1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

sighting in a .22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by john riley, Dec 11, 2006.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

was thinking anout putting a scope on my .22 it'll be primarily used on targets and small game, at what range should I zero the scope? and howmuch play will the give me in regards to shot placement ie: how hi can or low can I expect the shot to be at targets closer or further than zero?
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Depends on the range you will be doing most of your shooting at. In my experience the .22 LR is a 75 yard round for most hunting and zero mine at that range. No matter what range you zero for shoot at closer and longer ranges to see where the rounds impact for targets of opportunity.
    Also the ammo used will make a great difference in where the bullet hits so try to find one or two types/brands that you can use most often.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Most 22 scopes the parallax is fixed at 50 yrds. If you sight in for more or less you will be seeing double crosshairs.
    Of course the more expensive adjustable parallax (AO) allow you to correct this.

That will depend on the rifle and ammo. You can figure out the "hold over under" after a little range practice.
  4. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

a typical hi vel 22 round , zero'd at 100 yds, will be 2.5 to 3 inches high at 50 yds. so go from there. also check this site for some trajectory info;

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I would go with a 3-9x42 and zero it at 50 yards
  6. rocklocker2

rocklocker2 New Member

greeting ya'll.i just bought one of those romainian trainer rifles.gonna put a 4X32 scope on it for indoor target use.anyone else out there shoot one of these?
  7. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

At the cost of most .22 rifles it's easy to simply have one all set up and sighted in for one range and then another (or more) set up and sighted in for other ranges. In general, I'll sight in a plinker at 50 yrds. That'll allow shots well within any typical range I'll shoot that gun at. For more dedictaed target guns, I'll set at one rnage at not worry what it shoots at another distance.
  8. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

I would go with 50 yards also.
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

.22 Rifle Bullseye is shot @ 50 yds:)
  10. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

well, with the romy trainer, your in luck. it has the 3 leaf rear site, one of which is 50 yds. so find out what ammo is 'on' with that leaf , and it should be on , with the other leafs as well.
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

50 yards here too. :)
  12. octorarocruiser

octorarocruiser New Member

I hunt squirrels and I'm not a champion shot so I sight my .22 in at 40 yds. I won't shoot at a squirrel unless I feel confident that I will hit him in the head or shoulder. Gut shooting ruins the meat even if you manage to find the little fellow. I'm from the old school where and I eat what I kill and I don't want to eat a whole bunch of squirrel so why take long shots?

My best recommendation is to spend some time determining which load your barrel does best with. Some .22's really favor one load over the other.

Anybody got any good new recipes for squirrel? I've got 4 left in the freezer and can't get interested in thawing them.
  13. wjh2657

wjh2657 New Member

With most of my rifles, the standard 59 yard Far Zero keeps everything within the 2" kill circle (PBR (1" radius)from muzzle out to about 65 yards if I do my job when taking the shot. I might add as a caveat , I only shoot CCI MiniMags, so the ammo is standardized. I have good glass on all of my rifles, RF and CF, but I never touch the dials after zeroing. I use PBR (Point Blank Range) for hunting and work my way into range and quarter the wind. My experience has been that you don't have time to be doing math when your target is moving around.
    BTW this worked for 3 years in the jungles of a country we weren't supposed to be in! Corps called it Battle Sights.