The Firearms Forum banner

sights and optics for an AR-15.

4K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  AaronW 
#1 ·
So I have this rifle.

It needs sights. Any suggestions? Part of me says I should put iron sights on it before messing with a red dot. For one I feel that I need those in case I'm ever in a situation where putting new batteries into a sight is not possible, i.e. after the zombie apocalypse. So I'm looking at options but I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree with you about the iron sights. I would put a set of them on before I started with a red-dot or scope. Get the kind that fold down so you can keep them on the rifle even after you get a scope. I have a set of the magpul pop-up sights that I would be happy to send you if you PM your address to me.

I do not know if they are the expensive set of MBUS or the PTS version which is cheaper. As I said, I will be happy to send them to you if you want or need them. BTW, they are either OD Green or brown in color.

#3 ·
If looking at 1X Red Dot sights, be aware of the dot size. A 5 moa dot will cover 5 inches of your target at 100 yards. A big dot is fine for close in, fast work, but precision shooting at distance becomes difficult.

Like everything else AR related, it depends on how you intend to use the rifle.

One of mine carries a 4 moa dot and I had no problem taking a doe at 75 yards. A squirrel might be a little harder to hit.

#4 ·
If you want to put something cheap and reliable you might want to look at Nikon scopes, outstanding scopes for the money. I would ,and did, put their P-223 3x32 before putting a cheap red dot on it. These go for $130 to $150 but can be had for as little as $119 if you look a bit. For $170ish the P-223 3x9x40 is available. Of course the Mag Pul irons would be a good choice if you do not want a scope.

#13 ·
Aaron, I just thought of something. These back up sights that I have will not work if your gas block rail and the rail on the upper receiver are not the same height. They look the same to me but I cannot really tell from the picture you posted. Are both rails the same height?

#23 ·
So I have this rifle.

It needs sights. Any suggestions? Part of me says I should put iron sights on it before messing with a red dot. For one I feel that I need those in case I'm ever in a situation where putting new batteries into a sight is not possible, i.e. after the zombie apocalypse. So I'm looking at options but I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible.
Some red dots have etched reticles that will be functional when the battery dies

Reactions: dbcooper
#25 ·
So I have this rifle.

This article might help:
http://www.at3tactical.com/blogs/ne...ts-how-to-pick-the-best-sights-for-your-ar-15

Reactions: dbcooper
#29 ·
If it is not mentioned in description the sight is to be used on a gas block you can be pretty sure it isn't.
Like this one, it is even mentioned how high it sits : http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/gas-block-front-flip-sight-prod21358.aspx

I am sure they can be found cheaper, you will just have to look around. My metal non-foldable front sight was about $30,- I mentioned needing one at a shop where I was not expecting them to stock one, let alone cheap, but they had it :)

Maybe you can use a rail riser to make a standard set of sights fit?

#37 ·
I put a quad rail on mine. It's the aircraft aluminum 6061-T6 variety (cabelas item # 231190) that didn't require screws to hold it in place. Pop out the composite one and replace w/ the aluminum rail. I got a bi-pod mount (cabela item # 231153) for the picatinny to attach the blackhawk sporster 6-9" swivel/tilt bi-pod along w/ a forward folding handle if I want to use it. The handle has some slight forward/rear slop movement which is normal. I think it's supposed to help w/ the control from recoil. Mounted a small Bushnell optic (cabela item # 713198) on the forearm and it is enough for what I want. Later I'll get some pop up iron sights. I use a pair of truglo risers (cabelas item # 713990) to raise the red dot off the picatinny rail. It's not a combat ready optic, it's a drymag ready optic! Also put a molded rubber butt pad (cabela item # 229867) that self grips the oracle butt stock. Then bought a chrome silicon buffer spring from damage industries. I'm using frog lube for the upper and clp for the lower. All the items periodic go on sale somewhere. Especially now thru mid January.
-
If you get the Bushnell red dot don't get the one w/ white lettering. The led is at the 6 oclock position and makes like a klydascope reflection about the outside edges. The older off yellow lettering is at 4 oclock and works well.
-
The break in takes patients if you shoot, takedown-clean-reassy-shoot-etc to break in the barrel. Winter came and I didn't finish my project.

#38 ·
Adding in a 50 dollar red dot sight really made me want to shoot the gun. I gave it an intro cleaning and will take it to my buddies land this weekend to break the barrel in per DPMS's instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.