1. sabotidiot

sabotidiot New Member

If I shoot 240gr. sabot hollow point using 100gr. pyrodex pellets 3 inches high at 25yds. where will my sabot hit at 100yds.?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome sabotidiot ! bit hard to work that one out so i'll ask for more info

what calibre , what barrel length , rifled or smooth bore , I'll toss all the info in and work it out for you but as a rough guess ( guess only ) 1" high with a 2" drop for the 75 that follows

100 grains is a big charge

cheers
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I wondered if anyone would take a shot (no pun intended) at that question.

I think we need the height of the sights above the bore, too -

TOUGH one!
  4. sabotidiot

sabotidiot New Member

The gun is a .50 cal. in-line and the not sure the barrel length but would guess 26in. and the scope is 1 1/2in. on see thru mounts. Personally, I wouldn't put those mounts on the gun but I bought it fairly cheap and just left them on it. Too lazy to remove them actually, but I think it has cost me quite a bit of accuracy. Any help solving this equation would be greatly appreciated. Tired of wasting good hunting sabots and powder.
  5. sabotidiot

sabotidiot New Member

Oh! I forgot its a rifled barrel also!
  6. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

hard question, to get 3 inches at 25 yards the angle would be so great you would be 9 to 10 inches high at 100. is a scope with see through mounts only 1.5 inches? It should be measured center of bore to center of scope. am guessing it is more like 2.5 inches. Sorry you only have a 25 yard range to shoot in. I would bring that sabot down to about .5 inches and you would probably be close to 0 at 100 but do not believe anything you do not test yourself. Find a place where you can shoot 100 yards and try it out.
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I zeroed my muzzleloader in at 200 and it is also happens to be zeroed at 25. Honestly, I have no clue where you would hit at 100. Put a target up and find out before you miss a critter by a mile. I do not attempt to make ballistic tables work unless I have at a bare minimum three known points of impact to plug in.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

most BP rifles have sights no more than 1/2" above barrel , and yes it have a big play but the ballistic arc will ( should ) be constant

now working that out i come to 1 1/2 " above 0 at 100 and 3" below by 200 with standard pyrodex

this wont be accurate as i dont have data for pellets ( never used it ) and they are way different

i though i had someone else's data here for it but cannot find it , i did have a excel worksheet on pyrodex pellets but it may have been overwritten ( i stuffed up with a directory recovery a couple years back .. i goof often)

may i suggest a range day , and have this set in your own mind by your own experience

guessing these things is never accurate , we can try , but the results iffy at best
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

According to my best estimation, he will be 12" high at 100 and zeroed at 300. I am basing that on my Blackhorn data because I no longer shoot pyrodex and have never shot it in the form of those stupid pellets.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sounds about right ...
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    ill not hazard a guess either,too many varibles.i will tell you that i have weighed 777 and pyrodex pellets and they are not consistant in weight.thats why now i use 777 loose powder in all my cap locks and inlines. old semperfi
  12. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

If you ever get a chance, try Blackhorn. It cured me of my addiction to 777.
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    are you talking about powder or pellet.i have left 777 in one of my iinlines for one year on purpose and it fired great and no corrosion. old semperfi