silencer info

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Helldorado, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

was just wondering about them. are they legal? where can you get them? do they only go on certain guns?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Very wide-ranging question. Basically, the answer is yes they are legal but that varies from state to state and jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Try these internet searches to get some background education on suppressors:

National Firearms Act of 1934
    firearm suppressor
    Sionics
    Class 3 (or III) firearms
  3. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

I belive that you have to get a License or register your suppressor with the BATF. It will definatly get you put on one of their lists as a subversive. After all, why would anybody want a suppressor unless they were up to no good. Of course we know the answer, it's because it would be fun as the dickins to shoot a firearm with one attached.
    Good shooting, John K
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Federal law allows a private citizen to possess a silencer, but to do it legally is exactly the same process as buying a machinegun.
    You submit a request to batf, they send a packet, you fill all the stuff out, fingerprint cards, etc, and send it back with a letter from your CLEO stating that there is no reason you cannot possess such a devise, and a check for $200 for the tax stamp, and wait.
    Ninety days or so, they get back to you and then you can take possession. Most Class 3 dealers, and manufacturers, will assist in the paperwork, which expedites things.
    If you want to build, or attempt to build, such a devise, you must go thru the same routine to get approval to build a silencer.
    Present thought is that simple possession of the internals of a silencer constitutes possession of the devise, and this can get you up to TEN years, free rent, if convicted; be careful!
    Texas has no State laws prohibiting possession, though your County or City ordinances may be more restrictive.
    Hope this helps.
  5. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

I thought the tax stamp might be $250, and also I think its that per silencer. Unless you manage to buy an MP5-SD5 with the seal silencer you MUST use sub-sonic bullets otherwise you ruin the silencer. There are VERY few silencers that take supersonic rounds and the price of them is insane. If you are really interested http://world.guns.ru/ammo/sp-e.htm there are russian bullets and special guns that fire silent ammo and what not. They have no range, but are kinda cool.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

The tax is $200. But, if you purchased, say, an MP5 with an integral surpressor, it would STILL be $200, for both the machine gun, and surpressor. 'course, the mg is gonna add about 3k to the price of the surpressor!
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

you all have it right but the waiting period , could take a year

.22 cb's are about a low signature as you can get with out going to a silencer , they sound like a pellet rifle ,but a heck of a drop at 100 yrds
  8. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

thanks for clearing th e price up :)

you can buy a silenced ruger mark II at a gun show (usually price includes tax stamp). I was going to. The seller made it sound like you did not have to do anything special. But then again he prolly wanted to sell me something

A real MP5-SD5 like the one I mentioned is at least 5 gs, if its not, then its a conversion and non an original in most cases. Prices flucuate between 5 and 10 gs for that model in full auto. You can get a semi for 3 like stash said.
    Stash I better burn my wet suit, neoprene is used as internals in silencers sometimes :p . hehe You know what is hilarious? There is a paintball like game called airsoft and some of those silencers are pretty much exactely the same as a real one, and have been used as such before. There is a replica USP silencer that will go right on the real thing, and if you put the right materials inside, would work perfectly, that scares me. I had a replica silencer for a time, but I sold it because it was to close to a real mac 10 silencer. A buddy of mine had some loose airsoft gear in his back seat at a random insurance check and the cops about crapped their pants when they saw the silencer.

Yeah anything federal takes a while.
  9. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

whoa dang! Thanx for all the info...but I see alot about silencers with machine guns, and i have no interest in buying a machine gun. Not yet anyway:cool: More along the lines of a .22 or .38 cal pistol. Maybe even .357
  10. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Helldorado

you might want to stay away from those kit guns also ,i know they are temptying
  11. Helldorado

Helldorado New Member

kit guns? sorry postal i dont think i know what yer talkin about
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

The fed's have some funny terms. A short barreled rifle (less than 16"), is a(an) any other weapon, by their terms, having, I believe, a $5 tax, but all the paper bullshit a machinegun would entail; so is a sawed off shotgun, with a sub 18" barrel.
    My point with the MP5 was that, if you want a (dedicated) weapon, with a surpressor, you can get twice the mileage out of your tax (stamp) dollar if it is an integral surpressor.
    The arithmetic: Tax on a machine gun-$200; Tax on a surpressor-$200; Total, $400: But if the machinegun and integral surpressor (like in, part of the machinegun, i.e., vented barrel) is purchased like that, Tax is $200. Savings-$200
    If, say, one desired a surpressed AR-15, with a short barrel, to compensate for the length of the surpressor, an integral surpressor would be essentially tax free, besides being more efficient, if the weapon was purchased as a unit.
    You could not, legally, remount the surpressed upper on another lower, as then you would be creating another (class 3) firearm, but you WOULD save $200 over the tax on a separate (class 3) firearm/ surpressor purchase.
    AWC has a website with a lot of state of the art info on sound levels, dimensions, etc, as well as applications. Bring lots of money. As is usual "Good, but not cheap"