sig p238

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by soundguy, Nov 11, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

was in gander today waisting time waiting for the wife to drive into town, and happened by a sig p238 ( was the zombie limited edition ).

I'm a sig fan and love a 230 / 232

I also happen to be quite comfortable with the .380 as a self defense carry cartridge.

I'm a fan of 'pocket guns' like the keltec p32 and p3at.

my 2 carry guns are a 230 and p3at, depending upon weather. love the 230.. but it's a huge 380. that 238 looks like a nice way to get a sig in 380 about the size of the keltec.

any opinions on it.

it totally derailed my walther ppk thoght process i was having.. :)
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I had one and loved it as far as .380's go. It will out shoot anything in it's class except the Colts, it's on par/virtual twin of the Mustang. I shot my CCW course with it and out shot everything else on the range that day. I sold it due to several factors, the biggest being my need to trim down to just a few calibers and I don't need a single 380 to supply ammo for.
    If you like pocket guns and have more 380's, I would say go for it, you're going to love it.
  3. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

The Sig P238 is made under an agreement with Colt. The Sig is a Mustang. I carry the Colt Mustang Plus II .380.:)
  4. soundguy

yep.. i love sig

I love .380 ( have others to feed )

and love pocket guns.

looks liek this may be on my list to bring home one day. :)
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also have a P238 and love it. I should be getting my new Koa wood grips from Carl (Woodnut) any day now. I will post pictures when I get them on the gun!

I went to a local gun show yesterday and saw the zombie edition, I thought it was absolutely stupid to screw up a beautiful gun with the zombie crap.
  6. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

I have had a Sig P238 now for several years. I am very comfortable with a .380 as my 24/7 carry gun and the Sig. P238 is the best .380 I have ever owned. I have owned and carried the Colt Mustang and the Pony on and off for years.

I switched to the Sig. a few years ago because along came a day that I decided to change my carry ammo from Gold Dots to hotter Buffalo Bore Loads. The +P 100gn Hard Cast FN Solid and the +P 90gn JHP. When I ran a test with them in the Colts, two things began happening, upon firing the magazine would simply drop out of the guns. That would happen once about every three shots. I worked on it extensively but could not stop that from happening. The second thing, was a stove pipping issue that had never happened before with either gun. This may have been an issue requiring new springs bu I never addressed it.

The next day I purchased the Sig. P238 which I had seen in action several times at one of the ranges I go to. Went straight out onto the range as it came out of the box and ran several different kinds of +P ammo through it as well as both type of Buffalo Bore ammo I now carry. There was not one problem of any kind, none!!!

I am very confident in the ability of my Sig. and carry it always with an extended Sig. 7 round mag. and 1 in the tube.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. soundguy

i don't mind the zombie stuff.. think it's kinda funny.

now.. I see hogue has some lime green 'zombie' grip pads. those.. I'm not a fan of.. but the small inlet green under acylic ones the p238 LE has.. I'm fine with.. ;)
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

There is no "agreement with Colt." No patents or trademarks were infringed.
  9. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I have a P238 and love it, it's my summer carry gun and I have roughly 900 rounds down the pipe without an issue. Mine has the hogue wrap around rubber grips and the extended mag. I don't think i'd like it as much without the extended mag as it allows me to get my whole hand on the gun. I only run FMJ ammo in mine for the little extra penetration, even in the summer.

The only sugestion I would have is stay away from the ones that don't have the 27A at the beginning of the serial number. IIRC they were the early models so you shouldn't have a problem there if your buying new.

I think you'd enjoy it if you like .380's, the thing absolutely fades away concieled and it's very accurate at self defence ranges for such a short barreled pistol, along with factory night sights, you can't go wrong.
  10. millrat

millrat Member

Love my 238. Probably my most often carried, just because it,s so darn easy to drop in a pocket for the late night store runs. I can't say much for the holster that comes with it though. Stripped it off my belt getting out of my sons jeep some how once, don't trust the holster now.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Come to think of it, once while traveling, I stopped at a rest area on the interstate to use the bathroom, and as I was walking out of the bathroom, I bumped into the door jamb and it knocked the holster off of my belt. I never really thought about it until I read your post. I just blamed it on the really thin Army issue web belts that I wear all the time.
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It sure don't look like any Colt Mustang I'ver seen:confused:
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There are a few slight differences, but mags are interchangeable. I'm not sure about any other parts though.
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I did not know that, but of course as I get older I 'm finding a lot of things I didn't know, or perhaps I knew it but forgot.:eek:
  15. soundguy

i like that the slide stays open allowing mag change and then thumb it closed and ready. many smaller pocket guns don't have the hold open.. or it is manual.. not auto.

nice feature.

feels like a smallrer verion of a larger gun.

I think i'm gonna love mine!