Sig P220

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Plink N' Hunt, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Plink N' Hunt

Plink N' Hunt New Member

Hi all,

Nice place you have here. I’m new to this forum but not to firearms. For over twenty years my Browning High Power has been a good reliable old friend, but I think it’s high time I start looking for something new. What is the consensus of the SIG P220? This may replace the Browning for CCW use as well as a little fun at the range. I like the idea of a double action in a 45ACP. Don’t want to spend more then a grand. Any others with double action I should be looking at? Thanks!
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a sig 220 equinox carry pistol for sale in my shop. It is brand new. If your not familiar with the equinox, read up on them. They are nice pistols. I would sell mine for 889.00 delivered. That is barely over dealer cost. You can see it in the buy / sell forum on page 2. Welcome to the forum.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Welcome! From what I hear the Sigs are good guns. My area of experience is in 1911s however.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Plink! The Sig P-220 is a great gun. Double D has a great price on it. I paid more for mine because of the CT laser grips. They are almost as good as a nice 1911!:D

Attached Files:

5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

I switch hit carrying between a P220 and an HK USP.
    Like both, trust my life to either one.
  6. Python

Python Former Guest

A Sig P220 is a great gun, can't say anything negative about them. However I did trade mine in on an XDM if that tells you anything. ;)
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Plink N' Hunt:

The SIG P220 is an older design. For its day it used an innovative design. Todays P220 has been updated a bit but it is still probably the most reliable 45ACP pistol you can buy. It feeds almost any ammo, has a very tight lockup, and that results in superb accuracy. The gun is also very durable. It is all metal, aluminum frame and steel slide.... NO plastics except the grip panels. Its biggest drawback over the years has been its price but all the other guns seem to have arrived nearer to its price level.

I've had mine for about 20 years and it resides with several other 45ACP guns including 1911's, a Witness, and a CZ97B. It is by far my favorite 45.

LDBennett
  8. Double D

Please dont mistake the 220 with the 220 equinox. The basic 220 is much less expensive than the equinox. Look them up. I can sell a 220 for in the 7s
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

The Beretta PX4 Storm in .45acp is a nice pistol. The price is around
    $600. There are several models, depending on whether you want
    single/double action, double action only, etc and there is the Glock and
    Springfield XD. I have a Springfield XDM in .45 acp that holds 14 rounds
    total. There are lots of choices.
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

While there are less expensive guns on the market, most are plastic. Steel and aluminum are forever or will last at least a couple of generations. Nothing plastic last forever. I understand that plastics never stop curing and the result is that eventually they become brittle. While a plastic gun MAY last your lifetime it may not last even that long (??). I intend to pass my guns to my family. If they are all steel or aluminum I know they too will get a lifetime of shooting with then.

For a 45ACP all metal gun the choices are not limited. There are: Sig P220 series, CZ97B, EAA Witness, and many 1911's. There are others that I can not think of at this time. All metal guns weigh enough that the recoil from 45ACP is not abusive. Get one of the wonder plastic light guns and shooting will be no fun at all. I have all of the above 45ACP all metal guns but I particularly like my Browning marked Sig P220.

LDBennett
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

The Sig ought to do you good. They are some good guns. I carry the 226DAK at home and work. It's a DAO. It's a good gun. Only comes in a .40 though...
  12. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Just looked up some reviews on the Equinox. She is a beauty and the owners raved about it. Comparing Double D's price thats a real bargain.........Man I don't need another .45 right now.:D
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now, you know that you can never have too many!;)
  14. Double D

I am serious about the price being just over dealer cost.
  15. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I've never shot, carried, or owned a SIG pistol. But I'll never forget reading an interview just a couple of years ago with one of the leading, highly-regarded, big-name pistol smiths (whose leading, highly-regarded big name escapes me right now, of course) who said that SIG was the only, the ONLY brand of pistol that had NEVER :eek: been in his shop for a repair. Hard to argue with that.