1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Sig P220

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Plink N' Hunt, Apr 15, 2011.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Everyone NEEDS another .45, it's just a matter of if we can afford it or not and how bad we're going to get our butt chewed by the domestic supervisor..... :D

I have 4 Sigs in the safe at the moment; anytime I can add to that number; I have no doubt that it will be a gun that I can depend on.
  2. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 Member

I guess I'm a Sig "true" believer. My only .45ACP is a 220. The safe also has a P6 (ramp milled to P225 standard), a P228 (9mm) and P229 (.40S&W) -- both with CTs and used daily for CCW.
  3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned a couple of P220s and they are great guns - but I tend to trade them off for others as in .45 I prefer a 1911 (I do have 2 Sig 1911s). My P228 9mm and my P229 in .40 are both great shooters and I've also carried them some. My son recently "borrowed" my P239 to use as his carry gun and it's great as well. I like the classic alloy framed Sigs, the only platform I like better is the 1911. This is a German P220 that I just traded away last week...

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. 452 shooter

452 shooter New Member

I owned a P220 in the 1990s and it was easily the most accurate out of the box semi-auto centerfire pistol I have ever shot. And the reliability was near flawless - it would even reliably feed the 185gr LSWC used for bullsye target!

The only gripe I had was with the grips which did not fit me well with the stock plastics , a switch to Hogues improved things for me.

I ended up trading it later when cash was short for a Sako Finnfire. I do miss that P220!
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Anyone have a SIG 1911? I know it's a completely different animal from the rest of the SIG family of pistols. They're obviously trying to get a slice of the huge 1911 market. Just wondering how they stack up against the other top 1911s, and if SIG was able to bring their quality and reliability into the 1911 design. I see an external extractor (like Para) but there's only so much room in that gun to try to make things better (different).
  6. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

[I .45, M-9 Pair.jpg [/I]

I love my 220. It is a great shooter!!
  7. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Nice picture. Did you embroider the flowers just for this picture, or was that a different project?:D

Just kidding!

What is the 220 leaning against? I thought it was coral, but the red area looks like red amethyst crystal...
  8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have 2 of them actually, a Tac Ops and a Carry Nitron. Both are extremely smooth and function perfectly with any ammo I've tried - FMJ & JHP. From what I've read the earlier models had occasional problems but the later built models are rock solid. Both of mine were made in the Fall of 2010. Finding holsters can be a challenge as the slide cross-section is shaped a bit differently than the standard. I'm very happy with mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Quote by LD:
    Well said and not repeated often enough. Well maintained that Sig will still be going strong a 100 years from now.
  10. jpmccr

jpmccr Member

Buck, the photo was taken on the dining table while the wife was out. And it is coral (Antler Coral I think). I found it on a dive in the Red Sea when I was an active participant of the Great Saudi Summer Tour 90-91 (aka Operation DESERT SHIELD/STORM). It was laying in about 40 feet of the clearest, warmest water I have ever dove in.
  11. The Count

The Count New Member

Re: Sig P220 Elite Dark

Just got this gun a couple of weeks ago. I have a boatload of guns: Glocks, CZ, SAA, you name it. Yesterday I added a SIG 226 Elite Platinum to my collection. My 2 cents worth: The Sig 220 and 226 are just about the best overall automatic pistols I know of. They blow both my Glocks (30SF and 19) away in respect to accuracy, ergonomics and aesthetics. The Elites (at least the 2 I have) come with night sights and slim aluminum grips. The only gun that comes close to the SIGs is my CZ SP01 Tactical, which is kinda ugly, but a fantastic shooter for the price.

[​IMG]
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum like the pictures with pistol on top of ammo good shot