Sighting In a Pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by NewfGuy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. NewfGuy

NewfGuy New Member

What's the best way to sight in a new pistol. Right now, the safest place to stand when I'm shooting is right in front of me! :rolleyes:

Actually, it wasn't too bad for my first try. I stuck a paper plate to a 4X4 post and shot from 15 paces. Right to left, I'm not bad. I hit the post 15 out of 20 times, but I'm shooting low. What do I need to do. Thanks
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Newf,

Begin at 7 paces maximum.

Proper sight picture is achieved as illustrated in the graphic included with this post.

The front sight on the hand gun is your primary focus - the rear sight blurs and the target blurs as well. Remember - your eyes should focus on the FRONT sight.

Align just as in the graphic, and squeeeeeeze that trigger.

Hope that helps, and happy shooting.

Attached Files:

3. NewfGuy

NewfGuy New Member

Thanks. That DOES help. Once I get comfortable with shooting it, should I try to adjust the sights? The rear sight is adjustable in all directions.
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Your point of impact may change with different weight bullets also.
    Practice, practice, practice!
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

You didn't say what caliber your pistol is. If it should be a larger caliber, you may be having a tendency to anticipate the recoil, by jerking the trigger, which usually forces the shot low. Each shot should be a surprise..... a slow smooth trigger pull will cause the shot to surprise you. Speed will come with repetition. This little graphic may help you analyze your shooting. Good luck and shoot safe.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/analysis.jpg
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Jay,

outstanding shooting tool you posted there. thanks for that. :D
  7. NewfGuy

NewfGuy New Member

Thanks Jay. I'm going to print that and put it in my bag.
    The pistol is a Hi-Point .40S&W
  8. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    The traditional sight picture for adjustable sights is to have the target immediately above the center of the front sight. Most fixed-sight guns are make so that the top of the front sight covers up the point of impact. Since your rear sight is fully adjustable, you can have it however you want it. Raising the rear sight up raises the point of impact on the paper, and lowering the rear sight down lowers the point of impact on the paper. Make sure you've got enough of the kind of ammunition you plan to really use, and a small screwdriver or allen wrench, or whatever your sight needs, and adjust it one click at a time until you're grouping five or six shots pretty close to where you want them to hit the paper.

For sighting in purposes, it's wise to use a sawhorse to rest the gun on, or some other method to steady the gun. That minimizes the variable of your hand moving while trying to aim.
  9. NewfGuy

NewfGuy New Member

Well, I went out last night, and shot from 7 paces. I managed to put 10 out of 10 into a 6" group on the plate. I'll shoot from there until I can get a nice, tight group before I move back. I also steadied the pistol so I could see where I was hitting. I moved the back sight up about 2 clicks, and it's a lot better. Now, I just need to practice. A LOT
  10. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    yeah, me too. I don't have much trouble getting the gun to be accurate, it's me plus the gun I have trouble with.
  11. NewfGuy

NewfGuy New Member

Like I said yesterday:
    Right now the safest place to stand when I'm shooting is directly in front of me.:eek:
  12. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

If your barrel is long enough (i.e., 4 inches or greater), you can buy one of those boresight lasers which insert into the bore to show you the line of fire. Turn the laser on and adjust the sights to align to the laser dot.

Oh - be sure to remove the laser before shooting. Believe it or not, I saw a photo of a guy with a brand-new $1200 high powered rifle that used the boresight laser to align his scope, but failed to remove the laser prior to chambering a live round and shooting. He nearly killed himself and totally destroyed the rifle. A plugged bore is BAD NEWS!

I've found that most accuracy issues are trigger control issues. Learn good trigger control techniques and most of the time, you can put bullet on intended target. Ammo consistency can be an issue from what I gather, but most of the time it is the shooter.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

NewfGuy:

When I started years ago I had the same probelm but I "could not hit the broadside of a barn". Here's what I did to get better:

1) Found the right trigger let off procedure.... extend gun above target, line up front and rear sights focusing on the front sight and inhale, lower the gun onto the target while exhaling half way and hold breath, line up sights on target, squeeze the trigger while holding on target, Bang!, DON"T CLOSE EYES!, follow through by holding on target and trying to remember the last sight picture before the gun went off.

2) Bought a 22 target pistol and shot at least a box or two every time I went to range (weekly!) before shooting any centerfire guns.

3) Bought an adult air pistol and practiced technique every morning for about 15 minutes by shooting into a pellet trap in my garage.

It took about 6 months to a year but I got good. And funny thing, shooting became almost an unconscious effort. I don't have to remember what to do. It just happens because I practiced so much. Practice works! And air gun shooting every day makes proficiency come much faster.

LDBennett