying different ammo.(duh)
    I went out and fired 100 rds of Magtec 230.gr .45 ACP without a single feed problem.
    The powder id been using smells funky and under a glass seems to have 'rustlike' patches........
    OK........i purchased a 4lb can of 700X......and loaded up 24 rds with 3.9 gr
    (3.6 is starting load and 4.9 is Max)
    going to the range I fired my 24 rds and had 8 FTF's.......the recoil was even worse than my other loads.
    One reader mentioned my new main spring. I think this is the problem.
    cant find my old 1 :(
    I loaded 24 rds last night with 4.5gr of 700 X and will try again tonight
    thanks
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Your feed problem may be stemming from your heavy recoil loads. The heavy recoil is causing your grip to release and get away from you. All the energy then is lost in your wrist and arm movement and not staying within the action of the gun. Your new loads, how do they compare the magtec (magtec tends to be a little hotter than most standard factory loads)
  7. Topkat

Topkat New Member

im not limp wristing it . lol i went from 3.9 gr or 700X to 4.5 gr and all is well now ty