Sig Sauer vs Ruger in .40S&W

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by smlake, Nov 24, 2009.

1. smlake

smlake New Member

I presently own a Springfield XDm in .40S&W and am seriously thinking of buying a new .40 S&W pistol. (I also own a Ruger P85 MK11 and a Glock 17- both being 9mm). I would like input regarding the Ruger P944 in .40 S&W vs the Sig Sauer 226 or 229 in .40 S&W. I know the Ruger is much less expensive but is somewhat less accurate than the Sig. I am not interested in either concealed carry or shooting in competition. I do place some emphasis on accuracy but want a reliable gun also. I would appreciate any input from readers having experience with these guns. I ruled out the Glock since I wish to use mainly reloads and Glocks really are not compatible with reloads, though many people do so. I would also appreciate input regarding other .40 S&W pistols such as the CZ75 as to how they compare with the Ruger and/or the Sig Sauer. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and expertise.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bought an XD(m) in .40 and just did not like it. I still can't put my finger on what I did not like about it. It just did not feel right in my hand. I tried again with an XD in .357 Sig and again just did not like it.

I bought a S&W M&P in .40 from a friend a while back but have never fired it. He sold it to me because he was out of a job and needed cash. I let him borrow it back so he could have a carry weapon, so I don't really know enough about that one to recommend it or not. One thing I DO NOT like about it is the changes you have to go through to disassemble it.

I had a Beretta Model 96 (.40S&W) and really liked it but had to sell it. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Beretta to you. I have never owned a Ruger in .40S&W.

I do have a SIg P229 in .40 that I consider my most accurate semi-auto handgun. I don't think you can go wrong if you choose the Sig.
  3. Tango Victor

Tango Victor New Member

I have a SIG Pro .40 and a HK USP .40. I would recommend either. Both are totally reliable and far more accurate than I can shoot them. Both are fairly large guns and I have medium sized hands and I shoot them both well.
  4. like it all

like it all Member

I purchased a P944T (Ruger .40 S&W) in 2000. It is the economy model and still available. MANUAL SAFETY double action first round single action after that unless manually cocked.
    I have fired several thousand rounds of my own reloads with both jacketed and cast bullets. I have never experienced a stove pipe, jam, or any other malfunction with this pistol. While not a tack driver, nor will it win any beauty contests, It has been absolutely reliable. I have fired two steel plate matches with it , and it did what was expected without fail, I didn't win ,but I wasn't near last. Oh did I mention price?
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have owned a P94 in 40 before they started calling them P944's. I have owned it for 14 years and never had a failure of any kind with both factory and reloads. Mine is dead on at 25 years with a 155 gr bullet. It also has decent accuracy. It is a fairly large auto for CC but can be done. I guess it depends on how much you wish to spend as a SIG is a really decent weapon and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
  6. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I'd go Sig.Ireally like the way they fit my hand and also the take down lever make cleaning a dream.Also the decocking lever is a nice feature also.
  7. Sandman

Sandman Member

If money is not the primary concern, go with the Sig. It is much smoother, better looking, etc. That being said, my experience with Ruger autos is that they are a great value. Extremely reliable and tough (which the Sig is also), just not as nice to shoot.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

+1 (for the USP)

But, nothing can replace actually holding and shooting the weapons. Try and find buddies or a range with rentals if you can!

I have to ask, obviously price is not an overriding concern, if perfect accuracy is not a concern, and it is not for carry or competition- why is reliability one of your main concerns? If I had those priorities I would be buying whichever pistol I wanted the most. I chose the USP because it was a good fit between range toy and carry piece, accuracy and reliability- but if you had given me the cash and told me to buy whatever I wanted, it might not have been my first choice (if I already had my carry piece :D).

Maybe it is time to just have some fun, get that .44 magnum you have wanted since you saw it in the movies, or such :D.
  9. smlake

smlake New Member

Vladimir, you raised a really good question regarding reliability. I just do not like guns, cars, or other mechanical devices that break down often. I will sacrifice "image" and/or "gadgets" for reliability. Many posts here and on other sites deal with the time, money cost, and inconvenience of finding a reliable repair shop, shipping the gun, and getting it back. This can be a real annoyance. Some firearms are great until they break. You are correct that price is not an overriding concern and I assume the makes of guns I have mentioned are safe. Several writers indicate the Sig is smoother to shoot and is built to a somewhat higher quality level. Is the Sig more accurate than the Ruger? Thanks in advance for all the helpful comments.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Here is my 2 cents on the subject....
    I bought a Sig P220 a while back. In my opinion it was "rushed" and the quality suffered. The trigger is extremely gritty!

If you can get one made before the gun buying frenzy took place it will probably be better quality. Even at that i don't think sigs quality is as good as it was 10 years ago.

I have no experience with Ruger in 40sw but their semi autos are top notch in reliability!!!!!

The XD40 that i have is also reliable to a fault....

I dont recomend glocks in that caliber... but the other side of that coin is that i have talked with several people lately who claim they have never had a problem with theirs. Etc etc etc

Gn
  11. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

I'm one who's owned a G22 for nine years with ZERO problems.

It's the most used cop gun in the U.S. by far, and IMO it's a superb pistol.

For some reason I've developed a yen for a Ruger P91, the discontinued predecessor to the P94/P944.

Does anyone know why the P91 was dropped?
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I have to be blunt... I do not know why people use "The Government loves it" as a defense... personally the widespread government selection of the Glock makes it that much more of a terrifying thought... and that is only half sarcastic... :D

The government is very good at selection things in specific categories, they never select "the best option."

They select, the most expensive, the least expensive, the fanciest looking, the most widely selected by others, the one that will make them the most money, the one that will look the best, but never do they make the "best selection" :D.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Like I said you can't make a bad choice based on your criteria. Have you gone out and actually seen how each feels in the hand or better yet shot both? If not that would be the next logical step. The trigger on my P94 has a lot of take up and to some that feels strange and takes a little getting used to. I have never held a Sig but their reputation is sterling and they are made the next town over from me. I was a little surprised to hear Glocknut got a bad one which just proves it can happen.
  14. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I have a Sig P239 and a Sig P226 in 40 SW and they have been flawless performers.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I would venture to say that if the Government loves it, it is because they were the lowest bidder!!