sights for colt

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by rocklinskier, Oct 10, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Need some input.
    Seriously considering replacing the dark, hard to see low profile factory sights. Any good suggestions? Any to stay away from? It seems that most of what I see out there require machining of the slide...I would prefer not to do this, but is it the only way to get a good sight?
    I will probably do some more shooting with this gun (new to me) before throwing down cash, but the very first thing I noticed was how the black stock sights dissapeared in the black circle of my range target. :eek: Hard to find a good bead, when all is blacked out. :cool: At the very least, I may try a single dot front first, and then decide if the rear needs to be added

Help appreciated, Let er' rip!!
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

I prefer BoMar adj rear sights, the slide has to be machined and I still have the black/black sight picture. I must be used to it. :) Novak makes a good rear sight but again, machining the slide is necessary. But I think they are now available with a three dot system.

I have used Hi Viz front sights and ALWAYS broke the front blade off during a match. Probably from not paying attention while holstering my weapon.

Heinie makes a straight 8 sight that works well but I'm not sure about machining the slide . Just make up your mind and "bite the bullet". Look over the line of 1911 sights and see what you like best.

Oh, I almost forgot about Chip McCormick Corp. They make a sight that looks like a Novak that will fit in the dovetail of your 1911. I have put them on a customers pistol and he was pleased with them. Check them out.
  3. sabre03

sabre03 New Member

I am a big fan of the Heine str 8 sights and have them on two of my 1911's. It does take some machining but they are worth it. If you install Heine I recommend you get them with The Novak cut; this gives you more options if you want to change them later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I opted for the BoMar Target sights, front and rear. As sabre03 says some of these front sights takes a lot of machining, and you must remove a lot of metal from the front of the slide for instalation. Once that decision is made, you won't have other options, such is the case with the BoMar front sights. I modified the front sight on my gun so that it is ramped (instead of a tall square post), and painted it white. I modified the front sight for two reasons. One is that there is no way to remove it, and replace it with something else, and second, it would hang on the holster when drawn.