SIg P238 thumb safety

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jboy, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Jboy

Jboy New Member

Looked at and handled a Sig P238 today and while I could easily sweep the thumb safety off with my thumb moving it up into safe with the side of my thumb was impossible. Could rearrange my hand or use my other hand to set the safety and make the pistol safe, but this is totally unacceptable.

Was it just a malfunctioning piece or is this typical of the P238? The clerk was unfamiliar with the piece and it apparently was the only one they had.

I like the P238, but not at all if this is how the safety is. Have trouble believing Sig would design it this way.
  2. jrprich

jrprich New Member

My 238's safety works easily on and off with my thumb. Perhaps there was something wrong with the safety spring.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

The safetys on them are usually nice and easy to acuate. They do pull the hammer back slightly and one that is not lubricated can stick. I would look for another one and not be discouraged by the one you handled. They are a nice little gun
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have no problem with the safety on mine, either. When I first bought mine, I had trigger problems, though. Your safety problem could be a defect of some kind, I guess it can happen with a high priced Sig, too.